Titanium longevity

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilson78

by wilson78

I could well be opening myself up to some critisism here for what i suspect is a silly question, but have tried the search to no avail, so what the heck!
Has anyone else on here, having owned a ti frame for a number of years ( and many miles ), noticed any increase in flex around the BB over that time? As a conservative estimate i would say its done about 25,000 miles now.
Before i go on, i should point out that i am fully aware that most ti frames are known to be somewhat more flexy than carbon or aluminium, and that forms part of its appeal - adding to the long distance comfort for which its renowned.
However i seem to be noticing quite a bit more than in the past, and its a little disconcerting when you look down and see the frame flex visibly under load when sprinting / climbing out of the saddle. Looking at the frame, there is no visible damage and the welds look as good as the day i bought it. Naturally this flex is much less noticable on my aluminium training bike.
It may just be that i am putting out more watts than previously, having upped the training intensity lately and therefore nothing to be concerned about.
Alternatively, it could be because i'm starting to consider another new bike and looking to justify my obvious need for something stiffer and lighter by finding fault...
Suspect its the latter, but curious none the less.
My Titanium Lemond (RIP):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trek:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109635

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikedoc

by bikedoc

probably in your head or have you change wheels lately.

wilson78

by wilson78

Have been running the same set of wheels for quite a long time now, so don't think they are to blame.
Pretty sure it is all in my head too, but you never know!
The Trek:

artray

by artray

I think you should go with your instincts on this .You have had the frame a while and now you notice something does not feel right I would get it checked out to be safe .

wilson78

by wilson78

Well that answers it - just had another look at it, was spending all my effort checking the bottom bracket as thats were it felt liike the flex was.
However, this beauty has got to be the culprit.....
Hopefully the LBS will honour the "life time warranty" that was supposed to come with this frame, wish me luck!
The Trek:

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

Nice bit of irony that the crack runs through the safety warning.

Incidently, it's widely reported that cracks do increase flex. Hope it gets sorted under warranty.

wilson78

by wilson78

The irony hasn't been lost on me! :lol:
The Trek:

artray

by artray

Your instincts were right ,the force is strong with you young skywalker errrr wilson78

wilson78

by wilson78

Ah yes the force, maybe i need to practice the old Jedi mind tricks before taking it in...
"This frame is suffering from a manufacturing defect, change it for something shiny you will..." etc etc
"Yes of course sir, this frame is faulty, change it for something shiny we will..."
Happy days! :beerchug:
The Trek:

artray

by artray

:thumbup:

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I had a Russian Ti frame that cracked around the bottom of the downtube at exactly the same location by the cable bosses. Took me several rides to find it as it felt like the back wheel was loose.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

They should honor it trek is fairly good with warranty claims that I have done

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Were you the original owner? If not you may be SOL. I have a friend who bought a second hand Lemond spine that disbonded shortly after the sale and was pretty much brushed off (as is their right). Good luck.

JR

wilson78

by wilson78

Took it to the LBS today, am the original owner and bought it from them new, so they are 99% sure that they will do something - its off to be checked so that they can confirm its not crash damage. No danger about that as its in immaculate condition otherwise and never even been dropped, let alone crashed.
Sadly with nothing comparable in the current Trek lineup its likely to be a Madone that they replace it with. Nothing wrong with those of course as they are very, very fine frames and can make cracking builds. Its just they dont appeal to me personally as much as the recently deceased Ti frame, i'm definately more a fan of the grey metal. :(
Have got the rosary beads out in the hope that a NOS Arivee is available, but think i will be out of luck with that.
Had a better look at the crack as well whilst there and reckon i was pretty lucky that it didn't fail completely, it was almost all the way around the down tube. As i was descending on Dartmoor at close to 50mph at the weekend...that might have left a mark!! :unbelievable:
The Trek:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alex_ucsb
Shop Owner

by Alex_ucsb

You could sell the replacement bike and get a ti frame of your choosing, however.