HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 122 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:38 am
Posts: 34
Ez Way to make them lighter rim has i done and faster , 24 hole rim make to 12 hole rim they Rim are super strong

i did a full flip on my road bike and the only thing to blend was my forks, it 1 " steel and carbon fork yes it when out ture by 3 mm side to side has cx ray spokes and alu nippers, i don;t see why you can;t more miller and drilling i am 75 kg, Go for it good luck


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm
Posts: 1505
You can probably just run around the rim, making it like "swiss cheese" full of holes, with a ~6mm drill bit. Just don't let the holes touch each other. Make sure to post pics!


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 94
Rick wrote:
You can probably just run around the rim, making it like "swiss cheese" full of holes, with a ~6mm drill bit. Just don't let the holes touch each other. Make sure to post pics!

This is probably a good idea. Prehaps holes of different sizes, like dimples of Zipps. :beerchug:
However, making cut outs could save more weight? :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 94
justkeepedaling wrote:
Do it, drill that sucker. Do it for the lulz

Andrew69 wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:
Do it, drill that sucker. Do it for the lulz

And make sure you have someone take a video of you on your first ride with them :thumbup:

Phill P wrote:
:thumbup: :beerchug: :popcorn: :faint:

I see what is in your mind. :roll: :unbelievable:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 94
Zakalwe wrote:
Why even ask the question when you intend to do it anyway and dismiss every answer that explains why it's a bad idea? Baffling.

Thank you for your reply. Don’t you think, this is what ww discussion forum is for? It needs aggressive/new ww ideas for discussion. Beside, like any other forum, there are enthusiastic lurking for knowledge and newbies/couch potatoes pretending they are experts who need education, and you will never know if you could learn a few things new during the process.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:26 am
Posts: 386
Location: Sydney, Australia
The point is that most people are able to distinguish between aggressive and dangerous tuning. You might be the first to do this, but it's not without good reason.

Good luck, you are going to need it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 am
Posts: 1174
Location: by Crystal Springs (Sawyer Creek Trail)
Oh, so NOW you get what we are getting at? Once you mention it and everyone says you gonna get yourself injured (or killed), you're supposed to just do it anyways, right? Drill it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 183
kai-ming wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:
Why even ask the question when you intend to do it anyway and dismiss every answer that explains why it's a bad idea? Baffling.

Thank you for your reply. Don’t you think, this is what ww discussion forum is for? It needs aggressive/new ww ideas for discussion. Beside, like any other forum, there are enthusiastic lurking for knowledge and newbies/couch potatoes pretending they are experts who need education, and you will never know if you could learn a few things new during the process.


You haven't offered anything worth learning though, you asked why you shouldn't and got told why you shouldn't. If you want to educate, get on and do it and then tell us all you were right so we can all start hacking into our Bora Ultras.

And very best of luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 94
jsinclair wrote:
The point is that most people are able to distinguish between aggressive and dangerous tuning. You might be the first to do this, but it's not without good reason.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

I say it is apparent that most people are NOT able to distinguish between aggressive and dangerous tuning. Most people are average, brilliant are minority. To the average, brilliant reason is no good reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Posts: 1871
Location: Islip, NY
Do you even know the wall thickness of the rim where you plan on shaving? All the rims I've seen that have been shaved are done so at the spoke bed where a rim is the thickest, not anywhere on the side of the rim.

You really are acting like a dick when you try to put down anyone that disagrees with you.

_________________
www.ergottwheels.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 94
Zakalwe wrote:
kai-ming wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:
Why even ask the question when you intend to do it anyway and dismiss every answer that explains why it's a bad idea? Baffling.

Thank you for your reply. Don’t you think, this is what ww discussion forum is for? It needs aggressive/new ww ideas for discussion. Beside, like any other forum, there are enthusiastic lurking for knowledge and newbies/couch potatoes pretending they are experts who need education, and you will never know if you could learn a few things new during the process.


You haven't offered anything worth learning though, you asked why you shouldn't and got told why you shouldn't. If you want to educate, get on and do it and then tell us all you were right so we can all start hacking into our Bora Ultras.

And very best of luck.

Heads. :mrgreen:
http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/19_inch_rim ... 11617.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :smartass:
I was not saying that you are one of those newbies/couch potatoes, serious.
Now, is that something new/interesting to learn?


Last edited by kai-ming on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 94
ergott wrote:
Do you even know the wall thickness of the rim where you plan on shaving? All the rims I've seen that have been shaved are done so at the spoke bed where a rim is the thickest, not anywhere on the side of the rim.

You really are acting like a dick when you try to put down anyone that disagrees with you.

Now, I see you have not seen many rims.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Posts: 94
ergott wrote:
Do you even know the wall thickness of the rim where you plan on shaving? All the rims I've seen that have been shaved are done so at the spoke bed where a rim is the thickest, not anywhere on the side of the rim.

You really are acting like a dick when you try to put down anyone that disagrees with you.


''not anywhere on the side of the rim'' - please also refer to my post on Mavic ISM3D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Posts: 1871
Location: Islip, NY
ergott wrote:
Do you even know the wall thickness of the rim where you plan on shaving?


I'll ask this again. I don't look at a lot of prebuilt wheels like those. Obviously those rims are designed with enough wall thickness to allow for that. If you don't even know the wall thickness of the rims you are working on or what the wall thickness of the rims you desire to copy (both where they are shaved and where they aren't) good luck.

_________________
www.ergottwheels.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Posts: 1871
Location: Islip, NY
kai-ming wrote:
Now, I see you have not seen many rims.


This is a perfect example of your awesome personality.

_________________
www.ergottwheels.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:52 am 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 122 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], danbjpa, F45, ferrarista, fignonsbarber, Google Adsense [Bot], kampiakseli, PLuKE, poppiholla, Wielrenner and 66 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. New Fulcrum Racing Zero - Freehub material

in Road

excremanwu

4

421

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:08 pm

Stolichnaya View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. White low profile saddle for heavy rider

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

Spaetzle

21

1183

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Stats View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Shimano RS80-C24 vs Shimano WH-9000-C24

in Road

cyronix

14

12718

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:34 pm

Twinning View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Shimano 6870 or Shimano 9000?

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]

in Road

Ahillock

33

3633

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:48 pm

Stats View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Shimano RS81 C24 Carbon vs. Shimano Ultegra RS81 24 wheels

in Road

anthonyc20

9

979

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:19 pm

btompkins0112 View the latest post


It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB