Campagnolo 11 speed chains missing link

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Is there a reusable missing link thats made for the 11 speed, (im using whipperman on my 10speed chain right now) Looking for one that I can take off for chain cleaning as I please.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

KMC should have one that works with 11S chains such as their own and Campa's. Not sure about other brands.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

I was just reading that some one was using the reusable KMC link on their 11 speed chain, can some one confirm this.

I think the 11 speed you have mentioned is not ment to be reused.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Well you go to the KMC website... :smartass:

And you will see the 11spd link instructions...it says "non re-usable".

http://www.kmcchain.eu/cms/bijlagen/Con ... eUs_GB.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boysa

by boysa

I've been using a KMC link on my Campagnolo 10s and now 11s chains for a few years. Very reusable. With 11s,however, you may need either pliers or their tool to open the link. It's much tighter than with the 10s.

Sent from my phone...
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I also use the KMC links in the shop and on my bike on campy chains. Very good and cheaper if I have to remove the chain for some reason.

ldamelio

by ldamelio

KMC 11 speed link advertised as single use only; not sure if you can open it with the Park pliers or something similar and re-use. Others may know. I use the KMC 10 speed link on my 11 speed Record chains and have done so since 11 speed came out. Works like a charm. Runs smooth, easy maintenance. Buy them in 6-packs from that popular auction site for less than the cost of one Campy chain pin.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Wasn't aware that the 10 speed missing link also works with 11 speed so I seriously appreciate this information. Are more people using this combination?

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

I am also running the 10sp SRAM link on my 11sp setup. No problems! :thumbup:
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

sorry, I made the mistake in my 2nd post, I wanted to know if any one is running the LMC 10 speed link, on their 11 speed set up, which looks like people do, thank you!

mjduct

by mjduct

just buy a KMC chain, works just as good, weighs less, and comes with the link!!!

and no friggin $200 chain tool.
I love campy, but I have no interest in singlehandedly bailing out the eurozone for that crap!

boysa

by boysa

Don't need a Campagnolo chain tool. I use an old Park tool I have to break the chain then install the missing link. I think Campy chains are works of art, maybe the best part of the gruppo. I've tried others and don't think the decrease in performance is worth the minor weight savings.

Sent from my phone...

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Indeed, opening the chain with a regular tool is no problem at all, you only need the special tool for closing the chain. I opted for the KMC Missing Link, but have been using the non re-usable 11 speed version. I will switch to the re-usable 10 speed link now though.

boysa

by boysa

Sjoerd,
As I mentioned, I use the 11s link and find it to be very reusable. It is the same as the 10s link, really. The only difference is I need the pliers to remove it where I used to be able to break the 10s link apart by hand. BTW, I am referring to the KMC Missing Links.

Miller

by Miller

On new 11-speed chains I close them in the Campag way. Saying that, I'm not using the proper tool, just closing the link with an ancient chain tool then peening the rivet with a centre punch. This has worked for me without issues.

However I've also been transferring part-used 11-speed chains to another bike. What I have found doing that is:
- KMC 10-speed link closes the 11-speed chain with no apparent issues
- Campag 11-speed chain works well in a Campag 10-speed drivetrain.

It's worth using the proper Campag chains because they are very good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com