HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:38 pm 

Anybody has experience with the Planet-X Proi carbon wheels because of their pricetag.
I was considering a 50mm in front and a 80mm in the back for my Cervélo S2 on racedays.
Are the hubs smooth and durable?
Are the wheels stiff enough during sprinting and while speeding up out of corners?
Comfort during these races is not so important to me, stifnees on the other hand is very important.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... 2_wheelset

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:30 pm 

I don't have that exact wheel set, but I've got a set of the 50mm clinchers and 101mm tubulars. I bought the clinchers already built and I bought the 101 rims and had them laced up by my buddy.

I've used the 50mm's exclusively on my new Ti frame I got in February. Nice wheels. Not as nice as wheels that cost 2 or 3 times as much, but nice. Very smooth spinning (but that should be expected), no brake track rub, and good response to brakes (I use the supplied pads). Love them. When I got them, I thought they'd be event wheels, but they're so easy to deal with, I ride them daily.

the 101's are a different story. Love the rim. Great for TT's. But I've done some road racing with them and they're not the best. Now, this was on an older ti frame that may not have had the stiffest rear triangle. However, at efforts above 1000 watts, I got rubbing on them. Also, though I've only used yellow swiss stop pads, I've gotten some flaking of the top clear coat on the brake track. Not really an issue as I now use them only for TT's, but annoying for a wheelset with less than 2000 miles. I'd recommend them to folks, though. I think mine may rub because of the rear PT hub making for sub-optimal spoking. And for the brake track.....Probably due to riding in the rain too much. Who knows. I got them for about $100 each, so I can't really complain.

I love Planet X stuff. The rims are Gigantex, and lots of other companies source from there. They're not the best wheels available, but they're a whole lot cheaper.

TB

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:30 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:28 am 

Thanks TB.