Helmet or Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Soap

by Soap

I am running in sprint and olympic time trials. I am riding on a cervelo P2 with shimano R501 wheels and Giro Atmos helmet. I know there is the technical wind tunnel stuff that is talked about in mags and all over the web, but I am wondering from non researched datat, not just for aero effect.
Do the more aero wheels leave your legs more rested for the run or are you more effecient with them so that when you get to the run your legs are more ready to go? Or should I just cave get the helmet?

Plus, wheels make a bike look sexy!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/ ... htm?page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like biggest performance gains in descending order:
skinsuit
aerobars for best body position
aero helmet

wheels
closely followed by using shoe covers.

I suspect not wearing gloves is more important than wheel selection,

There was a recent article on the MIT (USA nerd school) cycling teams sweeping Team Time Trials based on their nerdly studies, here is a quote from them:
" How you put your race number on matters more than having an aero wheel; today, we glued on our numbers to get them to fit flatter. "
http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bik ... enge-nerds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are not big fans of wasting money on wheels.

The more aero wheels give the faster feeling in the mind, but the benefits are rarely quantifiable on the road until you have ticked off other factors (like aerodynamic position on the bike).
All the dentists and insurance brokers ride around Sunday's on Enve SMARTs, it clearly makes them feel faster than adjusting the spacer towers on their R5Ca's.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Dollars for gains wise it's no contest between the ops two choices... Helmet. Your atmos vents as well as it is a poor aero choice for tt.

Actually, after watching more than a couple of tunnel tests, the list would be body position, clothes and helmet, wheels... The helmet is a big one but It's amazing how much time is lost with floppy clothing.

A days end you're just guessing though, Tunnel time is easily the best money spent.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The helmet will be the most beneficial when reducing your overall drag coefficient. However, the wheels can improve ride quality and predictability, and be much more noticeable than having a slippery head.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

reggiebaseball wrote:
There was a recent article on the MIT (USA nerd school) cycling teams sweeping Team Time Trials based on their nerdly studies, here is a quote from them:
" How you put your race number on matters more than having an aero wheel; today, we glued on our numbers to get them to fit flatter. "
http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bik ... enge-nerds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Electrical tape/ packaging tape for race numbers! Keeps them flat and smooth, and the organisers won't get annoyed at damaged numbers as you can pull it all off before giving them back.

Wheels don't have to be too pricey, the latest and greatest will be I admit, but second-hand wheels can be a bargain if you are patient. I picked up a HED 3 front and a Corima disc (last gen flat) and for less than £500 in total. admitedly they needed a little TLC with new freehub and bearings. But still a bargain compared to new. Old Hed discs are often up for sale at bargain basement prices in the UK. They aren't very weight weenie though!