HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:27 am 

I ride them both - agree that conti is better in rain and evo better ride. Conti seems a bit more durable but nothing major.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:46 am 

Conti is not a high quality tire. I would try something else in your case, there are a lot of choises available.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:46 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:54 am 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

thisisatest wrote:
tommasini wrote:
Check out version 9 of Al Morrison's well regarded rolling resistance test results - see if you still think that Conti tubular tires are "good" rolling resistance tires.......when the first one doesn't show up until page 3.

http://biketechreview.com/tires/rolling ... oller-data" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sometimes I wonder if people mis-perceive the "hard" ride of the conti as a "fast" ride - when instead it's just a rough hard ride and not all that fast.

keep in mind that in those rolling resistance tests, it starts by stating that he was originally using a poor method of gluing. he has since changed, but the conti tubulars on page 3 were still the "lightly glued" method. it appears he has not yet retested them "properly glued". i also would speculate that his original method would hurt the contis more, as their base tape is dry.

It may change the result a little to their advantage but that type of tyre will inevitable be hindered in the real world by its poor casing. (Even though Conti's figures lead you to believe otherwise)
I for one, would love to see SRM or Powrtap readings of the wattage lost on real roads and at different loads and tyre pressures.
It definitely is a very uncomfy tyre which suggests that it does not track road irregularities well which in turns translates into a loss of efficiency.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:17 am 

The Vittoria provides as good a ride as I have ever encountered. But, they are extremely prone to puncture. I haven't ridden them in the rain, but I'll remember these comments if I ever have to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 am 

I am running the vittoria at the moment and would say that they are somewhat prone to puncture as per the prior comment , but have found that as the tyre gets more miles into it that the trye appears to harden, in so much it gets more puncture resistant. Or perhaps my luck inproves. Did find that to be the case back in my days with Michelin PRORace3's

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:31 am 

have ridden both, but the Corsa Evo CX is a heavenly ride. put conti clinchers on your current wheels and ride them in the rain.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121194764@N07/sets/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:00 pm 

I did a short test of Evo Cx vs Competition... I am a huge fan of Conti and I have 4000s on all my clinchers.... Race King SS 2.2 on my mountainbikes, so I was pretty sure that I would prefer the Competition over Evo´s.

I tried em for 130k... on two identical wheelsets, and I was disappointed w the Conti´s. Vittoria have less rolling resistance I think. Since I didnt pump em my self, I dont know the tire pressure, but they felt evenly hard....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 pm 

Ive ridden just about everything and can say Conti tubies are a let down. Vittorias were usually my first choice for price and availability. Veloflex always used when available. FMB's had a few quality control issues it seemed, probably over that by now. I can also say that the Deda Tre Olimpico is one of the worst performing tires in the rain I have ever had even at low pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:51 pm 
Shop Owner

I haven't ridden the Contis, but I am a big fan of the Evo CX. I think it has a great ride quality and it hasn't worn as quickly as I expected.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:55 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
Regarding DedaTre OLIMPICO, http://www.dedatre.com/en/tubolari.htm wrote:
Riding pressure
9 - 11 bar (130-160 psi)
Since that's a range, I presume it is a range of recommended riding pressures, not a statement of maximum pressure. If so, that's mighty high. What pressure were you using in the rain?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 pm 

I cant remember the pressures I used to run. However I dont remember going over 120psi and always letting air out when it rained.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:47 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

HammerTime2 wrote:
Regarding DedaTre OLIMPICO, http://www.dedatre.com/en/tubolari.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wrote:
Riding pressure
9 - 11 bar (130-160 psi)
Since that's a range, I presume it is a range of recommended riding pressures, not a statement of maximum pressure. If so, that's mighty high. What pressure were you using in the rain?

That also goes a long way to explain how they achieved this very low measured (lab test) rolling resistance, I suppose............

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:45 pm 

why haven't the Vittoria Pave's been mentioned?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:01 pm 
Formerly known as wassertreter

I feel there's some support for the Conti's missing in this thread, so to balance things here goes ...

My riding is mostly on good quality roads, but there's the unavoidable glass every now and then. The Conti Comps are great for that, super grip in wet and dry, nice feel (on the good roads I have), and no cuts so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:53 am 

i got some conti tubs to glue up for my first tub wheelset and a big mistake that was if you do a search youll find there the most difficult to mount. i left mine inflated on a wheelset for over a year and they went on with the least amount of effort another factor i think was the rim profile. ie punctures vittoria are better for me the conti's cut up to easy and the ride does feel a bit dull.

"GO CAV"
:thumbup:

We go against the odds, against the grain

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:53 am 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next