HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:45 am 

Hi, I just took advantage of some of the sales going on in the UK and finally got Campy Chorus (minus the crank) and Zonda wheels to put on my CAAD10. I'm trying to work out a Power Meter solution. Since the Garmin pedals keep getting pushed back, and I don't want to deal with the battery hassle of SRM, I've pretty much settled on a Quarq.

I don't want to deal with the BB30 adapters either, which means I'm pretty much limited to the SRAM models. I realize SRAM with Campy is a pretty unconventional thing to do, but at the end of the day I'm looking for function.

The new Red Exogram crank seems like a fairly big step up in performance over the old model (which appears to work fine with 11 speed), but I'm just wondering if there are going to be adjustment/compatibility issues since the chainrings have the 1.4 mm wider spacing. I know very little about bike mechanic theory, so I'm hoping if someone can tell me what issues I might run into if I try to make this crankset work with an 12-27 11-speed cassette.

Any other power options I should be considering so I can keep it campy? Powertaps don't really float my boat; and I don't really want to return the new wheels I just bought...

Thoughts?

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:45 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:51 am 

You can use strong light or rotor rings with campy 11 with great results. I use them on rotor 3d's

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:07 am 

Hollowgram quarq with Stronglight CT2's

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:58 am 

I agree that the hollowgram is the classiest way to go, but is there any way to explain the $1000 premium over the SRAM option? I mean, for the price of the hollowgram spider you can get the complete SRAM crankset. I hope I'm missing something, because the hollowgram is the much cooler option; I'd love to be able to justify it to myself. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:30 am 

How about a rotor 3d+ power2max?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 am 

All I've read about power2max says they're very prone to drift (ex the bikeradar review). Are these problems blown out of proportion?

I'm still interested to know if the new SRAM exogram Quarq is even an option.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:52 pm 

I've been looking at this as well recently, I think you'd be nuts to go for the Hollowgram Quarq now that it's practically the same price as the SRM.

The Rotor 3D+/P2M is what I'm considering due to cost more than anything else- I already have Hollowgram cranks, but the Rotor and P2M is less than a grand, compared to ~£1,600 for the SRM spider.

Money no object then it's got to be Hollowgram's and the SRM.