Jockey wheel upgrades

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Guyeclipse

by Guyeclipse

Does anyone think that jockey wheel upgrades are worthwhile? I'm looking at Aluminium ones over the standard Shimano plastic ones, but I am concerned with aluminium whether they will be noisy. Does anyone run any and can help me?

brycerider

by brycerider

Of dubious value unless yours are worn out.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I upgraded my sr rear mech using extralite jockey wheels.
I think they are a good upgrade.. Can't say all jockey wheels are equal though..

Jack101

by Jack101

Just installed some new aluminium ones the other day, can't say they're noticeably louder. Perhaps a slightly higher pitched sound (maybe that's just me being stupid though!), but definitely spin a lot better than the stock shimano ones.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I briefly rode a bike with the KCNC jockey wheels. I was expecting them to be quite a bit louder than stock but I really didn't notice any sort of difference.

ticou

by ticou

The best upgrade is ceramic bearings, notably Cult ceramics from Campy, as i'm running in me Chorus. A real difference.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

ticou wrote:The best upgrade is ceramic bearings, notably Cult ceramics from Campy, as i'm running in me Chorus. A real difference.

The placebo effect is always nice.

artray

by artray

I have some gold carbon jockey wheels they weigh 8 grms a pair . I was also using AFC jockey wheels 5 grms a pair . To be honest they seem to make no difference at all . I have used kcnc and before that standard sram red and Ive used some with ceramic bearings. Don't really notice the difference

ticou

by ticou

Zen Cyclery wrote:
ticou wrote:The best upgrade is ceramic bearings, notably Cult ceramics from Campy, as i'm running in me Chorus. A real difference.

The placebo effect is always nice.

Not so sirrah! 'Tis a real, quantifiable difference, my shim standard jockeys are like sludge in comparison. And chaps, the pro's might use Shim a lot, but they don't go with anything other than large ceramic jockey wheels, not DA's.

tommasini

by tommasini

I've posted this before - agree that the SR's are great pulleys.....for the other poster who said he "upgraded" from SR to others.....after seeing this video was that really what you'd call an upgrade?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IGCXDo8WcY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I like the extralite jockeys because...
They are hard wearing, spin very well even after 10000kms
And they are MUCH easier to keep clean. And they are Half the weight

Guyeclipse

by Guyeclipse

Jack101 wrote:Just installed some new aluminium ones the other day, can't say they're noticeably louder. Perhaps a slightly higher pitched sound (maybe that's just me being stupid though!), but definitely spin a lot better than the stock shimano ones.

Thank you that is very interesting. I'm glad that they don't make noise when spinning, I was more concerned though with the noise when shifting up and down sprockets and whether that would create a slightly tinny harsh noise after the shift initiates. Anyway that's what I imagined anyway. Do you find the shifting is more precise?

Jack101

by Jack101

Glad it was some help. No I wouldn't say they make any noise when shifting, not noticeably anyway. And if I'm honest I can't say there is much of shifting improvement, I'd like to say there is but perhaps that's just psychological! Just for reference I'm running ultegra 6700.

kgt

by kgt

+1 for extralite just for the lower weight.

Stockie

by Stockie

I installed some pulleys from xx-light-bikes. They are made of the same material as the Extralite ones and weigh also about 10 grams.
Though, when i install them, and i tighten the pulley bolts, there is much of drag.
xx-light told me to not tighten the pulley bolts as much, but to put some blue loctite on the threads. I tried this, but since i don't tighten the bolts that much, the backplate of the derailleur can move. Could this be a problem?
I Will make the leap

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com