KMC X10 SL Chain, how much weight will it save?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

I just can't bring myself to spend £44 on a chain, I got the non Super-Light version off eBay for £20!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I just can't bring myself to spend £44 on a chain, I got the non Super-Light version off eBay for £20!

Putting aside all other benefits of that chain it's still a relatively cheap way to save about 20g over a more standard offering though..........

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

turbo pepper

by turbo pepper

I've been trying to revamp my Cervelo R2.5 with Record ( see here). Putting my spec on a spreadsheet and playing with the weights and prices involved, the chain was one of the cheapest ways to save weight, on a gram per euro spent basis:

Record Chain, 270g
Record Hollowpin chain, 246g
Weight saving, 24g
Cost, E42
Price per gram saved: E1.75/g

Only bottle cages came came up as a cheaper way to save weight. Most expensive change is a full ti Record cassette instead of alloy/ti Record K7, which costs E23 per gram saved.

jersievers

by jersievers

Does anyone know what the width of these new chains are?

I am a long time user of the KMC chains, but their 6.2 Campy width chains do not work as well as my new Wipperman 6.0 width chain. I would more then willing to switch back if KMC would make a real 6.0 width SHIMANO chain.

big fellow

by big fellow

just bought the gold one of these yesterday while browsing in LBS waiting for the rain to stop so I can ride my motorbike without getting killed

not weighed it yet but keen to get the bling happening! interstingly the box says it's 240 gr....

kroe

by kroe

The X-10SL gold was seriously the best purchase I have made yet. My bike had a rough feeling while pedaling since I built it... nothing I did could make it disappear (I worked at the best shop in the area for 5 years, I know how to tune a bike). I replaced my SRAM 970 with a X-10SL gold on a 9 speed setup, and the rough pedaling disappeared instantly. The 970 was definitely junk, but the new chain was very impressive, even ignoring the significant weight savings.

-Ken

sestivers

by sestivers

Karbon wrote:There is another benefit. You can use the supplied quicklink with the KMC chain, no need for those pesky pins. It's then easy to remove your chain for cleaning or packing your bike.

Can you not just buy the quicklink and put it on the Shimano chain (or use the SRAM or Wipperman version)? If so, this point would be moot.
Steve

Knut

by Knut

sestivers wrote:Can you not just buy the quicklink and put it on the Shimano chain (or use the SRAM or Wipperman version)? If so, this point would be moot.

Yes, I have used, and use the SRAM Powerlink in CN-7800 chains, no issues.