New SwissStop Carbon Pads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

bluhorizan wrote:Just bought a lightly used set of 2010 Reynolds carbon MV32 tubular set of wheels. Had a PR for the year on a 8 mile 7-8% grade climb with some sections in the 10+% range. Sounds like the Reynolds blue pads may be a better choice for my wheel set from what others are saying.

Mt Diablo?

Get the Reynolds pads. They're cheaper than SwissStops, work much better, and are what Reynolds recommends.

drewb

by drewb

Are there pads that work for both carbon and al rims?

Possible that there will be compromises- but it will be better than changing brake pads on the new Trek brakes system (And that is a whole 'nother story for those who want to know.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Regardless of whether these exist or not it will still not allow to switch between alloy and carbon rims and vice versa.
Not unless you don't mind risking a set of carbon rims anyway.

The simplest solution is to acquire an extra set of padholders and then just swap out one for the other depending what type of rim you'll be riding next.

No such thing as a free lunch.... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

eric

by eric

Pads used on aluminium rims collect little shards of aluminium, which get embdded in the pads. Those will shred carbon rims. Carbon rim makers specifically warn against using pads on aluminium rims and then on carbon rims without throughly cleaning the shards out. That means removing the pads and using an awl to pick them out. So if you have to use your carbon pads on aluminum, like if you get a wheel in a race, you must remove the pads and clean them before using them on carbon wheels. If you use pads with shards in them on carbon rims and damage them, don't expect to warranty the rims.

It looks like the pad retention screws are a little more difficult to get to on the Trek aero brakes, and on the rear you have to get the pads past the chainstay. But it doesn't look like set screw access would be too hard once the wheels removed, which you'd do to swap pads anyhow. Just reach in with an allen key. Once you have the screws out, flip the QR back and apply the brake to squeeze the pad holders together. That lets you slide the pads out past the fork. Same trick should work on the rear, but you may need to squeeze the brakes together even farther with one hand to get the pads out past the stays. With regular pad screws you can unscrew them most of the way but leave them in the holder, which makes it a little faster because you don't have to thread them back in. They just need to be out far enough to let the pad slide out. You could probably do the same with these.

Or you could switch to EE holders which don't use retention screws.

micky

by micky

eric wrote:Pads used on aluminium rims collect little shards of aluminium, which get embdded in the pads.

Not joking but serious question; if your alloy brake track lose alloy, it means you do have some bad quality rims, no?

I changed several brake pads and never noticed any alloy into it.

Grannen

by Grannen

Recently bought a pair of 303's (I didn't expect to get a 11s body) anyword from zipp about these pads?
Waldo?

konky

by konky

The idea that alu shards damage carbon wheels when interchanging pads between alu and carbon wheels gets trotted out every time this subject comes up, which seems to be quite often.

Has anyone actualy found this. I.e. it has actually happened to them, not just having heard it from someone else. I agree with micky in that I think using good quality alu wheels should be a prerequisite of this question.

Is it an old wives tale?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

micky wrote:
eric wrote:Pads used on aluminium rims collect little shards of aluminium, which get embdded in the pads.

Not joking but serious question; if your alloy brake track lose alloy, it means you do have some bad quality rims, no?

I changed several brake pads and never noticed any alloy into it.

I usually notice the aluminum bits in my pads after riding in wet weather...I can only imagine what those little bits of hot metal would do to a carbon rim after a good amount of descending?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Here is a pic of the grey pads on my bike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

micky

by micky

Wingnut wrote:I usually notice the aluminum bits in my pads after riding in wet weather...I can only imagine what those little bits of hot metal would do to a carbon rim after a good amount of descending?

I do not mean not to trust your words, I was just honestly asking cause I personally have never noticed alloy bits on my pads.
Probably cause I dont ride that often in wet conditions, just a guess.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Is it an old wives tale?

You wish..... :lol:

Find me one, just one, manufacturer of carbon rims/wheels that clealry states in print that it's quite allright to use whatever brake pad on alloy rims and their carbon product alike.

Yes, I know, there are brake pad manufacturers that produce pads they claim would work an both alloy and carbon rims. That does not mean you can use that very same pad on both carbon and alloy rims.

Even if you're prepared (which you're not, obviously) to thoroughly clean out a pad that's been used on an alloy rim, how are you going to be sure some piece of metal is still not embedded into that pad somewhere?
A single shard is all it takes to thorughly damage a carbon rim, regardless of its pedigree or price tag.

Those who think alloy rims don't lose pieces of metal should do a few rounds on a cyclo-cross bike. The european way if possible....

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

eric

by eric

konky wrote:
Has anyone actualy found this. I.e. it has actually happened to them, not just having heard it from someone else.

I pick shards out of my pads every time I take them off. Doesn't matter what wheels I was using them on, there are always some.
Have you taken brake pads off and looked at them?

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Its not a myth nor an old wives tale ... its old time wrenchers observations.

Its a fact. I clean out my aluminium rim pads every other month and it never fails to have objects embedded in them be it aluminium or sometimes even the odd bits of sand/ dirt.

If you have actually spent enough time fussing over the maintenance of your bike and its tuning, its something you'll encounter/notice. And I've been at it for the most part of the last 2 decades for every single one of my bikes ... :wink:

giantdale

by giantdale

I don't think existence of alu shards in the pads is in question here. Though, do they really damage carbon rims? Any experience?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Though, do they really damage carbon rims? Any experience?

Why not try a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper on a carbon rim and convince yourself? :twisted:

Ciao, ;)