Vittoria Corsa Evo CX or Continental Competition Tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JWolf

by JWolf

I ride them both - agree that conti is better in rain and evo better ride. Conti seems a bit more durable but nothing major.

kgt

by kgt

Conti is not a high quality tire. I would try something else in your case, there are a lot of choises available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

thisisatest wrote:
tommasini wrote:Check out version 9 of Al Morrison's well regarded rolling resistance test results - see if you still think that Conti tubular tires are "good" rolling resistance tires.......when the first one doesn't show up until page 3.

http://biketechreview.com/tires/rolling ... oller-data" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sometimes I wonder if people mis-perceive the "hard" ride of the conti as a "fast" ride - when instead it's just a rough hard ride and not all that fast.

keep in mind that in those rolling resistance tests, it starts by stating that he was originally using a poor method of gluing. he has since changed, but the conti tubulars on page 3 were still the "lightly glued" method. it appears he has not yet retested them "properly glued". i also would speculate that his original method would hurt the contis more, as their base tape is dry.

It may change the result a little to their advantage but that type of tyre will inevitable be hindered in the real world by its poor casing. (Even though Conti's figures lead you to believe otherwise)
I for one, would love to see SRM or Powrtap readings of the wattage lost on real roads and at different loads and tyre pressures.
It definitely is a very uncomfy tyre which suggests that it does not track road irregularities well which in turns translates into a loss of efficiency.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

MDiddy

by MDiddy

The Vittoria provides as good a ride as I have ever encountered. But, they are extremely prone to puncture. I haven't ridden them in the rain, but I'll remember these comments if I ever have to.

Andrewjn

by Andrewjn

I am running the vittoria at the moment and would say that they are somewhat prone to puncture as per the prior comment , but have found that as the tyre gets more miles into it that the trye appears to harden, in so much it gets more puncture resistant. Or perhaps my luck inproves. Did find that to be the case back in my days with Michelin PRORace3's

jrobart

by jrobart

have ridden both, but the Corsa Evo CX is a heavenly ride. put conti clinchers on your current wheels and ride them in the rain.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

huddini

by huddini

I did a short test of Evo Cx vs Competition... I am a huge fan of Conti and I have 4000s on all my clinchers.... Race King SS 2.2 on my mountainbikes, so I was pretty sure that I would prefer the Competition over Evo´s.

I tried em for 130k... on two identical wheelsets, and I was disappointed w the Conti´s. Vittoria have less rolling resistance I think. Since I didnt pump em my self, I dont know the tire pressure, but they felt evenly hard....

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Ive ridden just about everything and can say Conti tubies are a let down. Vittorias were usually my first choice for price and availability. Veloflex always used when available. FMB's had a few quality control issues it seemed, probably over that by now. I can also say that the Deda Tre Olimpico is one of the worst performing tires in the rain I have ever had even at low pressure.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I haven't ridden the Contis, but I am a big fan of the Evo CX. I think it has a great ride quality and it hasn't worn as quickly as I expected.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Regarding DedaTre OLIMPICO, http://www.dedatre.com/en/tubolari.htm wrote:Riding pressure
9 - 11 bar (130-160 psi)
Since that's a range, I presume it is a range of recommended riding pressures, not a statement of maximum pressure. If so, that's mighty high. What pressure were you using in the rain?

hasbeen

by hasbeen

I cant remember the pressures I used to run. However I dont remember going over 120psi and always letting air out when it rained.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

HammerTime2 wrote:
Regarding DedaTre OLIMPICO, http://www.dedatre.com/en/tubolari.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wrote:Riding pressure
9 - 11 bar (130-160 psi)
Since that's a range, I presume it is a range of recommended riding pressures, not a statement of maximum pressure. If so, that's mighty high. What pressure were you using in the rain?

That also goes a long way to explain how they achieved this very low measured (lab test) rolling resistance, I suppose............

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

109er

by 109er

why haven't the Vittoria Pave's been mentioned?
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I feel there's some support for the Conti's missing in this thread, so to balance things here goes ...

My riding is mostly on good quality roads, but there's the unavoidable glass every now and then. The Conti Comps are great for that, super grip in wet and dry, nice feel (on the good roads I have), and no cuts so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sastre

by sastre

i got some conti tubs to glue up for my first tub wheelset and a big mistake that was if you do a search youll find there the most difficult to mount. i left mine inflated on a wheelset for over a year and they went on with the least amount of effort another factor i think was the rim profile. ie punctures vittoria are better for me the conti's cut up to easy and the ride does feel a bit dull.

"GO CAV"
:thumbup:
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain