Oddball Ultralight Build

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
atriot

by atriot

Hello Weight Weenies, looking for a little advice regarding my fall project. My intent is to build a super light weight, single speed bike for my dead flat, 4 kilometer commute. I have a FM-066 Super Light frame on order from Hongfu, with a set of 38mm carbon tubular rims. I've asked Hongfu to drill the rear rim to 28h; they agreed but the lead time is 45-60 days, hence it being a fall project.

So down to business. I'm planning on using a eno eccentric hub to take care of the chain tension issue but I'm scratching my head as what to do about chain alignment. The frame comes with a BB30 bottom bracket shell... As I understand it, my chainring will need to be at a distance of 47.5mm to align with the freewheel cog on the hub. Is it just a matter of using bb adapters and chainring spacers? Am I over thinking this? Or is there a more elegant solution? Any advice would be appreciated.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Tubs on a commuter?
Evo 5.02kg SL3 6.77 Slice RS 8.89 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

tommasini

by tommasini

Why do you feel the need for super lightweight on a SS that would be used on flat roads - coffee shop bragging rights?

It could help frame future feedback.

:beerchug:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

atriot wrote:So down to business. I'm planning on using a eno eccentric hub to take care of the chain tension issue but I'm scratching my head as what to do about chain alignment. The frame comes with a BB30 bottom bracket shell... As I understand it, my chainring will need to be at a distance of 47.5mm to align with the freewheel cog on the hub. Is it just a matter of using bb adapters and chainring spacers? Am I over thinking this? Or is there a more elegant solution? Any advice would be appreciated.

Eccentric Hub = Heavy hub. I thought you wanted ultralight? :noidea:

...Use a Beer Components BB30 Eccentric Adapter, which allows you to use any ol' 24mm crankset with external bb, see their site for details. (Choose the lightest you are willing to afford of course). This way you don't need a chain tensioner at all and it keeps the build clean.
For chain alignment, just use a normal road hub and space the cog accordingly. No need to scratch your head on this one!
GearClamps will be lighter than spacers though ;)
This method will essentially allow you to use a "normal" road wheelset, with normal rear-hub that will always be much lighter than a SS or Track specific hub. That is unless you go full custom MACK hubs.

:thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.