Carbon wheels decision advice please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

inasia69

by inasia69

I weigh 92kg and looking for my first carbon wheels. I've read quite a bit on the forum and some wheel reviews and now I'm looking to narrow my choices.
Use would be mostly all around everyday wheel in good weather with rolling hills with some 100k rides not worried too much about wind. Some group riding but mostly solo.

I've never rode on carbon wheels yet and live in Chiang Mai so there are not many opportunities to borrow or try anything. My current bike is a Trek Domane 5.2 with stock bontrager race wheels tlr, they don't excite me.

I have a chance to buy the 2016 zipp firecrest clinchers 303 new for 1,750. usd from a reputable dealer on ebay has anyone seen them cheaper than this? I know they are not tubeless.

I was also looking at perhaps saving some coin and received 1 quote from farsport for the 50mm x 25mm tubeless with novatec hub 535.usd. U shape rim.

Currently riding tubeless and I do like them so any other carbon tubeless with the performance and price near the zipps would be considered. Or should I get the farsports for a first carbon wheel.

I know the quotes are quite far apart and the 1,750. would be my limit so Bora ones would be out of reach.

Any opinions on which one or another recommendation?

Cheers!

mimason

by mimason

Why are Bora One's out of reach? These are $1500 USD basically on Starbike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inasia69

by inasia69

Thanks for the reply, on the check out with starbike for bora one it's 1,600. usd 1,438 euro. So that is preferred to the zipps I think.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Easton Aero 55 is tubeless.

mimason

by mimason

Make some legit posts on this site to qualify and you get 5% off that price.

inasia69

by inasia69

I purchased the farsports wheels as this is my first carbon wheel that I will ride so don't have much to compare to and I don't race. For 600usd delivered it was not a huge down side as I don't plan on riding them in steep situations.
I bought the 50mmx25 for front and 60x25mm for rear, tubeless with no holes, they said it was a new model with basalt braking. 18mm inner specs for the rim on a modern u shape profile. Anyone running a tubeless tire on farsports wheels now? I plan for now to put on the Bontrager r3 tubeless that came with my bike on the new wheels. I will decide later to run 23 or 25 Schwalbe tubeless on them.

My thinking was the 60 would be stiffer in the rear tire instead of going with a matched profile.

I wanted Chris Kings for the hubs but for a first wheelset for me I choose the edhub instead of novatec, per their recommendations.

I will post pics and follow up comments when I receive the wheels.

Sandy was quite responsive to my emails in the transaction.

Multebear

by Multebear

inasia69 wrote:
I purchased the farsports wheels

50mmx25 for front and 60x25mm for rear,

Don't know about tubeless, but you'll appreciate Farsports wheels, that's for sure. If tubeless doesn't work out for you, you'll be happy with good fast tires and latex tubes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com