HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:46 am 

I've been riding Conti Attack/Force Black Chili, Vittoria Corsa CXs clinchers in the past and currently riding Schwalbe Ultremo ZX. I always try to find new tires to try and I was wondering which one would you guys suggest between Veloflex Master 23 vs S-Works Turbo vs Michelin PRO4 Comp?

Veloflex Master 23: I first heard of Veloflex when I noticed all the pros using them and covering these tires with "other" brands. Made in Italy is a nice touch, but haven't heard much about them-- probably since I live in USA

S-Works Turbo: Heard Specialzied completely revised their tire line up from crap to amazing recentely, and apparently these tires are FAST and grippy.

Michelin PRO4 Comp: Not sure if Comp version has come out yet, hopefully it has. From tech documents it supposedly has better rolling resistance than PRO3 and lighter, and slightly more durable....which if true is my dream tire.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:46 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:15 am 

I have been riding nothing but veloflex pave/masters for the last year and a half or so. I have gotten a few punctures but no more then other tires I have used in the past. I run them around 110psi with vittoria or Mich latest tubes. The ride is bliss, they smooth out just about any road. Have got caught out in the rain and they still felt predictable. I get about 2500 to 3k miles put of a set. Will flip the tires around 1500 mile mark. Even though the wear isn't as good as other tires out there they are worth every penny. Im curious how the new 23s will ride, I'm sure I won't be able to fell a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:14 pm 

Veloflex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:37 pm 

Veloflex with latex tubes. Best clincher ride you can get

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:02 pm 

how are is the wet grip of the Veloflexs? I tend to ride rain or shine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:25 pm 

I rode 2 sets of S Works Turbo over the past year. They are great in either the dry or the wet and they have pretty good puncture protection, and a smooth supple ride. But, at the most you will get about 1200 miles out of the tire (of course, I was riding them on crappy NJ roads, so your mileage may vary).

The Michelin Pro 4 Comps are due to be available at the end of this month.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:28 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

terminus wrote:
how are is the wet grip of the Veloflexs? I tend to ride rain or shine.

They're fine but not extraordinary.
(Trick: wash the tread with a 1/3 vinegar 2/3 water solution, it makes them stick to the road much better)

Just about the best clincher out there if you value a nice ride with plenty of confidence.

Treat them the same as their tubular brothers since they are made the same way: natural rubber and glued on tread...

I'd advise a Vredestein all natural latex inner tube if you can get your hands on a set. 8)

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 am 

Veloflex tyres are a good choice in terms of riding quality and durability. I'm very impressed with these tires. I used two pairs of those. They give a comfortable ride, great feel, light and fast enough. Ride is like a tubular tyre indeed, but don't last long as you would expect.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:55 pm 

I've used the Veloflex Corsa 22s, they feel very supple and are very grippy wet and dry but they do seem to wear fast, but you can't have everything.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:45 am 

Anymore reviews? the PRO4 Comp is out now so anyone have detail about it? also I'm 130lbs

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:59 pm 

fdegrove wrote:
(Trick: wash the tread with a 1/3 vinegar 2/3 water solution, it makes them stick to the road much better)

Could you give details about how you do this? Do you leave the solution on? If you rinse it off how long do you leave it on? Does this condition the rubber, or is it simply tackier because it's clean?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:14 am 

As far as I know, the Pro 4 Comps are not out yet in the US. The distributors had February dates, which changed to April dates and now October dates for availability.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:37 am 

Veloflex make some of, if not the best tires in the world.
Specialized?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:53 am 

I'd personally say you will struggle to better the Schwalbes as an all round tyre at the moment but will be interested in your findings if you do.

Two that came out very favourably in the Le Cycle test of 80 tyres last year were the Maxxis Radiale All and the Bontrager R4 with latex tube. I've been looking for the Maxxis everywhere - its combination of rolling resistance and grip seem to be a cut above what is on offer elsewhere.

The rolling resistance on the R4 (52.9m) was 20% better compared with the likes of Vittoria Continental and Michelin but it's grip was nothing to write home about.

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:53 am 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:37 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

veganeric wrote:
fdegrove wrote:

Could you give details about how you do this? Do you leave the solution on? If you rinse it off how long do you leave it on? Does this condition the rubber, or is it simply tackier because it's clean?

The idea is to fully degrease the tread much like you'd use a vinegar sollution to clean windows for instance.
Regular household vinegar is used and care should be taken with any alloy rims as vinegar (an acid) tends to corrode metal surfaces such as aluminium based alloys.
You can rince it of with plain water afterwards.

Obviously the effect won't last for long as roads are often littered with all kinds of "greasy" materials etc.
At the very least your tyres will look like brandnew.... :lol:

Ciao, ;)

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next