$1k to spend on gruppo, What Would You Do?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

transamman1999

by transamman1999

I'm budgeting right at $1,000 for a gruppo for my new Road bike. If you were in my shoes, building up a new bike for 'everyday' riding(4-5days/week....~150-200miles/week), and you had $1,000 budget, what would you purchase?

I'll be using the bike mainly for training and a few road races, but I'll probably keep my current, alum bike for crit races.
I'm trying to keep a dark grey/black theme.
I already have a great training wheelset and carbon race wheelset so please no comments on saving for better wheels/other stuff.

The $1,000 budget is for:
- Brifters
- Crankset (170mm, 53/39T) & BB (BSA)
- FD
- RD
- Cassette (12-23T)
- Chain
- Pedals (SPD-SL compatible)

Just curious to see everyone's opinions/thoughts.
Thanks!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I would go 105 5700 assuming your wheelset is shimano/sram. If you can get an Ultegra crank though.

kgt

by kgt

Would buy a used 10speed Campagnolo record group.

bricky21

by bricky21

Personally I'd find a set of force shifters(new) and a force crank(new or used) then go Apex(new) everywhere else. Ebay would be the place to start imho. If there was enough in the budget I'd upgrade the shifters to red(pre 2013).

bricky21

by bricky21

Pedals I'd go Shimano 105. they can be had new for around $50 + SH

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Brifters? :evil:

Shift levers.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

NGMN

by NGMN

Either Sram Rival or Centaur Carbon.

I like the suggestion of going Force(or maybe even Red because the older stuff is on sale in some places) at the shifters, and then Apex/Rival elsewhere.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Force or old(er) Red shifters, Rival ders. Force or Rival crank.

OrPe

by OrPe

In your shoes... i'd be looking at chorus 11 speed. i think that if you look carefully enough, you'll get chorus (without the brakes, as you mentioned) for around that.

Wonderful group; weight at or less than dura ace; shifts flawlessly... and its campagnolo :)

Oren

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

I found my Chorus 11s group for 1100$ with brakes back in 2009, I'm sure you can find it even cheaper now. The brakes are easy enough to sell if you do nto want them.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

aaric

by aaric

$350 old red shifters
$300 old red cranks
$45 rival FD
$75 rival RD
$75 Ultegra cassette
$55 KMC X10SL chain
$100 pedals
---------------------

Not sure what the sweet spot on SPD-SL pedals is though, but 100 bucks should get ultegra, or at least 105

transamman1999

by transamman1999

wow, lots of Sram fans here eh? I've only ever ridden with Shimano components but def wouldn't mind trying out anything Sram. Is parted out Sram gear generally cheaper than Shimano, or are just not many ppl here fans of Shimano?

With some quick googling I found an Ultegra 6700 full grouppo plus pedals that would fit in my budget, but I thought you all might know of better deals/combinations of components.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The Chorus 11 is a good deal, but the downsides are that wheel selection will be slightly limited compared to a Shimano or SRAM setup. Only slightly, but there is a limitation of selection nonetheless.

SRAM is typically the best value with $/performance among the three major drivetrain manufacturers.

As other have suggested, your best investments may come in mixing/matching SRAM components. Start sniping eBay.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Go find new old stock 1st geneation Sram Red.

Leave out the front derailleur and rear cassette.

Get ultegra cassette on closeout and a closeout 7800 front derailleur.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

transamman1999 wrote:wow, lots of Sram fans here eh? I've only ever ridden with Shimano components but def wouldn't mind trying out anything Sram. Is parted out Sram gear generally cheaper than Shimano, or are just not many ppl here fans of Shimano?.

Shimano is good stuff. A lot of people aren't all that fond of 7900 though.

SRAM is lighter, and cheaper, and they just released a new red groupset. As such, there's a lot of older red being cleared out, so the prices are great. If you are on a budget, its hard to beat the SRAM offerings IMO, especially since you can pickup the old red bits that make a big difference cheap at the moment.

Also, rival derailleurs perform as well or better than the old SRAM red, and are damned cheap for what they are. They also are black, which you asked for ;)