HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: S5 Team or VWD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:25 am 

The "tt look" has an effect on ride quality, weight, stiffness and aerodynamics. If he were interested in a superlight climbing rig, I'm sure he would have started the thread off differently.

Horses for courses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:30 am 

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I seriously question the purchase of the S5 for recreational use. If your a committed racer and it floats your boat than fine, but I see a lot of "old men" being sold this bike and looking uncomfortable on it and unhappy with the handling when they have to fit it with a 80 mm stem. Things only get worse when they attempt to ease the firm ride with larger tires which they quickly learn won't fit. If you must go Cervelo the R series makes so much more sense for so many people.

As for the weight issue this is an old story. Cervelo frames can be distinguished from each other by the amount of paint. Never heard anyone rave about the performance difference between the S5, S5 Team, or the VWD.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:30 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:00 pm 

do you have to have it? no. would it be nice to have? sure. if you can afford it get it. if getting it means you have to put 105 on it then go for the lesser expensive frame and get better components.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:03 pm 

Mr.Gib wrote:
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I seriously question the purchase of the S5 for recreational use. If your a committed racer and it floats your boat than fine, but I see a lot of "old men" being sold this bike and looking uncomfortable on it and unhappy with the handling when they have to fit it with a 80 mm stem. Things only get worse when they attempt to ease the firm ride with larger tires which they quickly learn won't fit. If you must go Cervelo the R series makes so much more sense for so many people.

+1

All that wind tunnel data (i.e. hyped-up marketing) won't do you any good if it can't be made comfortable to the rider.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:42 am 
Shop Owner

Mr.Gib wrote:
but I see a lot of "old men" being sold this bike and looking uncomfortable on it and unhappy with the handling when they have to fit it with a 80 mm stem. Things only get worse when they attempt to ease the firm ride with larger tires which they quickly learn won't fit. If you must go Cervelo the R series makes so much more sense for so many people.

since the s-series and r-series have the same geometry, i fail to see one person that is riding an 80mm stem on an s5 ride anything but an 80mm stem on an r5. also, it's not that the s5 has poor handling, it's just that the r5 has better handling. it's also not as harsh riding as, say, their older slc-sl. hell, plenty of old fogeys bought klein road bikes and they rode mighty stiff.
i understand your point. im just saying it's not the difference between bad and good. it's more like good and better...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:24 am 

Mr.Gib wrote:

As for the weight issue this is an old story. Cervelo frames can be distinguished from each other by the amount of paint. Never heard anyone rave about the performance difference between the S5, S5 Team, or the VWD.

I am not a racer and I am over 50 so I am not as young as some. I do club rides with average speeds of 18 mph. I also do a number of long distance rides.
I currently own a R3SL which I like but it has crash damage. My plan to upgrade the bike to 9000 Di2 in another year, will use my existing Dura-Ace 7800 for now. The S5 has internal wiring/cables the R5 does not. I have no issues with the ride/handling of my current R3SL and don't think that the S5 will ride that much harder?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:19 pm 

For comfort between the R series and S series you must look at the different seat posts. Depending on which R3SL, you may have a 27.2 diameter seat post. That is significantly more comfortable then the aero seat post on the S series. IMO a seat post type can have as much or perhaps more influence on comfort as saddle, wheels, or tires. That aero seat post will really kick you in the ass by comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:59 pm 

v70cat wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:

I am not a racer and I am over 50 so I am not as young as some. I do club rides with average speeds of 18 mph. I also do a number of long distance rides.
I currently own a R3SL which I like but it has crash damage. My plan to upgrade the bike to 9000 Di2 in another year, will use my existing Dura-Ace 7800 for now. The S5 has internal wiring/cables the R5 does not. I have no issues with the ride/handling of my current R3SL and don't think that the S5 will ride that much harder?

I just swapped my S5 and went back to an R3 (coming from an R3SL). The S5 IS harder although not so much at rear but at the front ! No wonder if you consider the cross section of the downtube. It simply does not have the same vibration damping proporties as the R3SL. The thing really flies though, especially with the wind blowing from behind. Another issue with the S5 is the shape of the chainstay, which forces you to be very careful if you don't want to damage it when performing wheelchanges. The chain rubs off the paint in no time if you're not careful.

It is a sexy and utterly modern looking machine, but it comes at a price (the harsh ride)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:40 pm 

My R3SL had a heavy tape cover the chain stay for protection the S5 does not have it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:46 am 

Yes, but the one that comes with the frame only covers very small part of the top of the stay. I feel the space between the end of the stay extending inward and the freewheel is a bit tight, this causes the chain to put quite a bit of pressure on the stay when you remove the wheel if you don't guide the chain by hand.

Have a close look and give it a try and you will know what I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:30 pm 

+1 I know exactly what you mean, I always have to guide it by hand

Last edited by emdot on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:31 pm 

SSB wrote:

It seems though that the only two members of this board who have VWD frames had problems with the rear brake mount stripping or breaking, and it appears to be a bad design. Strange that the problem has only been reported on VWD frames, but not Team/base frames.

FWIW I have the S5 base and just recently changed the brake calipers, no issues with stripping or breaking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:27 am 

Well I order the S5 VWD I hope I like it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:56 am 

Good luck! :beerchug: And show us machine when you assemble it. :wink:

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:56 am 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3