Help Please!!! I need to lose 108 grams as cheap as possible

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

Thanks for the suggestion wolf. I looked all over the internet and can't seem to find much that weigh less. I couldn't find any 44cm bars that were lighter. Some 40cm, but that wouldn't work. I found stems that were approx 9gr lighter. But prob not worth spending 200$ for 9 gr. Especially since my stem also had a claimed weight of 120.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Yeah your on the money with your stem and bar.

Did you check my build?

Ali bottle cage bolts?
Kcnc ti seat post clamp?
Dura ace 7900 front mech?
Kcnc QRs?
Zero gravity brakes (even the negative Gs that I went for with more power)... Might of seen some today on eBay...... (not mine, I'm keeping mine!)

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

Hey running,

I picked up some 30gr skewers an chopped my seatpost. Which helped me reach my initial goal (13.99lbs); however, It has made me want to keep going.

I am looking at the planet x brakeset. The Zero's are nice, but too expensive for my blood. The Planet x would save 80gr over my force set. Im going to start looking more carefully at my bolts. The cage bolts are 11.5 for the 4. I am more interested in the brake bolts that you mention in your postings. The long bolt in the front fork is rather heavey as I remember. I may have to look at the weight of that. Im definitly going to look into the seat clamp. Im a little iffy on the DA front Derailleur. My OCD would be going crazy if i put that on with my force setup. The Red casette and chain already bug me a bit. But I justify it because they are atleast both SRAM.

I can get real close to 13lbs if I change tires, spindles, brakes, cables, and the expander nut. I think I may wait a bit to tinker though. I just started riding in April. This is my first real bike (did a lot of bmx in the early 90s). I love working on it, but I need to start riding it more. So I think I need to start saving for a bike computer. I have been using mapmyride on my phone but it continuously screws up.

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

I know what you mean about mixing groupsets! Looks really bespoke though.....

Yeah the zero gravity brakes come with campy mounting bolts. They are Ali and weight a few grams. All brakes use the same pitch of thread so all you need to do is take front and rear off, the rear is the shortest length, and the front is one of the longest available, measure the length and order and refit! Shimano and SRAM bolts are steel and are best part of 15g+ and I bought one for a few pounds... There's another 10-20g reduced for a few pounds.

If your bottle bolts are 11.5g. My A2Z Ali ones were less than 1g each and a pack of 4 was about £4! That's another 6g+ off.

I also ditched the bar end plugs. They have no function on a summer bike as there is not going to be any wet road crud getting in there. The standard cannondale ones were over 20g the pair and I also had some bontrager buzz-kills which were over 80g!!!!!

Keep up updated about the top cap as that is an area I'd love to loose some weight there

It even been riding a year! Well keep it up! Keep an eye out for debris in your tyres if your running thin inner tubes. If you find anything let the tyre down, pinch the tyre and pick it out the re pump!

Garmin computers are good, and the new baby one is very light! :D

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

Pic

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

Pic take 2
Attachments
send35.jpg

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

This was the best pic i could get with the 160kb size limit. Cant see much. I have been a member of winemaking, woodworking, education, and historical forums...never had such a small size limit. Any tips on posting bigger pics with out having torape the detail?

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Upload your pics to Flickr. Then go to share image. It'll drop down a window with a load of text. Copy n paste that text into a post on WW. Then submit. Ddahhhdaaahhh!!!!

JWolf

by JWolf

What's inside your fork. Some builds stick huge star bolts in there. My Colnago has a huge deep contraption that probably weights 3 ounces. Your can save some weight there for cheap. Fair wheel has some slick light star nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Hi Jwolf, (loving your other posts right now!!!)

Supersix comes with a fsa compressor which dropped down into the fork but is all part of the top cap, yes this does weigh a ton! Haven't weighed it but I'd guess knocking on 100g! When you take this top cap off the fork tube is totally empty inside. Nothing else to remove.

I did look on fsa website and they do do a carbon version but it's like 9g lighter.....

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... RESSOR-PRO

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

The whole top cap\compressor weighs 50gr. The ultrastar and top cap combo is about 14. So its a good drop; however, its not overly cheap.

JWolf

by JWolf

That's over an ounce for 42 bucks. That is pretty cheap now a days I think. And doesn't hurt the bike at all. I think the ultrastar works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

switch from evo corsa cx's to maxxis xenith equipe legere (not sure how long they would last in the real world) and you could save 150g of rotating mass immediately... might get a few puncture though!

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

I just picked up some bottle cage bolts. Dropped tw from 12g-4g. Also order new seatpost clamp, stem bolts, and ti spindle for my pedals. should save 18g on seatpost clamp. New stem bolts should shave about 8g and spindles save about 56g.

I'm looking at the kcnc cb1 brakes. Would rather the c7 but it doesn't look like powercordz will work with the 7. Cb1 will save about 105g over my force and powercordz appear to save about 120g. Also picked up some supersonic tires which are 105g lighter than my attack force.

Looking at the ultrastar expander but it is currently out of stock.

I also am interested in the alloy bowtie insert for my speedplays but I can't figure out if my light action pedals take the zero or x series insert.

Well on my way to 12.99lbs!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

Since my last post I have dropped her down to 12.7!
All bolts are now aluminum or titanium. Carbon rear mech assembly, hylix all carbon saddle, tuned the pedals(ti posts, inserts, and bolts), added powercordz prime, ciamillo brakes, veloplugs, near far derailleur kit, supersonic tires, trimmed seat post and bar drops, lizard skin tape.

Could lose more with extra lite seat post and stem but I like the looks of the FSA colour scheme.
Also looking into btp shifter clamps and hoods as well as fyber-lyte chain rings. All that would be a very expensive way to drop me to around 12.4...