What's Your First Choice Group for New Build?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Guyeclipse

by Guyeclipse

I intend to as I have read reviews and apparently it offers a little more feel at the lever than DA Di2. And also I really like the sleek looking deralliers. Especially that rear derallier. :)

ticou

by ticou

Guyeclipse wrote:
Well said sir. Campy do rather splendid ceramics too in their R and SR, so I migrated a little SR ceramic to my Chorus. I've got no bones with Sram, prefer em to DA.

I'm so glad you said that because I am quite a Campagnolo fan and I am well aware of the ceramic bearings and to be honest it would be my first choice for a build. I believe that as a build, it is very rewarding as it has quite a mechanical feel which I believe would be a constant reminder that the Italian craftsmanship residing between your legs was in part built by you. I see it as quite romantic. :)

Sorry, I didn't know how to use the quote function.

Your welcome Guy,

Of course going beyond jockey wheels, the cult in cronitect steel of the bb and wheels, whilst demanding a king's ransom-wheels- will outperform the Red's, but i like the new Red all the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wadl

by Wadl

Dozer said:
So the choice really comes down to weight, cost, aesthetics and compatability with wheels you already have.

I think he is right...

For me, it was the new red. I like the looks, the weight, the ergonomics are great.

Another thing, someone talked about how "soulless" shimano are... I understand what he meant. they are victime of their succes, Shimano shift too smoothly I think. I prefer the raw feeling of the RED (like prefering a pure race car over a very fast car for the open road...)

dcj9

by dcj9

right now it would still be Campag SR mechanical at the top end for me.
its surely getting near the pinnacle of mechanical development and refinement, and really looks like it.

EPS looks a bit clanky and on a steeper development curve chased by early adoptors.
normally that would be me too, for now the high price and unsightliness is an easy no. give it another 2-3 years, perhaps.

the only groupset that leaves me cold is SRAM. no real idea why though.
instinct tells me the longevity and experience of other top brands still counts for something extra apart from weight and cost.

atakaoka

by atakaoka

Dozer wrote:My assumption is the shifting performance on all the groups from 105 to S-R are all "good enough." So the choice really comes down to weight, cost, aesthetics and compatability with wheels you already have.

you said everything my friend.

I begin whith Campy Mirage 8s adapted to use 9-10s hubs,them migrated to Mirage 9s,Centaur carbom 10s,Record 10s and using for 2 years 2010 Super Record 11s whith 2008 Bora Ultra whith CULT.
Whem I change my group of couse it will be Super Record whith Ti spindle.
But now I'm saving to get Hyperon Ultra 2 wheel set.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

mrfish

by mrfish

Back in the land of reality the answer is that it does not matter. The one you have already is probably fine. Despite that my thoughts float all over the place. But two leftfield choices:

1) I rather like the 9-speed Ultegra on my tandem for its nice clicky shifts and almost zero maintenance requirement. The bike goes just as fast as with any other groupset. Also includes once of the best internal bearing bb designs. Available on ebay for very little.
2) And if you wanted to spend real money, some NOS Campag from whenever you started cycling would be a nice treat.

Stats

by Stats

Campag SR (mech):
Pros - solid brake lever, ergonomics (for my hands), aesthetically I like it the best, can be found for the same price as the others now, dual pivot rear brake now
Cons - thumb shift lever is more difficult to reach from the drops (for my small hands), wheels need a campag freehub.

DA 9000 (mech):
Pros - reviews so far sound promising, apparently have a dual compound hood (like SR now ironically), would probably work well and be low fuss like most Shimano once set up, ability to upgrade to Di2 later if you want (best of the electronic groups IMO), now 11 speed so you don't feel like you're missing anything to SR.
Cons - Kinda boring when you'll eventually see it everywhere.

SRAM Red (mech):
Pros - best of both worlds in term of solid brake lever and no thumb shift lever, LOVE the short shift throws, ergonomics feel good, looks more unique than DA, best priced group
Cons - still only 10 speed and may be outdated soon, looks less classy than SR, no electronic version means you're running top of the line! :)

Electronic Groupsets: still far too expensive IMO for essentially a groupset that replaces cables with wires. I have ridden it, I know it (can) work smoother than a cable version, but I think it actually looks messier than a cabled groupset and can't see the value in electronic top of the line groupsets yet.

Snicks

by Snicks

Another thing, someone talked about how "soulless" shimano are... I understand what he meant. they are victime of their succes, Shimano shift too smoothly I think. I prefer the raw feeling of the RED (like prefering a pure race car over a very fast car for the open road...)

^That encapsulates everything I dislike about DA, and everything I like about Red perfectly.

spud

by spud

Maybe a little OT, but I would find Red easier to like if the rear derailleur didn't require that enormous loop of cable housing to function properly. I do wonder why Sram set the derailleur mount geometry they way they did.

While I don't own Red, I've test ridden it and the ability to move down the block while sprinting without interruption could be really appealing. I can manage the shifting on Shimano and Campy, but it is better, and more reliable on the Sram, in my limited experience with it.

ticou

by ticou

,Not to decry it's performance, but seeing Red in the flesh on an elite bike the other day left me feeling a bit chilly..

jmilliron

by jmilliron

My choice for a new build? SRAM Force and spend the money saved on parts that have more performance impact. Race wheels and a power meter come to mind.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon