Advice needed - TIME or LOOK

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chris217

by chris217

excuse the lame question but trying to make a decision between LOOK 585 or TIME SPEEDER

i know they are different frames and some might say the LOOK is a different level however i have heard good reports of both.

i need a light , comfortable long distance frame but i am 80kg so nee a reasonable amount of stiffness too.

any experiences revews appreciated

cheers
Ride more, eat less.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

And why those two frames?

There are dozens of others that would fit the bill...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

^ PP, maybe those are the two frames the OP narrowed them down to. I commend him for that vs. listing 5-7 frames he might be interested in. At this point I'm not sure he really needs to defend why he is interested in those two frames. He just needs some advice to help him narrow it down some more.

chris217, I think both are great frames and you will be happy with either. I assume both frames would be used or have you found NOS (new old stock)? If there is a difference in price between the two, that might help sway your decision. Both should be stiff enough for you. I am close to your weight and have found the 585 to be stiff enough for me. If you are worried about that, you could always go after the 585 Ultra version. The 585 is a very comfortable and stiff bike. I could ride the whole day on that thing. I have no experience with the Time, but I have also heard very positive things about them. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I don't know the geometry of the Speeder, but is it similar to the 585? I know someone will mention this, but make sure you fit the frame comfortably. Since these very well could be a used bike purchase and you might not be able to ride them, try to find a bike with a similar geometry and make sure you are comfortable with that. Good luck with your search. I will be happy with either one of them. :thumbup:

OrPe

by OrPe

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/frame ... 93crx.aspx
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/frame ... 93crx.aspx

both seem to get good reviews (with the look at >40 reviews and the time... only two reviews).

I am a big fan of LOOK. very compliant ride, and stiff enough for me.
did you consider the LOOK595?

Oren

chris217

by chris217

thanks guys and yes tranzformer you are right i have bought both frames used and wondering which one to build up and which one to sell on...

i am leaning towards the 585 as previously had 555 and loved it and geo wise its about right...

mmmm thanks again
Ride more, eat less.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

I ride the TIME VXRS Ulteam and once had a Time VXR as well.
but given the choice between a Look 585 or Time Speeder, I opt for the Look :thumbup:
aesthetically the Look still has its placed amongst modern carbon frames, built quality is top notch as well.

cheers!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I have both brands, but different models. As a brand, I couldn't recommend one over the other. TIME is less common, so you'll also find much less opinions and reviews from first hand users.

From what I have read only, I would say go with the LOOK 585.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Tranzformer, I stand corrected. Apologies to the OP if my post came across a bit harsh, that was not the intention.

As others have said, Time frames are less common. I don't think I have ever seen one "in the flesh". Both are from excellent manufacturers, doubt you will go wrong with either, but I will read comments from those with greater direct experience.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

twisted

by twisted

I have both a 585 and a VXRS.

If I had to choose between the two I would take the VXRS. Between the Speedster and the 585 though I would probably opt for the 585 as it was their top of the line frame and the Speedster was always down lower in their range.

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Not that it necessarily makes it a lesser frame, especially depending on it's purpose, but wasn't the Speeder outsourced and made in Asia, not made in Time's French factory?

sent by tapatalk because my computer is a paperweight

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I had a Look 585 for almost 4 years. Swapped it only because I got a 595 for a bargain.

BUT ... after a few short months, found that I still preferred the ride of the 585. Which prompted me to sell off the 595 for a Colnago EPS, again because it was available brand new for almost pre-owned price. I'm still riding my EPS now after more than a year. But when I go for really long rides, over some pretty shredded roads, I still miss the compliance of the 585 ! :?

Antoine

by Antoine

the Speeder was a cheaper model made in Asia .Time wanted to attract new customer but I don't think it was a success.
People buy a Time for it's quality not for it's price.

The 585 is a better choice.

chris217

by chris217

Thanks all, good thoughts , LOOK it is .....

will post pics of the build shortly

thanks again
Ride more, eat less.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I used to ride a Time Edge. As Antoine said, the big thing for me is that the Speeder was the only Time frame at the time that wasn't built completely in-house in France - tubes and all.

The Edge was a fantastic frame for an 'entry-level' model. I still have it in a box at home, and I'm tempted to re-build it. It's probably not quite as stiff as my Cervélo, but the ride quality was absolutely sublime.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chris217

by chris217

thanks matt, your Edge is not a size 58/59 is it and you dont want to sell it by any chance ?
Ride more, eat less.