New SwissStop Carbon Pads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

duodiscus

by duodiscus

@philipBer - Could you elaborate a little more about what makes them better than the Yellow King pads with the CCUs? Modulation? Heat buildup? Stopping power? All of the above?

I'm waiting to swap to Black Prince pads with my CCUs until the official nod from Mavic, but I'm curious what I should look forward to.

Thanks.

brycerider

by brycerider

dereksmalls wrote:I want to know how they go with Enve 45 rims

The Black Prince go very well. I put them on after wearing out a set of Enve pads. Definitely better braking. Will see how the wear rate goes but its looking similar to the Enve pads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
N+1 It Never Stops

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

philipBer

by philipBer

duodiscus wrote:@philipBer - Could you elaborate a little more about what makes them better than the Yellow King pads with the CCUs? Modulation? Heat buildup? Stopping power? All of the above?

I'm waiting to swap to Black Prince pads with my CCUs until the official nod from Mavic, but I'm curious what I should look forward to.

Thanks.

Heat buildup: can't really tell you, since I am living in a flat area and normally riding alloys when pedaling in the mountains.
Modulation: from my point of view, modulation is much better.
Stopping power: little bit better as the yellows, but not very much.

You did not mention the price; in Europe the Black Prince Pads are cheaper than the yellows. And finally you will not have the ugly yellow dust on your rims and brakes.... :thumbup:

micky

by micky

Are they cheaper in EU?
I checked quickly (honestly not deep search..) but I found the yellow still cheaper.

philipBer

by philipBer

micky wrote:Are they cheaper in EU?
I checked quickly (honestly not deep search..) but I found the yellow still cheaper.

You are right! My Bike shop did a mistake, they put the wrong price tag on them, so I got them for 16€ (Campagnolo Version). :thumbup: After selling them to me for that price they realised their mistake and changed the price to 28€. Lucky me! :mrgreen:

1415chris

by 1415chris

For Zipp owners, they put Black Prince among their approved pads :thumbup:
Maybe it isn't the latest hot news for everybody, but definitely it's for me :)
Platinum Pro Evo although they perform really good, they are a bit pricey, more less 50% more than BP and as far as I'm concern, not available in UK, only ebay.
Now, it would be nice to have some reports on how BP perform vs. Pro Evo.

konky

by konky

CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:Before we can give approval for usage of Black Prince pads in combination with Lightweight wheels, we have to do our own tests - both on road and in laboratory.
This will take some weeks. Until that only the Lightweight by Swissstop pads are allowed for Lightweights wheels to avoid a loss of warranty.

Coming up to nearly a year ago Andreas from CarbonSportsGmbH said it would be a few weeks before they would announce if Black Prince pads would be approved or not on Lightweight wheels. As far as I know there's still no word. Lightweight pads made by SwissStop are good, as good as yellows, but if Black Prince are better I'd rather use them if my warranty won't be affected.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Been waiting a year too. +1 for an update from CarbonSports please.

claus

by claus

Maybe it might be simpler to contact CarbonSports support directly instead of asking here on the forum?
Just an idea...

And then you can post the answer here.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Two years on, have anyone had or seen an official statement from CarnonSport with regards to the use of the Black Prince?
I only ask because Googles knows nothing. Thank you.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Bottom Line: CarbonSports recommends against using Black Prince pads, and recommends (and I believe requires in order to maintain warranty) use of Lightweight (branded) brake pads, which are produced by Swiss Stop. At least as of July 2014.
Jul 10, 2014

Hello <HammerTime2>

my colleague Heidi forwarded your email to me.

At the moment we don´t plan to do an update on our Swiss Stop Brake Pads.

We do measurements every time and researching together with Swiss Stop on the combination Brake Pad and Brake surface.

For the moment we have the best mixture of rubber for our pads in dry and wet conditions. Even to avoid overheating especially in the big mountain.

if you have further question, pls let me know.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,
Oliver Kiesel
Head of Product Management & Service
CarbonSports GmbH

Von: <HT2> [mailto:<HammerTime2>]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 9. Juli 2014 17:28
An: Gajo, Michael
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: Your request at Lightweight

Michael,

Is there any update on the brake pad testing? Is Swiss Stop perhaps developing a new generation brake pad optimized for Lightweight wheels?

Thanks.
<HammerTime2>

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:00 PM, "Gajo, Michael" <M.Gajo@lightweight.info> wrote:
Hi <HammerTime2>,

sorry but I don't have any further informations. All I know is, that we sent some wheels to Swissstop so they can make new tests.
The actual Lightweight brake pades are specially developed for Lightweight wheels. They have a special mixture of different rubber etc and are not similar to Swissstop yellow. They just looking the same ;) But even if they would have the exact same mixture the particles for the colour would have an influence on braking performance compared to the black one.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,
Michael Gajo
Internal Services & Logistics
CarbonSports GmbH

Von: <HT2> [mailto:<HammerTim2>]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 21. Januar 2014 16:22
Betreff: Re: AW: Your request at Lightweight

Michael,

Can you please clarify regarding the new test series being started. Is a new version of Black Prince being tested, and if so, and the results are satisfactory (or good), will this result in SwissStop changing the formulation of Black Prince, or maybe designating a new model name, or producing a Ligttweight-branded version optimized for Lightweight, similar to the arrangement with the current Lightweight pads which supposedly are a version of SwissStop yellow optimized for Lightweight wheels (although many people doubt there's a real difference other than the color).

Or is new testing being done with the exact same pad formulation as was tested previously and as is now being sold as Black Prince?

Thanks,.
<HammerTIme2>

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:23 AM, "Gajo, Michael" <M.Gajo@lightweight.info> wrote:
Hi <HammerTime2>,

I can't give you a recommendation for Black King for Lightweight wheels.The first tests were not to our & Swissstops satisfaction, so at the moment a new test series is started.

Andreas left our company in November and at the moment we have nobody for support in the internet forums.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,
Michael Gajo
Internal Services & Logistics
CarbonSports GmbH

Von: <HT2> [mailto: <HammerTime2>
Gesendet: Montag, 20. Januar 2014 18:31
Betreff: Re: Your request at Lightweight

Michael,

I use Ventoux DT 240 wheels ... but I am trying to determine whether SwissStop Black Prince pads might be better, especially in wet conditions (I rarely ride in the rain, but there is always a possibility of having to descend a mountain in the rain). Do you have a specific recommendation regarding Black Kings vs. (existing) Lightweight pads on these wheels? I would certainly like to get better wet braking performance, if it comes at no degradation to other performance attributes or wheel longevity or integrity.

Note that Andreas had responded in a Weight Weenies forum thread in September 2012 that CarbonSports was still testing Black Prince pads for use on Lightweight wheels, but he never provided conclusions, nor did he respond to email I sent him Feb 2013. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105211&start=15#p919507 . Perhaps Andreas would like to reply in that thread and provide information to all Weight Weenies forum members, many of whom use Lightweight wheels.

On September 25, 2012 in New SwissStop Carbon Pads, CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:
CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:Before we can give approval for usage of Black Prince pads in combination with Lightweight wheels, we have to do our own tests - both on road and in laboratory.
This will take some weeks. Until that only the Lightweight by Swissstop pads are allowed for Lightweights wheels to avoid a loss of warranty.
Has CarbonSports done any testing of the Black Prince pads yet?

We're still testing them.

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

I realise that the new EVO version is marketed for aero brakes etc and is therefore thinner but I also note that they have a different groove layout. Do this provide any benefit over the standard (thicker 3 groove) version when it comes to wet weather?

Philbar72

by Philbar72

I've got a set of the aero ones on the front wheel of my time machine. i notice only that they wear quicker. bear in mind most of the work i do on them is in flattish or rolling roads. running with zipp 303's

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

Philbar72 wrote:I've got a set of the aero ones on the front wheel of my time machine. i notice only that they wear quicker. bear in mind most of the work i do on them is in flattish or rolling roads. running with zipp 303's

Thanks for the feedback Phil. I'll go with the standards and see how they perform first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com