AICAN superlight cable system

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Thanks for the informative review!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

artray wrote:Madcow can you tell me if they make the same creaking sounds as Nokons . I have to lube my Nokons to keep them quiet .How do the AICAN hold up ?

So far they've held up well, and since there really isn't any metal on metal I don't imagine they'll have an issue with the creaking sounds like Nokon.

I also want to clear things up about powercordz. From what I can tell the derailleur cordz will work with the b-link (aican) but the brake cordz will not.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Thanks Madcow. Any chance of some pics of your setup with them please?

austke

by austke

Sorry for my ignorance, but are these just the outer cables? And supplied with a set of DLC Brake/Gear cables (Inner Cables?).
In other words is this a complete kit of inner and outer cables? or just outer?
And is there a restriction on what Caliper/Shifter they will fit, or are they very universal? E.G. Fit Road/MTB, Shimano/Campy/Sram, Top of the line/bottom rung crap? ect ect.

Thank in advance.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Well I decided to take the plunge anyway without seeing Madcow's set up so we'll see how they go when it gets here. People have told me not to waste my time with light cable systems and to stick with Campag for my cables, but hey, I'm willing to give it a go and also I'm a Weenie now so it's getting in my blood - legally of course! No tainted steak here for the weight lose baby! :D

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Please let us all know how they work out. I'm on the fence too, but the WW in me keeps saying "but they are LIGHTER....". I think if I don't find a pure lightweight system I'll go with Yokozuna.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Will do. My local LBS does Nokon so hopefully they are fine installing these.

mgrennie

by mgrennie

With my cable routing, I wanted a full length liner for shifting. So I took derek's advice and dropped about 80g from my Yokozunas. First ride tomorrow.
New housing.JPG

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

mgrennie wrote:With my cable routing, I wanted a full length liner for shifting. So I took derek's advice and dropped about 80g from my Yokozunas. First ride tomorrow.
New housing.JPG

Is that a mix of AICAN and Nokon / iLink? Love the colour mix btw...especially on a Lapierre.

mgrennie

by mgrennie

Thanks.

It is AICAN brake, and mini i-link shift. I might have gone with AICAN for both, if I had known it came with a liner section.
My Yokozuna shifting was great, but after a year the cable exit near the bb gets grimy, and I wanted a full liner.

Only problem is I used every bit of the AICAN with my full brake housing layout, with none to spare.

austke

by austke

Just checkin in to see how you guys and girls are liking the new cable setup, re. Dereksmalls and mgrennie? And any body else who may have taken the plunge. Can we have some pics of your setups also please.

Cheers Austke
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Sorry I haven't got it installed yet. Waiting on a few parts so I can do a rebuild in one go.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I can post a pic soon on my in progress Zero 7 build. They seem to work pretty smoothly. Waiting on my powercordz to replace the teflon coated steel cables.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I'm waiting on a black set from Madcow

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I did a full install last weekend, shaved about 90 grams from Mu shimano cables and housing. Install was pretty uneventful aside from the fact that I really wasn't sure which ferrules to use where, etc. it shifts/brakes no better or worse than the stock cables. The only thing that concerns me is bumping the housing out of place slightly, as the shape of the housing is maintained solely by tension on the cable. I had plenty left over from the install to maybe do 1 cable on another bike. Be careful not to lose the tiny lining in between links, as it's not really secured in any way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com