Stronglight CT2 chainrings on Campy Record

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hrailone

by hrailone

Hi, I would like to know if anyone here has have any problems fitting the CT2 chainrings on Campagnolo Ultra Torque Record crankset.
I'm asking because I have just mounted them in my crankset and have striped three Record aluminum chainring bolts (expensive replacement) in the process using a torque wrench. I have used 8 Nm as Campagnolo advises. I have never had any problems with Campagnolo stock chainrings.

Have any of you had the same problem because I had the replacement bolts and have torqued them to 4,2 Nm this time and it seems that they take the pressure but I have also striped another bolt trying to rise the pressure to 5 Nm. It's strange because I have a Campagnolo Steel chainring bolt that takes the recommended 8 Nm without problems.

Any help please because I don't want to spend a fortune in bolts.

Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I'm guessing you're greasing the threads?
Also are you partially tightening by criss-crossing from bolt to bolt rather than tightening each one fully?

BTW I've just got a set 53/39 135 PCD. I've not fitted them yet but was surprised at the weight of the 53 (97g) - heavier than record! The 39 is 31g.

hrailone

by hrailone

Mine are the CT2 compacts on 50 and 36 and came 21 gr. lighter than the stock Record ones.

Weights:
Record 50 = 99 gr.
36 = 47 gr.

Stronglight CT2 50 = 87 gr.
36 = 38 gr.

For the bolts at first I greased them, maybe this could be the problem, now I have them clean of grease.
Anyways I have ordered a complete set of TISO bolts for Ultra Torque as backup.

Cheers.

maxima

by maxima

I just got my 10/11 speed CT2 chainrings (This the latest version from Stronglight for 11 speed) deliver from xxxcycle as recommended by stronglight website. I tried fitting onto campy 11 speed super record compact cranks and the BCD doesn't fit. I emailed xxxcycle to request for chainrings specific to super record compacts!

Anyone is aware if 2009 11 speed campagnolo compact crank is different from previous generations.

BTW, we tried various combinations with the local campy agent!!! 101% validate it doesn't fit!!!!!!

hrailone wrote:Mine are the CT2 compacts on 50 and 36 and came 21 gr. lighter than the stock Record ones.

Weights:
Record 50 = 99 gr.
36 = 47 gr.

Stronglight CT2 50 = 87 gr.
36 = 38 gr.

For the bolts at first I greased them, maybe this could be the problem, now I have them clean of grease.
Anyways I have ordered a complete set of TISO bolts for Ultra Torque as backup.

Cheers.

Sybarite

by Sybarite

I think the BCD on Campy compact is 112mm (vs 110mm on most other compacts).

maxima

by maxima

The 5 spider, all 4 is 110mm and the 5th spider is 113mm or 112mm base on my measurement.

Don't waste your $

Sybarite wrote:I think the BCD on Campy compact is 112mm (vs 110mm on most other compacts).

The Stig

by The Stig

hrailone wrote:Hi, I would like to know if anyone here has have any problems fitting the CT2 chainrings on Campagnolo Ultra Torque Record crankset.
I'm asking because I have just mounted them in my crankset and have striped three Record aluminum chainring bolts (expensive replacement) in the process using a torque wrench. I have used 8 Nm as Campagnolo advises. I have never had any problems with Campagnolo stock chainrings.

Have any of you had the same problem because I had the replacement bolts and have torqued them to 4,2 Nm this time and it seems that they take the pressure but I have also striped another bolt trying to rise the pressure to 5 Nm. It's strange because I have a Campagnolo Steel chainring bolt that takes the recommended 8 Nm without problems.

Any help please because I don't want to spend a fortune in bolts.

Cheers.

Where did you buy your ct2 rings? I have a chorus UT compact and want those same black ct2 chain rings you have...preferably a US retailer if you know of one...ThankS!

hrailone

by hrailone

I bought them in a local store but as someone has mentioned above you can get them here:

http://www.xxcycle.com/110-ct2-2-campagnolo,,en.php

These are the same as the ones I have and fit the 10 speed compacts correctly.

Cheers.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

So the 11 speed chainrings work with the SR 11 or not?

are these the right ones?
http://www.xxcycle.com/135-ct2-2-11-speed-campagnolo,,en.php
http://www.xxcycle.com/135-ct2-1-11-speed-campagnolo,,en.php

Why not just use the Campy chainrings on a 3rd party crank? I guess the Stronglights are a few grams lighter

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Record/Chorus CT cranks have 4 bolts at 110bcd and 1 at 113bcd. I believe that Super Record is exactly the same.

If the CT2 chainrings don't fit I suggest that you have been supplied with 110bcd ones

gumgardner, those chainrings look like the right ones for the standard SR road crank but obviously not the CT crank

gumgardner

by gumgardner

stephen@fibre-lyte wrote:Record/Chorus CT cranks have 4 bolts at 110bcd and 1 at 113bcd. I believe that Super Record is exactly the same.

If the CT2 chainrings don't fit I suggest that you have been supplied with 110bcd ones

gumgardner, those chainrings look like the right ones for the standard SR road crank but obviously not the CT crank

what about the ax morpheus?

em3

by em3

hrailone, you need to measure the thickness of the new chainrings on the tabs where they meet the spider and compare them to your Campy rings. If they are too thick you might not be catching enough threads on the bolts, which is resulting in striped threads. Or, if they are too thin you might be bottoming out, causing you to over torque in order to get a bite, resulting again in stripped bolts. You can find thin chainring spacers to make up the difference if you find you need to compensate for the difference.

Good luck,
EM3

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

gumgardner wrote:what about the ax morpheus?

I believe that is a standard 110bcd 5 bolt crankset.

@em3 has a point. Campag chainrings are usually around 3.5mm thick at the crank I think. Regarding the chainring bolts themselves, steel will take a lot more torque than aluminium alloy (in general) so you could just be over torquing the alloy bolts. A rough rule of thumb I have always used for chainrings (just a personal thing) is to 'nip' the chainring bolts up by hand with a hex key then take it another quarter turn. If you're pushing them further than that with the torque wrench it may be something to look at.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I believe that is a standard 110bcd 5 bolt crankset.

To the best of my knowledge no other crankset takes the Campa CT specific chainrings.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Correct! :wink: (even some of the Campag CT cranks are standard 110 I think)