HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 122 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:36 pm 

Ez Way to make them lighter rim has i done and faster , 24 hole rim make to 12 hole rim they Rim are super strong

i did a full flip on my road bike and the only thing to blend was my forks, it 1 " steel and carbon fork yes it when out ture by 3 mm side to side has cx ray spokes and alu nippers, i don;t see why you can;t more miller and drilling i am 75 kg, Go for it good luck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 pm 

You can probably just run around the rim, making it like "swiss cheese" full of holes, with a ~6mm drill bit. Just don't let the holes touch each other. Make sure to post pics!

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:52 am 

Rick wrote:
You can probably just run around the rim, making it like "swiss cheese" full of holes, with a ~6mm drill bit. Just don't let the holes touch each other. Make sure to post pics!

This is probably a good idea. Prehaps holes of different sizes, like dimples of Zipps. :beerchug:
However, making cut outs could save more weight? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:56 am 

justkeepedaling wrote:
Do it, drill that sucker. Do it for the lulz

Andrew69 wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:
Do it, drill that sucker. Do it for the lulz

And make sure you have someone take a video of you on your first ride with them :thumbup:

Phill P wrote:
:thumbup: :beerchug: :popcorn: :faint:

I see what is in your mind. :roll: :unbelievable:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:59 am 

Zakalwe wrote:
Why even ask the question when you intend to do it anyway and dismiss every answer that explains why it's a bad idea? Baffling.

Thank you for your reply. Don’t you think, this is what ww discussion forum is for? It needs aggressive/new ww ideas for discussion. Beside, like any other forum, there are enthusiastic lurking for knowledge and newbies/couch potatoes pretending they are experts who need education, and you will never know if you could learn a few things new during the process.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:38 am 

The point is that most people are able to distinguish between aggressive and dangerous tuning. You might be the first to do this, but it's not without good reason.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm 

Oh, so NOW you get what we are getting at? Once you mention it and everyone says you gonna get yourself injured (or killed), you're supposed to just do it anyways, right? Drill it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 pm 

kai-ming wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:
Why even ask the question when you intend to do it anyway and dismiss every answer that explains why it's a bad idea? Baffling.

Thank you for your reply. Don’t you think, this is what ww discussion forum is for? It needs aggressive/new ww ideas for discussion. Beside, like any other forum, there are enthusiastic lurking for knowledge and newbies/couch potatoes pretending they are experts who need education, and you will never know if you could learn a few things new during the process.

You haven't offered anything worth learning though, you asked why you shouldn't and got told why you shouldn't. If you want to educate, get on and do it and then tell us all you were right so we can all start hacking into our Bora Ultras.

And very best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:37 pm 

jsinclair wrote:
The point is that most people are able to distinguish between aggressive and dangerous tuning. You might be the first to do this, but it's not without good reason.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

I say it is apparent that most people are NOT able to distinguish between aggressive and dangerous tuning. Most people are average, brilliant are minority. To the average, brilliant reason is no good reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:56 pm 

Do you even know the wall thickness of the rim where you plan on shaving? All the rims I've seen that have been shaved are done so at the spoke bed where a rim is the thickest, not anywhere on the side of the rim.

You really are acting like a dick when you try to put down anyone that disagrees with you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:10 am 

Zakalwe wrote:
kai-ming wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:

You haven't offered anything worth learning though, you asked why you shouldn't and got told why you shouldn't. If you want to educate, get on and do it and then tell us all you were right so we can all start hacking into our Bora Ultras.

And very best of luck.

Heads. :mrgreen:
http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/19_inch_rim ... 11617.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :smartass:
I was not saying that you are one of those newbies/couch potatoes, serious.
Now, is that something new/interesting to learn?

Last edited by kai-ming on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:13 am 

ergott wrote:
Do you even know the wall thickness of the rim where you plan on shaving? All the rims I've seen that have been shaved are done so at the spoke bed where a rim is the thickest, not anywhere on the side of the rim.

You really are acting like a dick when you try to put down anyone that disagrees with you.

Now, I see you have not seen many rims.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:21 am 

ergott wrote:

''not anywhere on the side of the rim'' - please also refer to my post on Mavic ISM3D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:51 am 

ergott wrote:
Do you even know the wall thickness of the rim where you plan on shaving?

I'll ask this again. I don't look at a lot of prebuilt wheels like those. Obviously those rims are designed with enough wall thickness to allow for that. If you don't even know the wall thickness of the rims you are working on or what the wall thickness of the rims you desire to copy (both where they are shaved and where they aren't) good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:52 am 

kai-ming wrote:
Now, I see you have not seen many rims.

This is a perfect example of your awesome personality.

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:52 am 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 122 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next