Weight Weenies
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/

Look 585 size dilemma
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105269
Page 1 of 1

Author:  CamMancuso [ Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:51 am ]
Post subject:  Look 585 size dilemma

I just bought an 06 XS Look 585 for a steal, but I'm just not sure the fit is right. I am 5'6" and 3/4" or about 169cm tall. I'm not sure of my inseam but my legs aren't very long. The bike just looks and feels small on me, there's a lot of stack and I really can't go much lower without being way cramped over the bike. I was wondering if anyone would recommend going to a Small 585 (if I can ever find one) which is considered a 51 with a 53 TT (worried it may be too big), or considering something like a 50cm Cannondale SystemSix which has a 52.5 TT.

I used to ride an 07 53cm Cannondale Six13 which was a little too big and I just sold an 06 Scott CR1 Team which was a Small, I fit decent on it but just never felt completely comfortable.

Any input on a direction to go size/frame wise would be appreciated. I'm a college student so basically what I sell the 585 frameset for if that is the route is my budget.

Author:  Weenie [ Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:51 am ]
Post subject:  Look 585 size dilemma


Author:  BobSantini [ Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

I'm your height (with 80 cm inseam) and my bike is 53.4 cm ETT. Frame stack 546, reach 373 mm.

It fits like a custom prosthesis with a 100 stem, 90 reach bars and Campy brifters.

Author:  oreoboreo [ Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

I am 5'5" 29 inseam. I use to ride 52cm bikes with a normal tt of 53.7 way too long, I could never ride on the hoods. I sold the 52's and found a new sweet spot with bikes 48's, 49's and 50's all with a max 51.5 tt. It seems like each bike builder never measures the same and you have to measure yourself and mount/ride the bike.

My Scott Addict r1 is called a 48 and measures the same as my 50, off the shelf it did feel cramped, howevr a 100mm stem helped it fit like a glove. I have never climbed better and genereated as close to complete power out of each revolution.

Most of guys I ride with do give me a hard time since they say I ride a kids bike, it works for me

Author:  DaveS [ Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

Measure your saddle height, from the center of the crank to the top of the saddle, along the centerline of the seat post. FWIW, I'm your height, but have long legs. My saddle height is 73cm and for that reason, I ride a 51cm or small size LOOK 585. It fits great with a 110mm stem, but only with short reach bars and Campy brake hoods. Standard reach bars or other brake/shift levers would require a shorter stem. I use a lot of saddle to bar drop (9-11cm). I can achieve that with only a 5mm spacer under the stem. A stem angle of 84 (-6) or 73 (-17) gives the range of 9-11cm of drop.

If you saddle height is quite a bit lower, then you've got a long torso. The vertical size of the bike should be no problem, but you'd want to use handlebars with a reach of around 85mm, and might need a 120-130mm stem.

Either of these frames can be made to fit the same with changes to the stem length and angle and the proper bars, but the smaller one might need a high-rise stem if your saddle height is as tall as mine and you can't handle a large saddle to bar drop.

Author:  veloman [ Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

I'm 5'9" with a 32 inch inseam. I had an 06 585 in medium that I loved but was a tad on the small side for me. I think if you went to a small, that would probably be spot on for you - you'd get a taller head tube which it sounds like what you need and I don't think the reach for the top tube would be too long at all with a 90mm stem. If your uncomfortable on the frame now, you're probably not going to get comfortable on it at any time.

Author:  sanrensho [ Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

oreoboreo wrote:
I am 5'5" 29 inseam. I use to ride 52cm bikes with a normal tt of 53.7 way too long, I could never ride on the hoods. I sold the 52's and found a new sweet spot with bikes 48's, 49's and 50's all with a max 51.5 tt. It seems like each bike builder never measures the same and you have to measure yourself and mount/ride the bike.


I am 5'5" (165 cm) with a 30.5" (77.7 cm) inseam. Currently ride a 51.5 cm ETT Scott CR1 and a 52 cm Rocky Mountain Team Scandium. Both fit me like a glove with 90 mm stems.

I feel like I could easily go to 50.5 - 51 cm with a 100 mm stem, especially with the long head tubes these days.

Author:  CamMancuso [ Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

Thanks for all the input everyone. Looks like I'll be looking for a Small 585 (so far they seem quite hard to come by). If anyone is selling one or comes across one reasonably please let me know. My XS is on craigslist and a few other forums I'll try and blow that there before I have to deal with ebay fee's. If anyone's interested in it send me an email, it's in great shape.

Does anyone know how a 51cm Cervelo R3 would fit compared to a Small 585? I'd rather have another 585 but the R3's are fairly easy to find

Author:  OrPe [ Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

There's a small 585 bike currently on ebay... full bike though.


Oren

Author:  DaveS [ Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

CamMancuso wrote:
Thanks for all the input everyone. Looks like I'll be looking for a Small 585 (so far they seem quite hard to come by). If anyone is selling one or comes across one reasonably please let me know. My XS is on craigslist and a few other forums I'll try and blow that there before I have to deal with ebay fee's. If anyone's interested in it send me an email, it's in great shape.

Does anyone know how a 51cm Cervelo R3 would fit compared to a Small 585? I'd rather have another 585 but the R3's are fairly easy to find



The original R3 woould have a significantly shorter reach, since the STA is 73 degrees and the LOOK has a 74.5 degree STA, that increases the reach (with the saddle in the same position, relative to the BB).

FWIW, I bought a 51cm R3 when it first came out and hated it. I only rode it for 200 miles before tearing it down and buying my first 585 in a size small (I've owned two). The current R3 has a different geometry, with longer chainstays and a more relaxed HTA that combine to make the wheelbase and front-center longer, much like a LOOK, but the reach should still be shorter.

Author:  CamMancuso [ Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

Saw the one on ebay, I have a Record group, Wheels, and a carbon cockpit I'd rather not buy a full bike to strip down for the frame. Couldn't be seen on one of those baby blue and wgite ones either I'm all white or all black

Author:  CSquare43 [ Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

CamMancuso wrote:
If anyone is selling one or comes across one reasonably please let me know. My XS is on craigslist and a few other forums I'll try and blow that there before I have to deal with ebay fee's. If anyone's interested in it send me an email, it's in great shape.



You may want to check the Look forum on Roadbike review. Justin, a Look employee recently posted over there that they have some stuff for sale and he may be able to help you find a different size...

Author:  CamMancuso [ Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

CSquare43 wrote:
CamMancuso wrote:
If anyone is selling one or comes across one reasonably please let me know. My XS is on craigslist and a few other forums I'll try and blow that there before I have to deal with ebay fee's. If anyone's interested in it send me an email, it's in great shape.



You may want to check the Look forum on Roadbike review. Justin, a Look employee recently posted over there that they have some stuff for sale and he may be able to help you find a different size...



Any links to his post? I checked around quick and didn't find anything

Author:  Weenie [ Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma


Author:  HammerTime2 [ Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Look 585 size dilemma

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/look/y ... 85728.html

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC+01:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/