where to find spokes threaded on both sides?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

I have a 6 year old HED wheel where the rims are starting to show their age. the hubs are still in fine condition, though, so I'm thinking of salvaging them and using them for a wheel build.

unfortunately, some of the front spokes are also starting to get cracks and need to be replaced. these spokes are apparently, titanium aero bladed spokes ( based on what i can gather from the internet- memory from 6 years ago fails me), which are threaded at BOTH ends.
does anyone know where I can get a smilar spoke? I can do without the aero or the titanium, so long as I can get it to work. or am I out of luck?

FYI these wheels are HED Alps wheels.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Sounds to me like you should contact HED on this one. Hopefully they will be able to point you in the right direction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I've done some double threaded spokes on our morizumi machine. Its a real pain though. Do you have any idea what the length is?
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

ergott

by ergott

Anyone with access to a Phil Wood machine can do it.

djconnel

by djconnel

Was surprised to find one @ Rollsf.com, but have previously gotten them custom made at Freewheel Bikes in SF.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

davidalone

by davidalone

743power wrote:I've done some double threaded spokes on our morizumi machine. Its a real pain though. Do you have any idea what the length is?

they are 294 mm long

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

A cheap Hozan threader will do just fine. I'm guessing the ends are 2mm? If so get an appropriately sized aero steel spoke (would be best to try and match the stiffness, so ~60% of the cross sectional area) and clip off the J leaving a 294mm straight spoke with no threads on one end. Then roll the threads.
formerly rruff...