Parlee Z1 vs Colnago C59

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ufgators

by Ufgators

I was wondering what everyone thinks between the Parlee z1 and the Colnago C59. I am looking to build up another bike as I am not a fan of the whole aero craze. Anyways. I see that these bikes are both similar in concept with lugged construction and promise stiff but compliant rides. How is the handling between the two?

LionelB

by LionelB

You are comparing a stock bike (one of the best stock bike) with a custom frame made for you to your liking. With the Z1 you get the tubeset picked for you the geometry that fits you best etc...

BTW, Z1 are not lugged.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

I've owned Colnagos since 1995 and had a couple of Z1s from 2007 to last year. Both are excellent bikes with the Parlee probably riding a little more smoothly than recent Colnagos (my newest is an EPS). The Parlee was also quite a bit lighter than even recent Colnagos.

The big difference is in geometry. One Z was stock, the other custom based on geometry of my former LBS' house brand Italian frame. I just found Colnagos more stable at speed and preferred their handling to the stock Parlee. After a big crash in 2010 (18 days in hospital in Italy), I've been more nervous and just didn't find the Parlees working for me. I couldn't ride the stock one comfortably at all while the custom had an Alpha Q GS10 fork that was too light for me. If I could have easily switched the fork for one with the same geometry, I might have kept that custom Z but have now sold them both and put the groups on NOS C40s.

As LionelB says, you could do the Parlee in any geometry you choose. If you like something in particular, that might be the way to go.

crosschained

by crosschained

You can also get the C59 in custom geometry for a little more then the stock C59.

Ufgators

by Ufgators

Which one is stiffer in the front?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Parlee can tune the z to more "er" in virtually any given measure...

Dcgriz

by Dcgriz

c50jim wrote:I've owned Colnagos since 1995 and had a couple of Z1s from 2007 to last year. Both are excellent bikes with the Parlee probably riding a little more smoothly than recent Colnagos (my newest is an EPS). The Parlee was also quite a bit lighter than even recent Colnagos.

The big difference is in geometry. One Z was stock, the other custom based on geometry of my former LBS' house brand Italian frame. I just found Colnagos more stable at speed and preferred their handling to the stock Parlee. After a big crash in 2010 (18 days in hospital in Italy), I've been more nervous and just didn't find the Parlees working for me. I couldn't ride the stock one comfortably at all while the custom had an Alpha Q GS10 fork that was too light for me. If I could have easily switched the fork for one with the same geometry, I might have kept that custom Z but have now sold them both and put the groups on NOS C40s.

As LionelB says, you could do the Parlee in any geometry you choose. If you like something in particular, that might be the way to go.

You think longer trail would have helped the Z1 to be more stable at speed?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Descending stability is not simply a function of trail.

BB height also plays a large role too.

Dcgriz

by Dcgriz

Tinea Pedis wrote:Descending stability is not simply a function of trail.

BB height also plays a large role too.

Yes, that's why I said "helped". After the bike is built you can't change the BB height; you could easily change the fork though with another with less rake. Changing the stock Z1 trail from 56 to 59 or 60 could possibly help make enough of a difference. $350 vs. $10,000 might be $ well spent.
Last edited by Dcgriz on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I was keeping the OP in mind with that post, given c50jim said he didn't find the Parlee stable and the OP is looking at a bike that he can customise the geo for.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

OP gets to clarify...

If he's ordering custom (and understands his fit and desired handling), the Parlee will have better handling/weight/stiffness or smoothness... Virtually everything bar landed cost...

Illuminate

by Illuminate

LionelB wrote:You are comparing a stock bike (one of the best stock bike) with a custom frame made for you to your liking. With the Z1 you get the tubeset picked for you the geometry that fits you best etc...

BTW, Z1 are not lugged.

http://www.parleecycles.com/z1-geometry/

TANDARD LUGS: woven OPTIONAL FINISHES: custom paint
OPTIONAL LUGS: uni-directional

http://www.parleecycles.com/z1-gallery/

Sure look like lugs to me.

Rush

by Rush

A C59 is built from lugs and tubes made in Japan. These are shipped to Italy, where an Italian labourer glues them together with epoxy.

For the construction of a Z1 (based on photos I've seen), the carbon tubeset is cut and mitred and the bike tubes are assembled on a jig. Carbon weave is the wrapped around the junctions of the tubeset. These wrapped features become the lugs. The frameset is then sent to the carbon oven for curing.

See here.

c50jim

by c50jim

To go back to the OP's question, he thinks both have stiff but compliant rides and asked about handling. Perhaps I answered poorly.

With the Colnago, you get Colnago handling - perhaps a little slow feeling at slow speed, very stable and predictable at high speed and handles bumps well. Ride any Colnago (I've owned 13 so far - dumb I know but what's an old retired guy to do but ride his bike and buy more in winter when it's too crummy outside to ride?) and they all handle about the same for the same size. Ride quality may differ with my Master and C40s somewhat smoother than my EPS or Extreme Power. Personally, I love C40s and keep buying them any time I see one my size on eBay or elsewhere so I'll have enough to last me til I quit riding.

I'd say the ride of both my Parlees was more similar to a C40 than my more recent carbon Colnagos. Very smooth and comfortable - both the custom and the stock bike. I didn't like the stock one's handling but the OP might. Try to ride one if you can. As CharlesM says, if you like the Colnago geometry and the Parlee's ride, Parlee will do it for you in a reasonable period of time. I tried to get something custom on a Colnago some time ago and was told it would be a year if they decided to do it. If you're in the US, you can probably talk with Parlee about what you want if you're paying up for a Z1.

As for stiffness and compliancy, I haven't ridden a C59. However, I'd rate both my Parlees a little less stiff and more compliant than my EPS, my most recent Colnago. Then again, tell Parlee what you want and they'll build it.

Both companies build really nice bikes. When you're spending $6,000 or so on a frame, it would be great to try one out. If you're near Calgary and my size, you can try a Colnago of mine.

LionelB

by LionelB

Rush wrote:A C59 is built from lugs and tubes made in Japan. These are shipped to Italy, where an Italian labourer glues them together with epoxy.

For the construction of a Z1 (based on photos I've seen), the carbon tubeset is cut and mitred and the bike tubes are assembled on a jig. Carbon weave is the wrapped around the junctions of the tubeset. These wrapped features become the lugs. The frameset is then sent to the carbon oven for curing.

See here.

Exactly. So they are not lugged, they look a bit like lugs. Nothing wrong with that construction method of course.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com