Sanding SRAM derailleur carbon pulley plates -how to remove?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

garth

by garth

I've got a SRAM Red derailleur and I want to sand the graphics off the carbon front pulley plate and clearcoat it. I removed both pulley bolts and the rear plate comes off but the front plate does not. I don't want to destroy my derailleur in the process so I thought I should ask here first.

Thanks!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xcfisher

by xcfisher

Unfortunately, it's not removable. :(

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I think it is with a lot of hassle and patience... as I have seen photos of both plates replaced. Unfortunately I don't know how either (and my "tool-shed" is whatever fits in a travel bag so I don't have the resources that some have). I was just careful with the dremel around the junction area with the body and used tape to protect. Couldn't get super-close (2-3mm) but it was good enough for me in removing the yellow from the Tour Edition.

How about Carbo-Lift. Seems like it could be of use here if you are really intent on an 'as-new' finished product.
Last edited by jvanv8 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

garth

by garth

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm glad I didn't try to muscle it off as it would have probably broken it.

I guess I'll just try and hand sand it and mask if off real well when I respray. Thanks guys!!!

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Garth, with the standard Red derailleur, I think you'll be pretty successful with your only challenging area being the little "silver block" near the "Blackbox" text.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

BmanX

by BmanX

I took mine off with little issue and did exactly what you are wanting to do. However, I can not remember how I did it as it was over a year ago.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

farm_lim

by farm_lim

tried also what you want to do, but couldnt take it out.
so i just put something to open it up, masked, sanded and resprayed.
you cant buy fitness, but you can buy advantage.

garth

by garth

Damn BmanX... think think think!!!! :D

da123

by da123

Funnily enough, I tried this for the first time last night as I wanted to swop a 2009 SRAM Force inner plate (which is plain carbon) for my Red inner plate (they both weigh 16g btw!). You can remove the inner plate, and although it's fiddly it isn't that difficult. What holds the inner plate to the mech body is a small screw on the mech body, situated close to the hinge that is closest to the inner plate. Take the jockey wheels out first and remove the outer plate. Then make sure you are pressing the inner plate into the mech body with one hand and undo the screw. It only has a few threads on it and you'll need to pull it out. Once the screw is fully removed from the mech body, the inner plate will want to spring off the mech body (which is why you need to hold it). Ease the inner plate off in a controlled way. The inner plate has a rod attached to it that fits into the mech body, and a slot into which you push the spring (which sits in the mech body). When you're putting the inner plate back on, you need to put the spring into the slot on the inner plate, then wind the spring (with inner plate attached) tighter around 180 degrees before pushing the inner plate back into the mech body and re-inserting the screw. As I say, it is a bit fiddly, but it can be done and there isn't anything in there (tiny springs, bearings, screws etc) that can fly out and get lost.

BmanX

by BmanX

That sounds about right. Getting the screw back in once you move the plate 180 degrees was tricky but not that hard. It can be done and as you can see results in a better looking finish. Now I just need to get my hands on a Tour edition Red RD to do the same work as the all black body is nicer than what I currently have.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

garth

by garth

THanks so much for info da123. I'm going to try it today.

I'll post pictures after it's done. :beerchug:

da123

by da123

No worries. Look forward to seeing the results, as if it looks better than the Force plate, I'll be doing the same thing!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stockie

by Stockie

da123 wrote:What holds the inner plate to the mech body is a small screw on the mech body, situated close to the hinge that is closest to the inner plate.

I know how to remove the RED cage, but on 2009 Force there isn't a screw that holds the plate in, but it looks more like a pin (without screw head)
How did you remove that one?
I Will make the leap