Question about fitting after market fork to a frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

veloman

by veloman

Hi, I have an Pinarello Dogma AK461 frameset and would like to fit an aftermarket fork like an Easton or Enve. What to I need to consider? I know the rake is 43mm and I'll match that. The frame has an upper headset bearing of 1 1/4 and lower bearing of 1 1/2. Does that matter? Can I use any fork that has the same rake and a 1 1/8 diameter steerer or do I need a certain size steerer to match? Thanks
Last edited by veloman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

Are you trying to improve/alter handling or is it just strictly a weight loss issue?
If you are trying to keep the same handling you should also try and duplicate the axle to (fork) crown length. changing the length will also offset your trail slightly, which in terms alters the handling slightly.

veloman

by veloman

Actually, the steerer is just a bit too short for my comfort

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Measure the fork that's on it, but I think you're gonna need a tapered steerer on the fork to match the headset. There may be adapters available. If there are, maybe you could adapt this: http://www.enve.com/forks/tapered/darkdeals.aspx.
I put an Enve fork (43) on my Merlin CR Works and it greatly improved the handling of the the bike. Super quick, predictable, and not so stiff it hurts.
Nice fork.

michel2

by michel2

i like your license plate (-: aswell as your bike ofcourse