Lampre mechanic Ronny Baron assembles a team bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

savechief

by savechief

I'm sure that lots of you have seen this video series before, but it's worth posting for others that haven't:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1GZOVSj5LI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxiJv0TblI
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTuNwe9uDk0
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uk-Ce5kWcs
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuREnm9eTjI
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Good series.
Experimental Prototype

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Good link thanks!

jerade

by jerade

Nice, clips, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Anybody know a series of videos like that in english, preferably of a cannondale evo getting built?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Good find.

dcaspira

by dcaspira

DMF

by DMF

Is it just me, or was that not - for a pro team mechanic - a bit sloppy? Like the cable housing for instance, just terrible... I would expect my LBS to put together a bike like that, but that's why I do the job myself, so it gets done with affection and absolute perfection. Not just so the job gets done as fast as possible.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@DMF

what's your comment on the cable housing?
A tad too long?

DMF

by DMF

Yeah, not perfect length, no preparation of the housing ends post cutting. And so on... See Sheldon Brown's guide for tips on how to do it properly, not just good enough. But basically, it goes for all of it, you can "pamper together" a bike way more, and as a pro team mechanic, I reckon you should just for the sake of it.

Sure it's race worthy as is, but when everyone else brings all their guns to the fight for the win, why doesn't he...

savechief

by savechief

DMF wrote:Is it just me, or was that not - for a pro team mechanic - a bit sloppy? Like the cable housing for instance, just terrible...

In all fairness, the total length of the 5 videos is around 43 minutes. I'm pretty sure that he took longer than 43 minutes to build the bike, and that certain parts were edited out. For instance, there is a break in the video after he cuts the front brake housing, so perhaps he did some preparation on it that just wasn't shown on video.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

DMF wrote:Sure it's race worthy as is, but when everyone else brings all their guns to the fight for the win, why doesn't he...
Because pro mechanics cost money, and with the amount of stuff to be done, then good enough, if that, is all they have time for, and maybe only the stars' bikes are really even good enough. True, they could hire more mechanics, but that would cost more money, eating into the profits of the team. Would a team more than make up in winnings, sponsor value, etc. what it would cost to hire another mechanic or two to do a higher quality job - I don't know.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Pro teams change cables and wear items so frequently that they might not make the extra step of cleaning every cable end. That would add significant time if you multiply that by how many bikes they have to prep for their team. Then the cables might be replaces a week or two later.

DMF

by DMF

Yeah, you're right about the editing. That might very well be the case. Though from an editing perspective I don't see the point in editing out the interesting bits that would differ a pro mechanics job from a common LBS mechanic just putting a bike together...

But if that's the case, surely someone har a good reason for it.

EDIT/ Sure there might be a reason, such as insufficient time, but then atleast we agree, for whatever reason, it's still sloppy. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com