Servicing Mavic Cosmic Carbone Front Hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dhendriksen

by dhendriksen

I'm hoping for a little help from the forum here.

I have a "scraping" sound on my bike, and it's more pronounced when leaning. It is consistent in that it happens at least every few seconds, but in consistent in the fact that sometimes it does it for 10 seconds straight, then won't do it at all for 5 seconds. Make sense?

At any rate, I know it's the front wheel because when I put my Zipp101 on, the noise goes away. I have probably 6,000 or so miles on this wheel, and it hasn't seen any "maintenance".

What do I need to do in order to service this front hub and eliminate this sound? I'm thinking I just need to grease the bearings and tighten the hub, but I don't have the first clue how to get in there. This will be my first time diving in to a hub.

Thanks in advance for your help!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duodiscus

by duodiscus

I own a 2012 Mavic CCU wheelset and according to the tech manual I have, they refer to page 20 of the 2005 tech manual for front bearing and axle maintenance/replacement:

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/docs/themes/2_10.pdf

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Firstly check the preload on the bearings. You'll need the plastic multi-pronged tool.
With the wheel tightened in the forks see if you can move the wheel side to side. If you can, tighten the bearing preload.
If you can't move the wheel side to side try backing off preload. If the wheel can move side to side tighten it again.

If that doesn't make any difference check the bearings. Remove the wheel from the forks and take out the skewer.
Move the axle with your fingers. Do the bearings feel smooth or rough. If rough it's time to replace them.
They're cartridge bearings which need to be punched out (remove the axle first) and then the new ones are pressed in.
Your LBS will have tools to this job but it can done by yourself. Just take care when pressing in the new bearings not to overload them. Use the old ones to help press them in.