Yishun 44mm tubular, 3000km, pg 3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Over newyear Yishun had a few wheels on offer, and I thought that 500 bucks shipped would be well worth finding out how they do. With 1221g on the kitchen scale they are well within the tolerance of their 1220g spec. They have the basalt brake track, for what it's worth. The plan is to use them whenever the weather isn't totally crappy and report back, in case people are interested. Hubs are from Chosen CO. Soon to be glued, probably Conti Comps 22mm front, 25mm rear.

The expectations are naturally aligned with the the modest price tag.

front.JPG

rear.JPG
Last edited by HillRPete on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xuelan

by xuelan

i don't like this hubs color, i don't like red :roll: but the rims looks nice

yongkun

by yongkun

What are the rim profiles? Deep V?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Rounded V, similar to the farsports below (but 44mm deep).

farsports.jpg

jordo99

by jordo99

Definitely looking forward to hearing back about these. I'll be buying my first carbon wheelset at the end of the summer.

...heard some good things about Yishun but didn't realize their wheelsets were that light (I'd guess the clincher version would be ~1300g).

notsoswift

by notsoswift

jordo99 wrote:Definitely looking forward to hearing back about these. I'll be buying my first carbon wheelset at the end of the summer.

...heard some good things about Yishun but didn't realize their wheelsets were that light (I'd guess the clincher version would be ~1300g).

Actually more like 1500

Cheap Carbon clinchers just don't make sense, there is so much extra material in the rim they weigh the same or more than Alu.

Edit
38mm 1480

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/53814 ... _road.html

eric

by eric

I got a couple Farsports 50mm deep carbon clinchers that came in at 406g and 410g.

What similar depth aluminium rims come close in weight?

xuelan

by xuelan

eric wrote:I got a couple Farsports 50mm deep carbon clinchers that came in at 406g and 410g.

it's hard, i think :noidea:

theremery

by theremery

I had a couple of the light 50mm (410-420g) ones delaminate VERY dangerously . Oddly....their new improved ones look awesome and are even lighter!! Thesewere not Yishun, however (x-bikes) There is 1K weave in the brake track now and they have fixed the nasty square shaped I.D. and improved the nipple hole size so I think I can use Veloplugs. Not feeling super confident until I have smacked out 5K km tho. Yishun have been decent at light wheels for friends (alu's) and family (carbon 38's) in the past and they are Light and running well :)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

notsoswift

by notsoswift

eric wrote:I got a couple Farsports 50mm deep carbon clinchers that came in at 406g and 410g.

OK good luck with that since Reynolds and Zipp and similar proven premium brands are around 500g... and the Zipps still have a rep for blowing clincher tyres from overheating the bead on medium descents. Even Enve is 450g
So not saying their quality is lower than those brands as I haven't got personal or demonstrated knowledge, but you can make your own mind up
BTW that is still 80g more than a tub

Good quality 32-38mm alu run about 460g, I don't really know of many that are deeper, but Kinlin or Velocity as example.
SO, a quality Alu Clincher is 460, quality Carbon is 500... lots of cheaper carbon, but known names, are closer to 550-600

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

notsoswift wrote:

OK good luck with that since Reynolds and Zipp and similar proven premium brands are around 500g... and the Zipps still have a rep for blowing clincher tyres from overheating the bead on medium descents. Even Enve is 450g
So not saying their quality is lower than those brands as I haven't got personal or demonstrated knowledge, but you can make your own mind up
BTW that is still 80g more than a tub

Good quality 32-38mm alu run about 460g, I don't really know of many that are deeper, but Kinlin or Velocity as example.
SO, a quality Alu Clincher is 460, quality Carbon is 500... lots of cheaper carbon, but known names, are closer to 550-600

I too wonder where they shave the weight from exactly. I was looking at the farsports at first. That being said they are not toroidal like the Zipps and Enve Smarts so there is a lot less carbon being used per rim. I would imagine the resin used in the Zipps and Enve wheels is much better and allows it to take the heat better.

jordo99

by jordo99

I'm no expert...but I was under the impression that Zipp makes their wheels dimpled and aero at the cost of adding weight to make an overall faster wheelset. That is certainly the case when it comes to making aero frames and forks.

What I'm getting at...is that weight is not the only metric that affects performance. I'd be happy to go into why "chinese carbon" parts usually weigh more (they use T800 carbon instead of T1000 or other high-end sheets...which provide more strength/sheet) but in some instances the "chinese carbon" does use high-end carbon. The FM066 (mixes aspects of the Cervelo R3 and R5) frame recently came out and the frame weighs in at around 900g for under $700. Regardless, even if the chinese carbon weighs less that does not mean that it is less reliable...The wheelset might not be as stiff as a Zipp and certainly isn't going to be as aerodynamic. Nobody is going to argue that a $500 chinese carbon wheelset outperforms a $2000+ brand name wheelset and I can't imagine too many people would prefer chinese "generic" carbon wheels to a set of Zipps if price wasn't an issue.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

The valid reference point is the brands own Tub v Clincher
Zipp 303 150 g extra
Reynolds Assault C/T 140 g extra
Enve 45 and 1.45 140g extra
Same profiles

joeyruan
in the industry

by joeyruan

jordo99 wrote:I can't imagine too many people would prefer chinese "generic" carbon wheels to a set of Zipps if price wasn't an issue.

but i know always price was an issue, :unbelievable:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com