Felt F75 under 7kg

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

by RMcC

Hi all,

Im thinking about getting a Felt F75 and trying to get it under 7kg but ideally down to around 6.5kg. Is this possible without spending bucket loads of cash? I was going to go down the CAAD route but as either bike is only available as a fully built bike ill be stripping the 105 groupsets off that both come with.

Has anyone tried to build a lightweight F75 or am I better to go down the tried and tested route of a CAAD 10? Im only really attracted to the Felt as the CAAD 10 is £400 more to start with and I dont really like the replica liquigas colour it will come in.

If I do go down the F75 route would running full Sram Force be light enough to get it down to the sub 7kg bracket or would I need to go with a lighter crankset and brakes?

Also what wheels would people recommend? I was thinking of easton ea90 slx wheels at 1386g but have read of lots of reports of spokes breaking so would like something roundabout this weight but more reliable.

by iamalex

To throw a spanner in the works, have you taken a look at the Canyon Ultimate Al? Pretty competitive weights for the price and they look pretty nice too...

Ultegra spec £1369 @ 7.35kg
Tour de France special means they're throwing in Sigma computer, 2x cages, 2x bottles, Topeak tool, Topeak pump, extra conti. inner tubes.

Could make for a pretty solid foundation to an Alu build.

If you were looking at stripping a F75 or CAAD10... From here looks like the saving of Force over 105 is 611g.
On the F75 that would bring you down to around 8kg, leaving you 1kg+ to find through the other components. You could stick in it a spreadsheet and see where the best savings per £ can be found by subbing in alt components. Force+ these components would probably start adding up price wise.

by Weenie

by istigatrice

wheels and tyres look like boat anchors, probably close to another 1kg there, saddle can probably be tuned, and if you go with planet X CNC ultralight brakes (205g) instead of SRAM force you could drop another 150g over 105...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Dimitri

force and those wheels alone wont get you there, but its do-able.

the F75 frame is available as a frameset (here in AU it is anyway)

its called the FA. probably makes more sense to buy that, as the F75 comes with a FSA crank so you wont get quick easy more for the stock groupset as its not complete.

Anyway FA/F75 frame is a decent low weight, but ..

check this thread - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=100671

likely the Felt frame (depending on the size you need) and fork is heavier.. but BB30 force groupe should come close to levelling it out, the rest gives you a pretty good idea about the type of parts youll need.