Why doesn't Ribble Endurance SLR disc come out lighter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

billythestickboy

by billythestickboy

I'm on the look out for a lightweight aero frameset with integrated front end and have seen the Ribble Endurance SLR disc with supposedly 850g frame, 400g fork and 330g for the integrated bars+stem but every review I can find if it comes out nearly 8kg even with dura ace and decent wheels. Is this just Ribble being 'optimistic' with their weights?

Seems like Venges and Scott Addict RC come up a good bit lighter as complete bikes

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-e ... rameset-2/

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-e ... rameset-2/

mag

by mag

Yes it seems so, see this example of Endurance SL: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157590&start=60#p1547691

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

billythestickboy

by billythestickboy

Thanks, that's a great post. It's what I love about this forum, you can see people's posts with the real weights and save so much frustration. Looks like it's still between the venge and the addict rc for me. Lots of good info on here for both

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

"Dork" disc and "light weight" don't belong in the same sentence. Motorcycle brakes are heavy. The disc frames require significantly more structural reinforcements in the forks and in the upper/lower non-driveside chainstays. It's gonna add weight. Want light? Get a rim brake model.

billythestickboy

by billythestickboy

Yep thanks but I've heard those arguments before. Aero doesn't equal light weight either, so that's not my only focus. I just really like the look and the feel of disc brakes.