SRAM Red eTap A2 rear derailleur troubles - sleeping

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blackmesa

by blackmesa

Good afternoon all

I joined a year ago but only now I am submitting my very first post. (is that ok? did not see any forum rules about this)

Last month, I've bought a "new" Cervélo R5 2019. Changed the groupset to SRAM Red eTap, 11-speed. But as this bike is intended for climbing and the group came with a short cage rear derailleur, I ordered the new "wifli" 11-speed rear derailleur, which is not called wifli anymore. The model ID is RD-RED-E-A2, so I call it a Red eTap A2 rear derailleur...

Anyway, installed it, charged the batteries, paired it, it works! Until... you stop shifting for 30 seconds and then it goes to sleep and doesn't wake up anymore. Shifting the front derailleur, moving the bicycle, changing the batterie, ... it all doesn't work.

I have sent the derailleur back today but wanted to know if anyone else had this with this new model, or with the older 11-speed models, or even with the 12-speed ones? Was there something else that could solve it or do I just wait until the shop sends me a working one back?

Kind regards
blackmesa.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

I had the A2 RD for about a year and didn't experience that problem. I also had the original Wi-Fli 11-speed eTap RD before that and now own several AXS RDs, and I haven't experienced that particular problem with any of them. I think you've just been unlucky and got a faulty one. There really isn't much you can do with these things apart from update the firmware via the app, which probably won't correct this kind of fault. I've still got a Force AXS RD that was replaced under warranty, which just chews through a fully charged battery in less than a day sitting idle, and nothing I have done has managed to alter this.

blackmesa

by blackmesa

Hmm, what a pity. I wonder why on earth this happens. If it is software related, shouldn't they all behave like this? Thanks for the input by the way.

Also, this "sleep" function.. I have the first generation eTap on my competition bicycle. I never have to press the pair button on the derailleur when I want to take it for a spin, or did these older derailleurs not come with a "sleep" function perhaps?

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have two groups of etap and one AXS and they all go to sleep after a certain period of time but I normally just hit the shifter buttons to wake it in the morning when I am heading out on the bike. The only reason is to check the batterys for charge but it does sound like you have a faulty RD. I dont know what the time out is for sleep but during a days ride I have never had to wake it whenever we make stops for coffee.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bobones

by bobones

They have a movement sensor, so they sleep when the bike is stationary for a short while, but wake up when moved. There's no need to press any buttons.

blackmesa

by blackmesa

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:13 pm
I have two groups of etap and one AXS and they all go to sleep after a certain period of time but I normally just hit the shifter buttons to wake it in the morning when I am heading out on the bike. The only reason is to check the batterys for charge but it does sound like you have a faulty RD. I dont know what the time out is for sleep but during a days ride I have never had to wake it whenever we make stops for coffee.
Yeah, with my other bike I also just press the shifter button and it shifts right away, even after a couple of days with not touching that bike. I have reached out to support@sram.com and they told me the derailleur should stay awake for five minutes and only then go to sleep.

DaveS

by DaveS

I thought that it was common knowledge to avoid buying 11speed SRAM etap. FWIW, the new 12 speed AXS is also etap. I've had no problems with 12 speed on three bikes.

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/road

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

In the past I have had to hit the shifter buttons on my wifes etap 11sp a couple times to wake the FD but it always comes to life and there is never any issues outside of that. The only reason I am doing this is to check battery status and if it flashes a red light its time to change the battery and charge the existing one. I have three spare batteries and I always check status before riding the bike that day. My wifes bike sits dormant for the winter so I do check it for battery status during that time and then charge the battery if it flashes red.
The only real issue I have had over the years so far is a RD crapped out on my etap 11 and I broke a battery tab which I glued back in place and its still going but it was also replaced under warranty. I also purchased one new battery during the wait for a replacement so three spares is nice and the old batt fit the AXS.
So far I am happy and also the AXS is backward compatible with the etap 11.

blackmesa

by blackmesa

Update on this matter: the derailleur was sent back and I received the money. From another shop (Wiggle), I have bought the same derailleur and again it gives exactly the same symptoms. I did notice that the plastic inner box was damaged, perhaps someone else returned it because it was not functioning and they just sold it again.

Anyway, it is a real bummer.

blackmesa

by blackmesa

Another update: if I give it a flick of my finger, all of a sudden I can shift again, without pressing the pair button. after 30 seconds it's asleep again though. Ordered a third one now with exactly the same symptoms... are all of these RDs like this?? what the hell.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I dont think I have seen anyone with this much issue on Sram RD. Certainly havent read any of the Sram threads showing this either well not repeatedly.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

blackmesa wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:44 pm
Another update: if I give it a flick of my finger, all of a sudden I can shift again, without pressing the pair button. after 30 seconds it's asleep again though. Ordered a third one now with exactly the same symptoms... are all of these RDs like this?? what the hell.
How are you trying to shift the RD? With the pair button or with your shifters? Also have you checked the battery levels of the CR2032 in the shifter bodies? A 2019 bike is old enough that they could need replacing.

I've had 7 different 1st gen etap RD's, short and WiFli, as well as 3 of the new A2 11s RDs, and never experienced the issue your'e describing. Seems like others users also don't share this issue.

AZR3

by AZR3

blackmesa wrote:
My bike is next to me atm and just pressing the shifters, without moving the bike, the RD doesnt respond, spun the crank and then tried to shift and it woke up and shifted...20-30 sec later tried it again and RD is back to sleep. Thats how its suppose to work

If you're not riding the rear derailuer sleeps pretty quickly but that doesnt happen when your rideing because of the movement, even on down hills if youre not pedaling. Im sure each of your RD's were fine, its how the system works

blackmesa

by blackmesa

yinzerniner wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:13 am
blackmesa wrote:
How are you trying to shift the RD? With the pair button or with your shifters? Also have you checked the battery levels of the CR2032 in the shifter bodies? A 2019 bike is old enough that they could need replacing.

I've had 7 different 1st gen etap RD's, short and WiFli, as well as 3 of the new A2 11s RDs, and never experienced the issue your'e describing. Seems like others users also don't share this issue.
I shift with the shifters, yes. Both battery levels of the shifters should be good, the LED is green when pressing the shifters. The remarkable thing is that, if paired to a first gen short cage RD, this problem does not exist. Also, I tried two different pair of 11-speed eTap shifters, all of which with green LED lights indicating that the battery is still good. Problem remains.
AZR3 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:27 am
blackmesa wrote:
My bike is next to me atm and just pressing the shifters, without moving the bike, the RD doesnt respond, spun the crank and then tried to shift and it woke up and shifted...20-30 sec later tried it again and RD is back to sleep. Thats how its suppose to work

If you're not riding the rear derailuer sleeps pretty quickly but that doesnt happen when your rideing because of the movement, even on down hills if youre not pedaling. Im sure each of your RD's were fine, its how the system works
I've e-mailed SRAM Support and they told me explicitly that it should be five minutes instead of thirty seconds. If it would work like you are describing, I am ok with it. But cycling on the rollers or having the bike on the repair stand and turning the cranks, it still stops working after those thirty seconds and each time I have to press the RD button to make it function again. Shifting the FD/keep on pedalling/... nothing works except for pressing that button or giving it a flick of the finger on the right part of the RD. Even shaking the RD when I have it in my hand, does not work.

blackmesa

by blackmesa

Installed this second RD just to try it out and YES, it works! The movement of the chain when turning the cranks is now activating it. (this is what the first RD did not do). Finally this nightmare is over, thanks for the input, people!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com