Vuma Quad with Internal routing DI2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

noctal

by noctal

Has anyone tried to run internal DI2 with a Vuma Quad crank in a standard (non BB30) BB?

I am concerned that there might not be enough free space between the inside of the BB and the outside of the 30mm axle on the Vuma. To add to my concerns is the fact that the Vuma does not have a water seal tube?? so the wiring could potentially wear rapidly from contacting the rotating axle.

Noctal

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

While I haven't done it with the Vuma I have done it with other 30mm spindled cranks, namely the Clavicula. There just isn't room between the spindle and the shell on a bsa frame to make it work well. Keeping the wire off the spinning axle is near impossible. Some of the true bb30 frames have larger inner cavities though so there is probably room to make it work in some of them. Just use a few drops of super glue to stick the cable up and out of the way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tim

by Tim

another tip is to use a thin plastic sheet (such as in plastic yogurt bottle) as a shield between the cable and the axle (i think it's mentioned in shimanos' own guide)

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Yes.
But I routed the cables over the BB shell not through.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Right, just depends on frame and the lug/mold that the bb shell is in. Some have space over the shell (cervelo's for example), others have no space (look 595 for example).

williamsf1

by williamsf1

do you think that on an S2 cervelo it will clear the vuma quad axle?

any helpful pictures???

goodboyr

by goodboyr

As I said, Cervelo's have lots of room, inside the mold for the bottom bracket, but outside the shell. Just as in Coloclimber's install.

And on the Cervelo forum, there's a nice description of an S3 install. The BB mold area is the same as the S2.

http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/7054.aspx

And this is a great detailed writeup on an S3 install.

http://web.mac.com/curtschaller/home/Blog/Eintr%C3%A4ge/2010/11/25_Cervelo_S3_1_files/Cervelo%20S3.pdf

williamsf1

by williamsf1

yeah I have red both of those many times now.... they are really good! but lack just a little of the fine detail that makes me wonder about the BB clearance....

so you think that you can route the wires well above the BB?

does anyone have a photo with the use of the internal wiring kit?

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Di2-EW-79 ... 49&sr=8-30

When I do this ( next month ) I am going to be taking a lot of photos I think!!!!

where is COLO when you need him ;)

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've got a Cervelo R3. The bottom bracket area is similar, if not exactly the same as the S2/S3's and I can tell you that there's tons of room in the mold above the bb shell. You will have no issues. In order to pull the full internal 7975 harness, I pulled a brake cable to use as a cable fish from the head tube , down the down tube, over the bb shell all the way out the hole in the back of the chain stay. It went through in one go. Here's a shot of me testing the pull using a 1/4 inch poly tube, just to make sure I had room. I pulled that through first time, very easy.

williamsf1

by williamsf1

well that is very good news!!!

what did you do with that ugly junction box? is there some way of hiding that too?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

This is the full internal cable set. I modified the battery mount to go under the BB. Which junction are you talking about? On the internal, the junction gets tucked inside the frame. It's just a rectangular block. If you're talking about the front one with the check light and button, it's in the normal position, zip tied to the rear brake cable housing. Feel free to pm me during your install if you have any questions or if you want to see a picture of a specific spot.

williamsf1

by williamsf1

ok that looks pretty neat!!!

this is the junction box.... you dont seem to have it? I would hope to get rid of all the wires into the frame....

and this is how most seem to have it?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I want to hide pretty much everything if possible!!!

I will do the battery in the seatpost mod, but I would be dead keen to know if it is possible to run the other cables in the bars, then drill a hole in the bars into the stem and into the frame via the steerer tube....

anyone ever done that?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

That's not the full internal EW 7975. That's either the regular external, or could be the part internal EW 7972 or EW 7973. Those come with the ugly cable loom that bolts to the bottom of the bb. The EW 7975 is fully internal.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/DA_Di2/EW7975/SI-7DF0A-003-ENG_v1_m56577569830671365.pdf

Also see this for more info:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50lparsys-0034-downloadFile.html/10)%20Di2%20Wire%20Kit%20Instructions.pdf

williamsf1

by williamsf1

ok we are getting somewhere now!!!

so with the EW 7975 you don't need the front and rear wiring cable?

so my list would be :-

FD-7970 front D
RD-7970 rear D
EW-7975 internal wire kit
ST-7970 brake/shifter
SM-EW79A-E front wire kit

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-1200mAh-B ... B003MSW5J6

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Charger ... im_sbs_e_1

a stack of heat shrink and zip ties!

foam

and some model R/C water proof connectors.....

I need to order the shimano bits soon, as I can get a stupidly good deal in Hong Kong and will pick them up on the way through there on my next trip....

***edited to add front cable name!!***
Last edited by williamsf1 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The EW-7975 replaces the rear cable set, but you still need the front set SM-EW79A-E. The front set has the front jb with the indicator light and test button, and the connectors that plug into the shifters. So add the SM-EW79A and you're done.