HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:29 am 

metanoize wrote:
Anyone who says Ti is not stiff enough at the OP weight has no idea what modern custom Ti frames are like.

I'd say get Baum, Seven or Moots all are custom. Get a nice set of stiff wheels too (almost as important as a stiff frame). Something built with Alchemy or Tune hubs at 28/28 spokes. You'll be very happy. Or get Carbon wheels.

I would have agreed with your statement if the OP did not limit the frame weight to sub 1250 grams. Neither the Axiom nor the Vamoots will be that light for a size 60. Not sure for the Baum but my guess is its not that light either. The Ellium saves on weight with some carbon tubing

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:29 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:51 am 

6'7 95kg I have a custom R440, custom Helix, custom CX, custom TTer and custom Pro29. My partner has a custom 330 and is about to get another. The custom bit is mostly just having a longer top and head tube.

The two road bikes come in around 16lbs built up with full DA7800 and DA7850cl wheels so nothing super light on them, both ride better than other frames ive had including various cervelos, litespeeds, Issac's, cannondales. Didnt weigh the frame as the way i look at it when your my size frame weight is the least of your worries.

Difference between the 440 and the helix is hard to explain, there is one but i would say its just a matter of stiffness as they are both stiff enough. The way it goes for me is if im going out for a day and just want to have a nice fast ride i take the helix, if im going out for a 2 hour hammer then the 440 just feels a tiny bit more aggressive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:54 am 

I can assure the OP (and anyone else not reading the whole thread) that you could get a Corretto for that weight that will be more than stiff enough for him.

Also quite sure other brands would be able to come close too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:32 am 
Administrator

I own 6 Lynskey's and I'm sure you would be more than pleased with the ride. A sub 1250 frame might be a stretch since my lightest frame is 1244 for my R320 in M/L. Don't let another 100 to 200 grams put you off. That M/L as my daily training bike has over 25,000 miles on it and with climbing wheels weighs only 12.5 lbs. You can still get a very light weight with proper component selection. If you want the lightest and stiffest in your size I would call Lynskey and discuss your wants and needs with them to come out with the lightest and stiffest frame and go custom.

-First one over the cliff wins!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:38 pm 

How many of you claiming a ti frame will be stiff enough at the weight suggested will by the OP are near his weight? :roll: I would suggest the frame builder is the best judge in this case. I would put money on it that all of them would suggest a heaver build for this application if asked. My last frame was ti ( I broke it sprinting up hill btw) and happened to be within something like 6 grams of my current 953 with the exact same geometry. The 953 ride is so much better and it is the first bike I have used were I have zero flex issues with the BB. 953>ti strength to weight. is stiffer, stronger at the same weight and more dent resistant at any reasonable weight. Twist the tubes all you please but it will not fundamentally change the nature of the material (yes I have ridden a Lynsky, my size but it was not built to my specs)
Sad truth is that most frames are noodles when your much north of 85 kilos, for us a good case can be made for custom. While pros often exceed my 1650 watt sprints the do so with far less weight then I. Most frames are not designed for such cyclist and handling suffers. I guess this is not so important on a cruiser but on a performance bike it sure is. There are certainly many builders that can make a great custom frame that will work out of ti, modern stainless steels, aluminium, carbon fiber. The issue is getting a frame designed for your weight, geometry and riding style. The specific weight of that frame is of secondary importance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:47 pm 

In general, my view is that the weight of the individual on its own is not the most important criteria. If you weigh 100kg, but don't put out much power, then having a light weight frame is not so critical IMO. However, if you're heavy and generate significant power, then the stiffness becomes an issue. Looking at the bare numbers regarding strength, I was shown a table which supports Rusty's claim that 953 is significantly stiffer than titanium.

Last edited by KB on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:54 pm 

rustychain wrote:
Sad truth is that most frames are noodles when your much north of 85 kilos

Absolutely disagree.

Especially when most recreational riders don't put out a 1600+w sprint.

The OP hasn't indicated he's anything like you rusty, nor ride in the manner you do. So whilst for a given weight stainless could very well be stiffer, it's besides the point in this case.

fwiw I have a Ti frame that is mid 1200's, is plenty stiff enough for me and my meagre racing/riding. Otherwise I agree with KB.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:20 am 
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

rustychain wrote:
How many of you claiming a ti frame will be stiff enough at the weight suggested will by the OP are near his weight? :roll:

I am (well, was).

The Corretto will be solid as a rock - mine is tall (19cm head tube [22.5cm with headset], 78cm saddle height) and still rides better than my old Cervelo R3, Lynskey R330 or the Cannondales I had.

Last edited by BikeTart on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:44 am 

HA! On my ride today, there was guy who was riding a 61cm Firefly. He said, the bike is stiffer and more comfortable than his Look 695. The Firefly weighs 1292g!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:21 am 

If you want decent stiffness at that size, I'd say oversized round tubing with significant butting is the only way to do it.

Even then it becomes really tight. 100g more allowance would actually go a long way. There are many other ways to save weight on the final build.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:18 am 

Don't set a weight target and talk to a competent builder. This is the best way to end up with a frame you will like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:44 am 

KB wrote:
In general, my view is that the weight of the individual on its own is not the most important criteria. If you weigh 100kg, but don't put out much power, then having a light weight frame is not so critical IMO. However, if you're heavy and generate significant power, then the stiffness becomes an issue. Looking at the bare numbers regarding strength, I was shown a table which supports Rusty's claim that 953 is significantly stiffer than titanium.

953, 931 and 853 are indeed all stiffer than 6.4ti, but as the OP wants a Ti bike I guess he's discounted them.

Moots, Indy, Firefly, Lynksey, Baum, Enigma, Van Nicholas all make great ti frames all with pro's and cons, just find the one that fits your dimensions, your power output and wallet and go for it!

Pegoretti Responsorium
Parlee Z5i
Donhou Commuter
1946 MacLeans Featherweight (L'Eroica!)
1991 Cannondale SM1000 (currently being renovated)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:31 pm 

Holland Exogrid with internal Di2
http://www.hollandcycles.com/bikes/basics
http://www.roadbikeaction.com/tech--pro ... oGrid.html

I own 2 of these and they are unbelivable!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:06 am 

If stiffness was the main factor I'd say these look nice but @ 1300 gms for a 54cm doesn't look good for OP intended size...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/06/20/new ... ti-racier/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I enjoy climbing...I enjoy seeing people disappear behind me." - Robert Millar

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:06 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:39 pm 

I'm 100kgs and went to Baum with a brief for everything but bike weight (well maybe weight was there but not at the top of my list). Darren knew I was a weight weenie - I took my 5,5kg BMC with me to show my current setup. My size 56 Corretto came in a shade over 1420g - Being a Corretto it had about 100g to 150g of beautiful paintwork on it so might have been built down to 1300g raw.
The ride quality made any concerns about weight evaporate on first outing. The finished bike came in at 7kg on the dot with completely standard Campy SR, Fulcrum wheels etc etc - ie 'the solid stuff' but was far nicer to ride in all directions that the BMC
In a nutshell, if you are after ride qality (which is what Ti is all about) don't obsess about frame weight - find a manufacturer who you feel genuinely understands what you want and take what they recommend you will not regret the outcome. I've even started putting 'the solid stuff' on my BMC in an attempt to come closer to the feeling of the Ti bike.

'72 Cinelli SC
'86 Giro Pinarello Team Issue
'58 Bianchi Tour De France (in bits)
2011 BMC Pro Machine 5.6kg
the 2014 project

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next