Help Please!!! I need to lose 108 grams as cheap as possible

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

Housing and cables a sram gore. It weighs less than the jagwire race setup it replaced. I plan on cutting the seatpost. I have about 3 inches of post I can afford to cut.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

gore ride-on is a lot heavier than powercordz+nokon

it would save you most of the 100g, shift better, and you won't be waiting for the coating on the gore cables to peel off and clog the liner

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

How is the Conti supersonic tube working out for you? I'm concerned about durability. Thanks.

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

I never heard of the powercordz. Looking into it they do seem very light. Durability is good? For 70$ for derailleur and 50$ for brake they should be made of gold.

The supersonic tubes have worked great so far. They cut my tube weight in half. Have about a hundred miles on current set with no issues. Guess it depends on the roads you ride too. I have country roads that are fairly clean.

madmole

by madmole

I have 2000 miles on supersonics and 4000s on the road bike. No punctures

about 4000 miles with supersonics on the MTB with Panaracer Cinders, again no punctures

My theory is they are so supple they deform around sharp objects., I have no regrets in losing 50g per wheel!

Also you can fit 2 supersonic spares in the space and weight of one normal spare
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks for the quick reply. I will order a few SS and try them out. I'm already rolling on open corsa CX so the SS should get me closer to the tubular ride. Currently I'm rolling on heavy butyls and I carry two spares. So 200 grams easily saved.

sungod

by sungod

Jwhelan939 wrote:I never heard of the powercordz. Looking into it they do seem very light. Durability is good? For 70$ for derailleur and 50$ for brake they should be made of gold.
<...>

just get the cables, not the outer, also get a length of the liner, it's cheaper that way

then get a nokon kit, use the powercordz liner throughout, *not* the nokon one

as long as you install correctly and do not nick the cables you'll get a few years out of them, they dont stretch at all - once the nokon etc. has snugged in - which takes several rides, so it's important to start with high tension and leave a loop of cord so you can pull more through and reclamp if necessary - but the shifting/braking is *much* better than with the gore ride on

if you need to change front/rear mech it's not advisable to use powercordz as once clamped the outer is squished and may strip if you try to refit

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Sorry for the digression but where could I get a good deal on the Conti supersonic tubes in the US? A few places are selling them at $28 USD and that's ridiculous for a tube.

I'm thinking perhaps the 75g Michelin Aircomp ultralight at $9 USD might be a good compromise. Thanks.

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

SO i have to ask.. what is included in the MISC?

The gas you use to inflate your tyres must also be calculated.

Or is this part of MISC?
Mass Weenie

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

A guy on the big auction site has had the supersonics cheap lately. I ordered 5 for less then 28$. The miscellaneous includes cables and housing, barrel adjusters, bar ends, bar tape, grease and air. It all adds up a lot quicker than you would think.

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

A guy on the big auction site has had the supersonics cheap lately. I ordered 5 for less then 28$. The miscellaneous includes cables and housing, barrel adjusters, bar ends, bar tape, grease and air. It all adds up a lot quicker than you would think.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thank you. I just bought some :D

Jwhelan939

by Jwhelan939

Thank you for all your replies. I cut the post and picked up some new skewers. The scale currently sits at 13.99!!!
I must admit, however, that the prospect of 13lbs bike is now in my mind. If I switch the brakes, expander, housing, cables, and tires I will be around 13.24. Definitely something to think about.

I tried to post a pic for you all but the forum won't load more than 160kb and my camera won't take anything smaller than about 165. Sorry.

Thanks again for your help!

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Then you'll be trying to figure out how to get it to 12.99 :D

It's a disease!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

FYI. I just got my titanium replacement X2 spindles from tispindle.com. Gorgeous looks and weight!!! It was super easy to swap the part as I didn't have a tight torx screw like many have experienced. My pedal with the new spindle came in at 153 g. I went with the standard length spindle which is a few grams heavier than the short version. Definitely a recommended upgrade for the WW.

I also received my Conti SS. I was surprised at how thin they are. I had to wear my sunglasses while pumping them as I was afraid they might blow up on me :shock: I put 120psi in them as a stress test and so far so good. Thanks to all for the input.