Weight of Tubular Glue vs Tufo Tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

capnc

by capnc

Has anyone done a real world comparison (same rims, same tires) of the weight differences between mounting tubulars using Tufo tape vs a tubular glue such as mastik one?

I realize there are other potential advantages to gluing such as rolling resistance, etc but I'm just curious about the weight difference.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

just weigh it before you add glue. 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I realize there are other potential advantages to gluing such as rolling resistance, etc but I'm just curious about the weight difference.

There are times I worry more about some members brains than I do about their weight...

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

That is a legitimate question. Look at the name of the site - Weight Weenies. Give me a break.

Is it any more stupid a question than how I can replace a bolt to save a fifth of a gram?

Maybe the question would have been o.k.. if he had asked about matching tubular tape or glue color to saddle and bar tape color?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Tape has gotta be lighter. I've used about 1.5 to 2 tubes. There is approximately 25-30g per tube.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Don 't forget the weight of the glue lost in the drying process.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Didnt realize it lost weight as it dried. Well..I have all the weights from before the gluing process so I'll just take the weight after they are mounted and we'll get our glueing answer. Anyone have the tape weight?

I agree this is a legit question

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I think the reason some people use tape and others use glue is not based on what it weighs.
Anyways, I think glue will be a bit lighter.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Tubular cement and handmade tubs (which are made by glueing different parts together) contain a considerable bit of solvents.

Putting a 30g tube of rim cement on your wheels should yield about a 10g weight increase when measured after about a month.

Similarly a 260g factory fresh tubular may well end up weighing ten grams less after a year of cellar dwelling...

Tufo tape is for those who don't have a clue and don't mind facing hell having to remove it from their precious rims.
It should be heavier than cement and nowhere near does what a well formulated cement does.

My question to you, all of you, is do you understand what design criteria rim cement has to answer to?

Think, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bricky21

by bricky21

fdegrove wrote:My question to you, all of you, is do you understand what design criteria rim cement has to answer to?

:hello: Stong....but not too strong.

vboy19

by vboy19

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Tufo tape is for those who don't have a clue and don't mind facing hell having to remove it from their precious rims.
It should be heavier than cement and nowhere near does what a well formulated cement does.

Think, ;)

Wow you are pretty high and mighty on yourself. I actually think tufo tape is lighter than glue considering you have to put more coats on each rim. There are advantages to tape over glue:

Easier to replace a tubular if there is a puncture
Don't have to have as many applications and wait a day to complete the process
Not as messy
Forgiving if you have to make micro adjustments when installing your tubular

This is why I chose tape, not because of the weight difference but the ease of use.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

:frightened: ohhh jeeezzzz. Here we go.

tommasini

by tommasini

Hi welcome to WW's

Do a search on the subject

When you do you'll find that tape creates higher rolling resistance

So if looking for convenience the suggestions then may push you toward clincher use (vs compromising great tubbie performance with such tape)

fa63

by fa63

If someone blindfolded you and did a back to back test with glue vs. tape, I really doubt you would notice any difference in rolling resistance...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Just because you couldn't notice a difference in rolling resistance doesn't mean it does not exist.

If you pick up 2 bikes, identical, except one has been tuned with bolts which weigh 5 grams less, and you can't notice the difference in weight, it doesn't mean that the weight difference does not exist.