HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 pm 

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Is the MegaMorph an MTB pump? And if I want a pump for road tyres should I be looking at the RoadMorph?

Thanks.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:59 pm 

The MegaMorph is a nearly full size travel pump. It's great for packing in travel cases or hiding under the seat in your car. It's not for riding with. You'll want the RoadMorph for carrying with on road ridesz. If you want to save some weight look into the RaceRocket series.

Eddie O
Topeak Inc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:57 am 

The Road MasterBlaster is the best option for road pumps on-the-bike. For my wife, we got a Mini Morph, which works well for those without the strength to operate the pump without the footpad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:56 pm 

Topeak is nice stuff, but it gets beaten hands down by Lezyne - especially the new HP pump and CO2 combo with the valve connector to reduce stress on the valve (and the rider when it sheers of under the watchful eye of the club ride group)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:51 am 

Spindoctor wrote:
Topeak is nice stuff, but it gets beaten hands down by Lezyne - especially the new HP pump and CO2 combo with the valve connector to reduce stress on the valve (and the rider when it sheers of under the watchful eye of the club ride group)

Anything that is Lezyne and comes with one of those screw-on ABS 'air chucks' sucks. Even the teams they sponsor are cutting the 'air chucks' off. As you unscrew they can also unscrew a removable valve core. They should at least give you some superglue with the pump.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:01 am 

Eddieodea wrote:
The MegaMorph is a nearly full size travel pump. It's great for packing in travel cases or hiding under the seat in your car. It's not for riding with. You'll want the RoadMorph for carrying with on road ridesz. If you want to save some weight look into the RaceRocket series.

Eddie O
Topeak Inc

Thanks. A MegaMorph I will probably buy then, assuming I can get one in the UK. I want something a bit smaller than a regular floor pump to travel with on a plane, as opposed to a pump I can ride with.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:02 am 

Spindoctor wrote:

Actually, in the scope of this thread I completely disagree. Lezyne doesn't make a comparable pump in terms of the utility found with the road morph. Yes, Lezyne does make stuff that is shiny and prettty - but the road morph allows you to fairly easily get road tire pressure well above 100 psi. That, in combination with its size make it the best "if you actually want it to work" pump to attach to your bike. I haven't used a Lezyne hand pump in about two years, so they may have introduced something that works better, but I've never found a compact hand pump to be able to produce pressure above.. 90psi?

When I travel and can't bring along a proper sized pump, I don't hesitate to grab the road morph.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:02 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:35 am 

Valbrona wrote:
Spindoctor wrote:

Anything that is Lezyne and comes with one of those screw-on ABS 'air chucks' sucks. Even the teams they sponsor are cutting the 'air chucks' off. As you unscrew they can also unscrew a removable valve core. They should at least give you some superglue with the pump.

I have the Lezyne pump and I haven't had any problems with it. However, I don't discount what you say and if it is a problem, then it's a problem. I just don't see how you can still use the pump if you remove the air chuck. If I recall correctly, you absolutely need the air chuck for the pump to work. Am I wrong here?