Thm fibula

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

logy

by logy

People using these, are they worth the cost or are gravitas a better option?

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Im curious also. Im looking at the ax lightness 3000 as well.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

logy

by logy

Had zero grav before and these were fidly to maintain so will not go down that road again.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I have both THM's and Ax 3000's and weigh 100kgs
The Ax3000's are obviously lighter but are surprisingly effective. They do struggle for quick stops on descents if you are a big rider like me and are not an apples-for-apples substitute for Shimano/Campy/SRAM brakes. They are great for special WW bike projects where a degree in performance reduction is accepted in the interests of weight but are not my idea of a everday bike brake - more like a fine weather show bike brakeset.
The THM's are excellent - particularly the new version with double pivot both front and rear. In my view they stop as well as the DA 7900 calipers they replaced with bettter modulation. I have these on my everday bike.
Both brakesets can accommodate wider wheels and stay centred when set up - something that anecdotally the Ciamillo brakes have reportedly had some issues with.
Both brakesets are easy to ease-off for removig wheels etc without need for tools etc if you are not running Campy levers.
The lighter Ax3000 brakes are more fragile - particularly when setting up - due to the very small bolts etc which can shear off easily if you are not careful.
Both brakesets look superb.
If you end up going down the Ax3000 path I am selling mine - with the aftermarket Powercordz connection bolts - as I can only justify one set of boutique brakes - pm me if interested
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

:search:

You'll find a few on the board in use and shoud be able to get some feedback from those members.

You can also check the FWB site for their test results.

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

We've have a few pairs going for a year or so. Excellent brakes, like said anove stops like DA w better modulation!
A set survived the Tour of Flanders sportif.
rolobikes

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

I have never used Thm fibula, I have used Zero Gravity's and went with gravitas SL on my wider Enve SES 3.4 Tubulars, I Really like them :thumbup:

SSB

by SSB

Did you have to shave down the brake pads to use the Gravitas with such a wide rim?

I was wondering that about the Fibulas as well.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

coppercook62

by coppercook62

My Firecrest fit barley. They are totally open.

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

SSB wrote:Did you have to shave down the brake pads to use the Gravitas with such a wide rim?

I was wondering that about the Fibulas as well.

I have lots of clearance on my 26mm wide front rim,
You do not have to shave down the brake pads with Ciamillo brakes ,You can get their low profile pad holders for 23mm and higher,

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have owned the Gravitas, Ax Orion, EE cycle works and the usual Campy, Shimano. The EE Cyclerworks are hands down my favorite. Best power, modulation and very easy to setup. The Ax brakes are the lightest, good power and easy to setup. The gravitas have OK power, poor modulation and the most difficult to setup. As far as wider rims go, the EE and Ax brakes are the best. I tried the gravitas on wider rims but did not like the performance. Even with the newer wide wheel cams!

If performance is most important: EE Cycle works
If weight, performance and bling: Ax is first, EE is close second
If price is most important: Shimano, Campy

EightFiveTwo

by EightFiveTwo

Some say brakes are brakes, as long as the damn thing stops, it's all good.

Had TRP...nah...works fine but looks cheap
Had Zero G...nah...didn't feel as good as Campy and looks cheap (worse than TRP)
Had Campy...nah...it works great but not enough bling factor (even with SR)

Currently have EE Cycle...heck...it works/feels PERFECT and looks so ugly---to a point it actually looks cool. Met the gentlemen owns EE Cycleworks, one great guy and i'm happy to give me my money.

Currently have THM...well...it looks BLING and it reminds me of EE brakes---with more bling factor. The spring is made of carbon fiber so what do you expect...$hit eventually breaks and you just need to replace them when it happens (or before it happens). :thumbup:

Rippin

by Rippin

Have you had the carbon spring break on your Fibulas? I've only heard/read of one incident posted by wshiong. I don't think it's a common occurrence, but then again, there are a relatively small number of these brakes out there.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

EightFiveTwo

by EightFiveTwo

Rippin wrote:Have you had the carbon spring break on your Fibulas? I've only heard/read of one incident posted by wshiong. I don't think it's a common occurrence, but then again, there are a relatively small number of these brakes out there.

just have these for about couple hundred miles on them as I just purchased them new few weeks ago.

I ride both bikes (with same model of levers and cables) back to back, and the feel is NIGHT AND DAY---Spring does feel "softer" if you compare that to EE-Brakes.

coppercook62

by coppercook62

I just had them installed on both my bikes and can say I enjoy them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com