Best light Titanium frame for a large rider?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

The thread is linked below - no weights because I can't be arsed with that. A few things have changed (first weighed with Lightweight clinchers and Tune cranks, now running Mad Fibers [lighter] and Shimano carbon DA cranks [heavier]) but it should roughly balance out.

Rush

by Rush

BikeTart wrote:The thread is linked below - no weights because I can't be arsed with that.

Ahem...this is weight weenies! :lol:

by Weenie

billyd0012

by billyd0012

Look's like the original OP ended up selling the bike (see the classified section). I'd be interested to hear what he didn't like about as I was seriously considering making an offer (too late as family and work got in the way)........

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

I´ve tried a lot of titanium frames and I am a big rider 196/92 kg.

The prettiest but also the flexiest was the De Rosa titanium.
Stiffest a GT Edge. In the middle was a Cube a Lynskey and a Merlin. I ended up with a Litespeed Vortex frame from 2003 (thank you ebay). Made it into a modern "retro" bike. It´s fun and comfortable to ride but it´s not by any means close to the stiffness of a modern high end carbon (or even aluminium) frame.

The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

barsook77

by barsook77

Eriksen...hands down with Sandvik and Haynes tubing.

Svetty

by Svetty

Rather sad that it didn't turn out to be what he wanted as it's a desirable frame and he gave the impression of really wanting for it to be his ideal bike.
Perhaps reality can never match unrealistic expectation. .....

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Svetty wrote:Rather sad that it didn't turn out to be what he wanted as it's a desirable frame and he gave the impression of really wanting for it to be his ideal bike.
Perhaps reality can never match unrealistic expectation. .....

Before this thread derails...

Firefly builds beautiful frames and they are a great group to work with but due to an unfortunate series of events the frame that I had built didn't fit me correctly.

This was in no way Firefly's fault and one day I hope to be riding another one of their bikes :)