AICAN superlight cable system

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1415chris

by 1415chris

Did you manage, by any chance, to weight it before putting on the bike?
I'm curious how it compares to the I-link/PC set (on my bike paired with EE as well).

PS.
What's the thing hanging on the head tube?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I weighed the cabling sets prior to installation (see my bike thread in the signature below and the "what did you buy today" thread), but relied on Fairwheel's "installed" weights: http://fairwheelbikes.com/aican-bungaru ... 5d60be5b5f

It's a wrist band hanging on the head tube. If you believe the back story, the CSC team did it in part because they were tired of seeing Lance's and maybe nearly everyone else's ubiquitous yellow wrist bands. It says, "Harden The Fcuk Up." And it's not mis-spelled. I like it for the HTFU message more than the back story.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

sugarkane wrote:Must be a messed up liner section in there some where.. Push some cable through and where it jams pull the housing apart. Replace as many links as you need too..
The shifter and brake housings are identical so you should have plenty to work with

We determined in the end it was the cable. We tried threading through other pieces of unused housing and also the front housing and the same thing, wouldn't come out the other end, yet the front cable had no problem. The good people at Fairwheel though said they'd send out a new cable for me :D

drchull

by drchull

1415chris

I have set up both these and iLinks. The learning curve is steeper with the iLinks and they are more fiddly as the liner takes a lot of work to get perfect, kink it once and you are in trouble. You have to be very diligent about compressing the iLinks at all times. I found though that going through the process of taking out the stretch in the cables and pulling the cables through with a little more pressure usually compressed them fine as long as nothing happened wit the liner. Never really had any more trouble with them after set up than with regular housings other than difficulty with inline adjusters being a 2 hand job.

Th Aican are definitely easier to set up though again you have to be diligent about taking out the slack. Much easier process as you are not worrying about the liner like on iLinks. Took me some fiddling to figure out the length of the rear mech housing as it never quite looked right.

liketoride

by liketoride

I cannot find any pics on how to safely install the powercordz on the 12 red front and rear d. Can someone help me out with what they have done and works for them please with the 12 reds. thanks

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

After about 5 months on my first set of Aican brake cable and EE brakes, I'm happy to report that it's been all roses. Two-thumbs up!

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

Hi, photonphyler:

I'm thinking about using your method for my Aican brake housings, but a little worried about the possibility of derailleur cables' smaller heads popping off. How do your cables hold up?

Tom-s

by Tom-s

To the current users, please let me know what your experiences are with these.
I've used nokon in the past and found these very durable. How does Aican compare to Nokon/Alligator housing when it comes to performance/durability?

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I'm using the AICAN brake housing with KCNC titanium brake cables. During installation I got a little careless and crushed the plastic liner extension on one side of one of the long segments. I was messing with the cable, let the links loosen and separate on the cable, then tightened it up without making sure all of the links were seated properly. Brake lever action was a bit rough at first, but after a while it smoothed out so I decided just to leave it as is. Overall I'm pretty happy with the combination.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Mine is still going smoothly as ever on both brake and gear

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Someone PM'd me with a question about the KCNC cables. Apparently I can't reply to PMs yet, so here it is. The cables might have stretched a little at first, but not enough to be noticeable. I clamped the cables at the brakes, pumped the levers several times, loosened, fiddled with the cables, rinse & repeat several times. In fact, that's how I managed to crush the link extension. So by the time I finalized everything the cables were as stretched as they were going to be.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

How's everything holding up for everyone?

Can someone comment on how these compare to yokozuna in terms of performance in shifting and braking?

Also tempted to use mini i-links for shift and the aican for brake to have a lighter setup, but what's the performance between the two with shifting?

Almost forgot to mention, how does these work with Planet X brakes?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Mine is still holding up perfectly fine, no issues at all

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Been using em for quite a while.
I used I-links before.. The aican system is much better!
I wouldn't bother with I-links for shifters as the cable friction drop using aican cables for shifting totally out weighs the small gram difference