c4 wheels hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

devinci

by devinci

Hello all

hope you guys have much xmas present atm :D

I am currently looking to offer an xmas present to.... MYSELF

I am looking seriously at a c4 3.0 wheelset. I searched on the forum for info but couldnt find anything usefull.

Any of you guys know about this wheelset, especially about the hubs, since the rims are kinlins. Are they good hubs? reliable? they a pretty light sure, but what about their strength?

Thanks for inputs

dont :beerchug: too much

devinci

by devinci

maybe if I post a link it could help you guys?

here it is: http://www.c-4bicyclecomponents.com/RoadHubs.html

:up:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Phill P

by Phill P

Some of the hub pics look like either chosen or formula hubs. The majority of small wheel brands (and even many large ones) use these hubs. You'd even be surprised who get "custom" designed hubs made by these brands and then call them thier own. The internals are all the same.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

devinci

by devinci

Interresting. I would use them as training on nice days wheel and racing wheels. My only concern is durability and maintenance of the hubs... I dont know much about these

Tristan

by Tristan

Phill P wrote:Some of the hub pics look like either chosen or formula hubs.

From the C4 faq page:

C4 faq wrote: * Hubs are picked from our range according to needed specifications. Some are manufactured in Germany or
Holland using existing designs, others are made to our own designs in the following steps:

1. Hubs shells forged in Taiwan (due to lack of forging facilities in the U.S.).
2. Shells are finished in the U.S. followed by boring of bearing pockets as the final stage.
3. Axles and spacers are U.S. Made.
4. Hub shells are assembled, using either Phil Wood Stainless or high quality ABEC-5 ceramic bearings.
5. Hubs are subject to rigorous final QC checks before being released.

This is an interesting way of putting a hub together but it makes sense in some ways - the hub shell and freehub body are the two hardest (most expensive) parts of the hub to make and by finishing the hubs locally they have a bit more control over the finished product, delivery cycles, stock levels and all the other essential parts of the business.
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels

Leloby

by Leloby

Excellent. As long as the shells can really take radial lacing and not stretch (like some boutique hubs) with spoke tensions >90kgf.

I like the look of the oversized ones.

devinci

by devinci

thanks guys

I will be purchasing them now im pretty decided about it.
I can substitue de kinlin 30 rim for an xr-200 thats nice thing too!

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm curious about the C4 hubs now....

Wondering if some WW members have experienced these hubs over the last period...

....And have some real life reviews !!

Thanks,

Louis :)

devinci

by devinci

I created a topic about these hubs 3-4 days ago, didnt have a lot of reply. I am about to order some wheels with these hubs (fh76, rh205). I am also curious about the quality.

here is the link to my topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67044

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I've got some experience with the hubs. So far all I have are good things to say about them. When we considered bringing them in last year, we were a bit skeptical thinking it was just another rebadged jt or some such hub. However we looked at them with an open mind and now I'm quite impressed. I find myself recommending them more and more often.

They have really managed to balance their traits well. Shells are forged in Taiwan and almost everything else is done in the U.S. I think even the axles are machined here. Their design is pretty basic, but it works. They have nice bearings, either phil wood stainless in the lower end versions and a really nice ceramic hybrid in the higher end hubs. The weight is nice, and personally I can't think of anything that really compares to it in the price range. Certainly nothing as light and with nice ceramic bearings in that price range. I like the interchangeability of the shimano/campag bodies. I like that they are very simple to service. I like the bearings are very high quality and not too small. I like that they are easily available. And I like that I know they continue to refine them as is evidenced by the new versions the FH76 and RH205.

I know there are at least several hundred sets out there right now and to date I've seen only 1 complaint about them. That complaint was an oring that was undersized in one of the end caps and allowed the end cap to come off too easily and it was lost. Short of that one defective o-ring, I can't really say anything bad about them.

For a comparison I'd say they are closest to DT240. However the C4 are lighter, less expensive and use a much nicer bearing.

I'll report back if we see any failures with them.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Are they available seperately?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Both topics have been merged. Please run a search before posting a new question. Thanks!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

I've been looking into this manufacturer and am super excited to see they have a 22mm wide rim model for 2010. CA2.4OS, or COS, or LOS!

The COS is 24mm deep, 22mm wide, with Aerolites on the FH76 and 215 hubs (20/28), and includes their Ultralight ti skewers and special internal/external AL nipple. 1444 grams (rim is 455). 3 Yr. crash replacement included (one per wheel), on top of a 5 yr. materials and workmanship. WOW.. This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for.

Check out the news here - http://www.c-4bicyclecomponents.com/News.html

Maybe Madcow can chime in and tell us when Fairwheel will be carrying the new 2010 C-4 stuff...

devinci

by devinci

look at the thread where a WW member built a 50mm carbon rimmed wheelset arround c4 hubs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Got it. I'll watch his feedback to see how well they ride/stand up over the long haul.

I was more commenting because of the wide (22mm) rim option. There was a thread earlier about Veloctiy a23s, zipp's new 101s, HED c2s, etc. This is another option for those on the look out for light (ish), wide, clincher options.

I'm tempted to be all over this on the strength of Madcow's feedback.