Need some Help 4500g BH

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

princebmc
Shop Owner

by princebmc

Hi All,

We are on a bit of a mission to build a readily available "off the shelf" bike at 4.5kg to sell in my store.

Here is where we are at with products that we have readily available on the shelf in the shop

BH Ultra Light Frame Set
Lightweight Ventoux (Ceramic cassette)
THM Clavicula Cranks
THM Fibula Brakes
Schmolke TLO Seat Post
Extra Light Stem
Schmolke TLO bars
Power Cordz Shift Set
Selle Italia SLR 115g saddle
Strong Light Rings
Vittoria Crono Evo CS

I am wanting to do as much SRAM on the bike as we can so that it can be reliably ridden

Shifters
F&R Ds
Chain
Cassette

There is a little bit of info on our web site
http://www.trakcycles.com.au/news/id/41

Now where I need some help is its looking like being a 4.7kg bike. Have I missed anything obvious?
Did that just happen!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sgray

by sgray

Ditch the Ventoux's and build a set of MV32UL Rims laced to Extralite hubs, sub 800g...would get you under 4.5kg and save several thousand $ too! Not exactly off-the-shelf, but I wouldn't consider the rest of the build either. Enve 1.25's might also work.

michel2

by michel2

I am wanting to do as much SRAM on the bike as we can so that it can be reliably ridden

Shifters
F&R Ds
Chain
Cassette

if you want to make it reliable and nice you would use Campagnolo..

sorry couldn't help myself (-: good luck with the build sounds very promising !

sgray

by sgray

KCNC Cobweb Chainrings or Fiber Lyte
KCNC or Recon Cassette, the Crono CS tires won't last long anyway.
Dura Ace 7900 FD instead of SRAM, lighter and works fine.
X10SL chain, again works better than SRAM and lighter or better yet Tiso FD

Dov

by Dov

You could lose another 30g by going up to the SLR Tekno @ 85g
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I think you would lose most weight by switching frames, since the BH Ultra Light isn't really as ultra light as the name suggests :?

williamsf1

by williamsf1

Glen!! :P :P

you will need this : -

http://fairwheelbikes.com/recon-aluminu ... -3087.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 95grams for 11-23 I have done 5000km on one....

http://fairwheelbikes.com/kmc-x10sl-10- ... -3355.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 224grams cut down - best chain EVER!!!! + its light.....

http://fairwheelbikes.com/fibrelyte-car ... -1069.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I got 7000km out of the set of rings on my di2 bike....

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/ ... bular-tire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; can go lighter .... I have some 100gram tufo's I carry for a spare on the go "getmehome tyre"

wheels you could save a shed-load with just go some ENVE 1.25's with extralite hubs!!! http://fairwheelbikes.com/enve-125-extr ... -2901.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

me thinks you are now down to the best ridable weight ;)
Last edited by williamsf1 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I don't think this will get to 4700 grams with the build list you have here. I think it'll come out to around 4900

leosantos

by leosantos

you will save tons, sorry, tens of grams here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92700&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so instead of powercordz set, use just the cordz themselves as there´s lighter options for housing..

regarding comments to ditch the ventoux.. I wouldnt do that if I was running a shop (unfortunetly I dont)..
you could well save 100 gr and lower the pricetag with custom built wheels, but in the end, for most walk-in costumers, it is more appealing to see a bike with Lightweight weels (and think, wow, these guys here can really get all the best stuff) than to lift the bike and (not) be any more impressed cause it weighs 4,500 instead of 4,600 grams..

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I'm going to watch this one with great interest as I am tossing up between the EVO Ultimate and the BH Ultralight.
From a weight perspective Ride Review have stripped both bikes down to bare components and weighed them – although they did use the EVO Team frame (812g bare). Even assuming the EVO ultimate bare frame is 725g the weight difference between the two for the full frameset with headset and fittings is between -10g and 40g for a 56 size – essentially nothing.
What interests me in this weight range is that the BH seems to offer genuine stiffness. The reviews have been very positive and praised the BB386 and tapered headset as contributing to very direct power and steering control – something that is of interest to me as a 100kg rider. A large (100kg+) local rider has both the EVO Ultimate and Willier 7 (which shares the same BB setup system as the BH) – he is convinced the 386BB is much stiffer than the EVO BB30 for riders of our size.
In terms of the OP’s build – for the wheels the Ventoux are the only practical option I would go near for stiffness and reliability in the sub 1100g weight range – especially if I had to warrant them as a shop owner.
The rest of the build is pretty solid for a bike this weight – I am a big fan of the THM Fibula brakes but I am not sure you can use them with Powercordz as the powercordz clasp system is not THM compatible to my knowledge. In the end I used Alligator i-Links with mine which were still pretty light.
If a Cannondale EVO with 2011 SRAM Red can achieve a weight around 5kg with its componentry this build will be coming in a few 100g’s lighter – the proposed seatpost, brakes, cranks, wheels, bars and cables should lose you around 350g to 400g-ish (assuming you can get the powercordz to work). The new lighter 2012 SRAM Red components may lose you another 50g to 75g ish.
Working within the parameters of the OP (which to my mind exclude the usual boutique stuff with limited lifespan or performance degradation) there is not a lot I can think of. Bike Ribbon Spugna bar tape is sub 30g and very comfy and KMC XL chains are also light and very serviceable. Maybe a Ti cassette – the ones I have used have worked pretty well.
Good luck – will be watching with interest.
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Phill P

by Phill P

Definitely stick with the new red cassette if you are wanting a reliable durable light weight cassette.

You can then go for the Yaban Ti chain. Meant to be very durable despite being the lightest chain. However raather expensive. Will shift better than sram.

What are you using for QRs?

have to say - you have some top gear "sitting on the shelves" in your shop!
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

53x12

by 53x12

^ that is a joke, right?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

fletch62

by fletch62

My post or the price of the bike?

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

From my experience the Yaban chain is light - about 10g to 15g lighter than KMC - but shifting is lousy - even with Di2.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com