Shaving material off heavy rim of Shimano WH-R500 wheel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kai-ming

by kai-ming

kai-ming wrote: ..... In fact, I have done drilling holes at the upper bridge of a Ambrosio exellight rim of a front wheel for years without any problem at all. However, the wall thickness of the upper bridge is not thick so the weight saving there is little.

As I have said earlier that I have done the same thing that thisisatest did, three holes per space between spokes on the front wheel. It hold up well, I have used it for my everyday training for years. I was also disappointed on the weight saving, so I did not bother to drill on the rear rim.

Phill P

by Phill P

How big were the holes you drilled?

My view on this is that a 32spoke MTB wheel is FAR more robust than a 20 spoke R500 front wheel.

Sounds like the wheel must have been fairly "soft" to begin with, and the drilling didn't take out much.

Here is a thought actually. Say the R500 rims weigh 500grams (heavy rims medium profile) and you remove maybe 5% of the material(?)
You are going to save 25grams a wheel.
Even 10% off the rim and you save 50grams per wheel

Still going to be heavy wheels, and more likely to fail....
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

to the op.. go do it. i mean this IS ww............ duh
Mass Weenie

by 2011

The amount of effort and time it's going to take you drill up your heavy aluminum wheels... you could probably spend that time doing some jumping-jacks and drop a pound off your belly, compared to a few grams off your heavy rims. Just saying.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Or working to earn money for a real set of wheels that won't kill you.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

2011 wrote:The amount of effort and time it's going to take you drill up your heavy aluminum wheels... you could probably spend that time doing some jumping-jacks and drop a pound off your belly, compared to a few grams off your heavy rims. Just saying.

Do both.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kai-ming

by kai-ming

prendrefeu wrote:Do both.

:thumbup: Real weight weenies.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

kai-ming wrote:I have asked these simply strict questions in my previous posts.
1. Correct me if I am wrong. Yes, rim is designed to have hole cut in between spoke holes, i.e. hole for the tube valve. I have not heard of failure at the lower bridge of the rim between spoke holes or certainly not at the hole for the tube valve which is located in the middle between spoke holes. So, at least it would be safe to drill holes of the same diameter at the lower bridge in between spokes holes ?
2. Please explain to me why you wouldn't worry about the valve holes which go through both bridges of the rim ? I suppose the thickness of lower bridge has been designed to have the strength to take the force of spoke, therefore it could be considerably overbuilt in between spokes. Proof me wrong if you have better answer i.e. testing/calculations/computer modelling that you have heard of on this subject.

Simple.

Shimano, or whoever design the product in question, have designed their rim with the spoking pattern in mind from the outset. They will have used a dedicated machine to form the holes for the spokes and valve in such a way that it does not cause stress risers. Additionally, shimano may have, as one poster suggested, used heat or surface hardening treatments. This may very well have been done after the holes were made. Your drilling into the treated metal could have adverse effects that will render the original treatment ineffective.

But as another poster observed, Darwin Awards are still awarded.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

this is an r500 wheel. i seriously doubt any surface treatment was done. heat treatment-doubly doubt. drilling w/o causing stress risers- use a very sharp bit, cooling oil... this isnt their topoftheline super-duper rim, this is the cheapest one they make. is it even welded at the seam? what would the heat treatment be for, anyway? as i said before, there are so many much, much stupider things done every day by members of this very forum, i dont see why everyone's getting so critical with this one. it's not like he's drilling holes in his TIRES or INNER TUBES.

mjduct

by mjduct

drilling tires or tubes that might actually be safer...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

thisisatest wrote:this is an r500 wheel.... as i said before, there are so many much, much stupider things done every day by members of this very forum, i dont see why everyone's getting so critical with this one.

Yeah, seriously. It's like WW has a forum full of non-weight weenies all of a sudden. WTF are you all doing here if you aren't interested in tuning and getting the most out of your components as the very basis of the forum? The CycleChat and Pro talk and all the other stuff is just icing on the cake.

Besides, donald, who has the lightest bike on the forum and has tuned everything from low-end components to high-end ones, has personally tuned/drilled and modified MAGNESIUM clincher rims from a non-major manufacturer that doesn't even exist anymore (well, maybe the guy is alive, but the rims are not produced anymore). He rides them every single day for countless miles... No catastrophic failures to make people on the internet have their inflated fears verified.

...and people here are whinging over someone doing calculated drills on a heavy-ass low-end Shimano rim? :noidea:

People say its easier to lose weight elsewhere - no sh*t. Why not do both?
People say its easier to make a lot of money to pay for higher end components... yes, but so what? Why should that stop anyone from modifying components on their free time, high end or not? Besides, WW is NOT about buying the lightest and most boutique out there, although some people especially recently have taken that route instead of using their heads to figure things out, taking the effort to modify and tune components, and building up the bikes themselves.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

SSB

by SSB

One can be a WW, but it doesn't have to be in every bike component nor at the expense of anything whether it be cash, ride quality, etc.

When it potentially involves safety, then no amount of weight is worth risking your life for. Whether those concerns are founded, I don't know. Just intuitively to a lot of people, it seems that drilling holes in a wheel is going to weaken the rim and cause it to fail. I can see why people would get worked up about it- if this really is an unsafe project and the rim fails during a group ride because of that, other lives are also put at risk.

Personally, I just see these kinds of wheels serve their purpose as training wheels where weight isn't really a concern- as they say, you can't polish a turd. I believe people are overblowing the safety issue as these wheels are way overbuilt.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

So, how'd it go?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Phill P

by Phill P

Dead? Hospital? Dentist?
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Just spend $300 and build a niobium clincher already. This is a really pointless discussion. All this effort to get to 1600 grams is pointless when lighter wheelsets are a dime a dozen.