Lampre mechanic Ronny Baron assembles a team bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valy

by Valy

Just watched the first video and looks fine. Perfection does not really exist and it depends what you focus on at the end of the day - there is a kick in everything for everyone.

As for torque wrenches - you get a feel for the limit. I remember being absolutely terrified about it, but having used the torque wrench for a while I understood where the stop was. I tried it myself on a few things, including carbon steerer and seatpost clamp - with and without a TW and I was pretty much spot on. When you approach max torque there is a definite stop and the resistance spikes almost vertically. So I can imagine that a mechanic who does this all the time will have a good feel of that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mec287

by mec287

Great links - thanks :thumbup:
S-works 2012 in Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Are these the vids where he uses a gear hanger alignment tool to bend a replaceable gear hanger on a carbon frame? I just wouldn't do that. If we are talking a replaceable gear hanger that is only very slightly misaligned on a carbon frame ... I would live with that and not bend. In fact, I would only bend a gear hanger on a steel frame. Anyone bending a replaceable gear hanger on a carbon frame is asking to break the frame.

DMF

by DMF

In all fairness, most of these gear hangers are made out of cream cheese... veeeeeery soft aluminum.

petal666

by petal666

Valbrona wrote:Are these the vids where he uses a gear hanger alignment tool to bend a replaceable gear hanger on a carbon frame? I just wouldn't do that. If we are talking a replaceable gear hanger that is only very slightly misaligned on a carbon frame ... I would live with that and not bend. In fact, I would only bend a gear hanger on a steel frame. Anyone bending a replaceable gear hanger on a carbon frame is asking to break the frame.

Campag doesn't work with a bent hanger so a lot of people have no choice. + you worry too much.