Tuning Shimano Ultegra 6700

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I was wondering if anyone here has tuned a shimano ultegra 6700 groupset. I would like to know if its something worth doing, how much weight you saved and how much it cost. I've searched and found nothing so if this has been discussed before can you please link me?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

daj

by daj

If you want low weight it's better to not buy Ultegra but get some Sram Force instead. Although I have a suspicion that you're already riding on Ultegra...

Cheapest ways to save weight would be to replace the brakes and cranks.

Rush

by Rush

If you want to stay within Shimano, the best $/gram upgrades for Dura-Ace 7900 are the shifters and front derailleur.

I've got the exact numbers on a spreadsheet at home, I can post it for you later.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I'll be interested to see the spreadsheet Rush, and daj, I was just considering my options as Ultegra is about $300 cheaper for me than SRAM Force/red mix. I'm just wondering why Shimano Ultegra is so heavy... Surely there's a kilo of led somewhere that can be taken out...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

roberto21

by roberto21

spend the extra $300 and buy the SRAM Force/Red group if you are trying to save weight.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Ritchey Road Logic -- 7.56 kg
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

Rush

by Rush

OK I took the Shimano official weights for Dura Ace and Ultegra (which are very close to those published by Competitive Cyclist, and Madcow on this forum. Then I computed a $/gram delta based on prices from Merlin Cycles. These are in Australian dollars (which is close to the US) but the ratio is really all that matters.

Code: Select all

Groupset    Shifters   Rear derailleur   Front derailleur      Brake set   Cassette (11-23)   Chain   Crankset+Bottom bracket 
Dura-Ace      379           166                67                 293          163             252            725
Ultegra       447           189                104                317          209             272           788
Delta g       68             23                37                 24            46             20             63

Delta $      132.22         105.69            19.82            171.76         129.52          11.9         211.47
Delta $/g     1.72           4.60              1.10              8.18           2.88          0.79           8.13

So best way to reduce weight is to buy a Dura-Ace Chain, then Front derailleur, then shifters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com