2011 Scott Addict R1,R2,R3 frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ArferBar

by ArferBar

ZZzzzZZzzzzz...........its not a repainted R2 as the carbon finish on the inside was different, when i spoke to scott and told them that it was heavier they said 'yeah but its stiffer'.

yeah apparently the R1 and the RC are the same apart from the 'DI2', and im struggling to see anything on the frame that would make it a DI2 specific frame.....the only thing is a small hole behind the BB, but its not big enough for a DI2 wire and all it seems to do is let water into the BB, and the R2 had the same small hole, i cant think why its the DI2 version as nothing is different.......

if someone has the answers i would be interested to hear them, just seems like a normal frame

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Ok, you may be onto something. At first I assumed you were the guy in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=69740&start=75
with a heavier than expected Addict, but in reality you are two different people with warranty replacement Addict RC framesets with ~920g/380g weight.
Based on this guy's 58cm R1
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=81570&hilit=addict+R1
we should be expecting weights around ~840g/320g (I'm assuming the two RC frames weighed were smaller than 58cm).
and based on almost every previous generation Addict SL/R1, we should be around 810g/300g.
So there are a few explanations
1. When the new generation of addicts came out, the framesets got about 100g/80g heavier without telling anyone/advertising so.
2. The addict RC is heavier than the R1
3. Warranty replacement frames sent out were one-offs that were heavier than advertised due to a inavailability of stock because of a transition to the Foil framesets

I had a 2010 Addict R2 that was damaged in an accident and replaced with a new R1 frameset about 9 months ago. I haven't weighed either frameset, but made the assumption that I was indeed getting a lighter bike as a result.
I'm not going to take apart my entire bike just to hunt down 150g, but at the very least I could check the fork weight to see if I've got a heavy fork too.
Are there any 2010/2011 Addict owners who have verified weights of the frame/fork?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

jmilliron wrote:I don't believe Addicts are made anymore, so you might be getting stock that was initially rejected...

I think this could be true since it also happend to me (I'm "that guy"). Perhaps they are at the bottom of the Addict barrel.

Also, kulivontot, you forgot to mention that my frame was not only heavier (apples-to-apples frameset, as mine doesn't have DI2 holes), but unrideable as well (It's impossible to install a headset with the fork I received. New one on the way... we'll see.)
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

ArferBar

by ArferBar

That first guys R1/RC had a threaded BB, mines push fit as to be lighter but i guess it doesnt matter as the second guy had a threaded older frame that was way lighter.
my frames have been 54cm, im preetty jealouse as that guys R1 was waaay lighter and was a 58cm!!!

2.its possible that the RC could be heavier then the R1, but its also heavier then the R2 tho..

im not very impressed that its so much heavier then previous generations and as i said earlier post i was expecting what the other guys were for it to be 160 ish g's lighter], i think im going to phone scott soon to try get an explanation....but then i may be pushing my luck and being annoying since im on my 4th frame.

if someone asked my if they should get a carbon Scott i would say only if its cheep

Mikmik

by Mikmik

kulivontot wrote:Are there any 2010/2011 Addict owners who have verified weights of the frame/fork?

2011 R1 frame + fork + all bearings = 1200gr.

The only thing is I didn't measure on digi scales (as I didn't have any at that stage) so it was done on a baking analogue scale....not sure of the discrepancy there.
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

ArferBar

by ArferBar

thats much lighter if including bearings

sgray

by sgray

Very strange, I just picked up a NOS 2011 56cm (Large) Addict RC frame on closeout. Stripped down the weights came out as follows;

Large/56cm Addict RC Frame with derailleur hangers - 842g
Addict RC Fork Uncut 300mm - 327g
Ritchey WCS Zero stack headset, including bearing cups, crown race + Topcap - 80g
Shimano BB86 Bottom bracket - 72g

Did the 54cm pictured have the Pressfit Shimano BB installed? It ships that way from the factory, adds ~72g to the weight.
Fork have the compression plug installed?....the stock one is heavy, about 30g if I recall.

sgray

by sgray

ArferBar wrote:ZZzzzZZzzzzz...........its not a repainted R2 as the carbon finish on the inside was different, when i spoke to scott and told them that it was heavier they said 'yeah but its stiffer'.

yeah apparently the R1 and the RC are the same apart from the 'DI2', and im struggling to see anything on the frame that would make it a DI2 specific frame.....the only thing is a small hole behind the BB, but its not big enough for a DI2 wire and all it seems to do is let water into the BB, and the R2 had the same small hole, i cant think why its the DI2 version as nothing is different.......

if someone has the answers i would be interested to hear them, just seems like a normal frame

On the RC there should be a plug in the Headtube junction for the cable to run through, sure that's an RC frame?

Mikmik

by Mikmik

ArferBar wrote:thats much lighter if including bearings

oh yeah and it's a 58. Let's just say the scales read in my favour then and call it 1250....still it's light. Or should I say I am happy. Actually, I just remembered the thing is all stripped down. I'll get back to you guys with a more accurate weight.

Stay tuned.....
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Hmmm... The mystery unfolds. I just took the fork off my 2011 Addict R1 that I got as a replacement frame in September 2011 and weighed it. I took off the bearings and the top part of the compression plug (I didn't want to *f##k* around with ripping out a 10g piece of metal). I measured 376g with the fork cut to 230mm. This puts it in line with the 390g uncut fork that jvanv8 got from warranty. Thus I have every reason to suspect that I also have a frame that weighs around 900g as opposed to the 800g advertised. If this is the case, how do I know that I even have an HMX frame as opposed to Scott simply taking old stock of R2's and giving them R1/RC paintjobs?
This is actually really disturbing as I actually paid $1300 for the crash replacement plan thinking I'd be getting a significant upgrade! My fork was really the only thing that was damaged in my crash, but I figured for a little extra cash, I'd upgrade the whole frameset. If I'd known they'd be sending me the same frameset I already had, I would've saved $1k and just bought an actual lightweight fork!

ArferBar

by ArferBar

SGRAY-my pictured 54cm addict RC had no bearings installed at all or the compression plug, only hangers, does your rc have anything extra to help for DI2? like extra holes ect..??? mines 54CM and it heavier then yours :(((((( it should be the same frame?!?!?!?! any pictures of your frame please???

a plug????? from the outside inside???? like thru the headtube?, it has non of that.....

im starting to think that if i started stripping the paint back on my RC i would start finding R2 red paint, would explain why its heavier then R2 due to the extra coat of paint.

are we going to start contacting scott then?????? for an explanation????

btw you can take out the compression plug with a spoke, you hook it under and pull both bits out, i wanted to know how much mine weighed then it started slipping so i swapped it for a cervelo glue in metal sleeve star nut affair

ArferBar

by ArferBar

kulivontot wrote:Hmmm... The mystery unfolds. I just took the fork off my 2011 Addict R1 that I got as a replacement frame in September 2011 and weighed it. I took off the bearings and the top part of the compression plug (I didn't want to *f##k* around with ripping out a 10g piece of metal). I measured 376g with the fork cut to 230mm. This puts it in line with the 390g uncut fork that jvanv8 got from warranty. Thus I have every reason to suspect that I also have a frame that weighs around 900g as opposed to the 800g advertised. If this is the case, how do I know that I even have an HMX frame as opposed to Scott simply taking old stock of R2's and giving them R1/RC paintjobs?
This is actually really disturbing as I actually paid $1300 for the crash replacement plan thinking I'd be getting a significant upgrade! My fork was really the only thing that was damaged in my crash, but I figured for a little extra cash, I'd upgrade the whole frameset. If I'd known they'd be sending me the same frameset I already had, I would've saved $1k and just bought an actual lightweight fork!

mines 380g and was a warrenty

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Not all RC models have the DI2 plug.

Also, anyone remember the VeloNews report of Cavendish's Addict?
"Cav’s Addict is essentially the same as he’s used all season. It’s got a fork with a little extra material than stock, for stiffness;"
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

wrenchmonkey

by wrenchmonkey

My R1's fork weighed 325g uncut and my XXL/61cm frame weighed 975 with the press fit BB installed and all frame fittings (seatpost clamp, der hanger, etc)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sgray

by sgray

ArferBar wrote:SGRAY-my pictured 54cm addict RC had no bearings installed at all or the compression plug, only hangers, does your rc have anything extra to help for DI2? like extra holes ect..??? mines 54CM and it heavier then yours :(((((( it should be the same frame?!?!?!?! any pictures of your frame please???

a plug????? from the outside inside???? like thru the headtube?, it has non of that.....

im starting to think that if i started stripping the paint back on my RC i would start finding R2 red paint, would explain why its heavier then R2 due to the extra coat of paint.

are we going to start contacting scott then?????? for an explanation????

btw you can take out the compression plug with a spoke, you hook it under and pull both bits out, i wanted to know how much mine weighed then it started slipping so i swapped it for a cervelo glue in metal sleeve star nut affair

The Addict RC should have two DI2 specific drillings. One on the left side of the head tube junction, and one on the underneath of the down tube just above the bottom bracket. Both come with plastic plugs if you're using a traditional cable setup.

Also there is the hole on back of seat-tube you describe, looks too small for DI2 wire.