One frame to see you through for a little while

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Ok so it's not going to be very smiled upon to bringing new bikes into the home for a bit but I have a 'window' in which to get something in so the task is....

Budget- 2,000 Eurish for frame + fork max, + points if less

Me- 180cm, 75 kgs, let's call me a puncheur more than anything else. Live in the alps so livelier riding mixed in w/ slower mountain rides.

Need- Race frame w/ a smidge of comfort (got long legs/short torso as well so needs to not be insanely slammed), doesn't have to be silly light, around 1kg to 1.1kgs is fine, but obv extra points for lightness

Must- Either last 3 years of pretty heavy travel (usually outside the car, sometimes on the plane) or have such a great warranty dept that you can get it replaced quickly. I'll have an alu training bike in reserve.

Doesn't- Have to have cache etc, this is a tool for a job.

Ideas so far...

EPQ- a bit over budget, but should be durable
Giant TCR SL
Cervelo S3- these can be had for this budget now
Trek Madone 6 series
Canyon Aeroad

Don'ts...

Cannondale- too stretched
Pinarello- too fragile
Scott- too fragile
Last edited by ultyguy on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

What size do you need ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Generally 56-ish toptube with 73/73 angles, up or down from there depending on angles.

c50jim

by c50jim

I'm a Colnago guy - feel most comfortable with its handling. You might be able to get a C50 or Extreme Power NOS for something more like your price if you look around but they'll be on the heavy side of your weights. I had a Cervelo R3 and found it faster handling than the Colnagos. If you like that, it's good and Cervelos are light but I sort of like the old style stable bike where you can eat your dinner while riding without touching the bars.

On the fragility of Pinarellos, I was in the Dolomites a couple of years ago and not happy with my rental bike. Bought a Di2 Dogma and loved it at the Maratona dles Dolomiti. Somehow I managed to crash it the next day (my son says I hit a rock) at 58.3 km/hr according to my Garmin. The carbon bar was dinged and the shifter hoods. The bike is still going well for its new owner. I think fragility is luck of the draw in the way you fall as much as it is in the bike.

ticou

by ticou

Met a chap at the cafe today riding a 1986 steel Mercx; his racing steel weighs 14.5 lbs. Just a thought.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Saw the S-3 on the list have you considered the R-3? or the R-3 Team?

Franklin

by Franklin

Race: Alu and a par of extra wheels (Cosmic Carbone Bombproof). And you could walk away with cash left.

Rose, Canyon, Ridley, Cube, Stevens, Fort

And if you want an "exclusivity/personal touch", don't forget that they are often rebadged by local LBS in any paintscheme you can think of. So you would have your own paint and a bike from the LBS you support 8)

Also, if you are traveling a lot, Carbon is expensive and scratches could affect integrity.
And good (cheap overbuilt!) Alu certainly can survive a few years of hard life.

To sum it up: your useage makes Alu the primary choice imho.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Great comments weenies, keep them coming-

c50jim- Good points for sure and in face I think an Extreme Power can be had in my size for around 1,500 so that would fit the bill. The only thing is that I have a feeling I would crave the increased stiffness and tapered steerer of the EPS/Q? I think the geo works well and there's lots of testimonies of them being quite durable, but as you said it is a touch of a lottery with these things. I think inherrently tube-lug or wrapped is going to be a bit tougher then monocoque, but what do i know.

ticou- good point, I have to admit that I've looked out the corner of my eye at the new Condor super accaio

shoopdawoop- totally makes sense except for one really dumb thing on my side.....my wife has an R3 team, it hurts to be his and hers :D The S3 appeals as it does have a bit of placebo aero yet supposedly a bit comfier than an S2. I actually demoed a Soloist Carbon ages ago before I rode anywhere near as much as I do now and didn't find it uncomfy, but that said, it was for less than 2 hrs and my position has changed a lot.

Franklin- I have a Ridley Scandium that is currently being built up from the parts of my cracked Merckx EMX-5 so that my alu ride for shorter stuff. It looks a stout ride and I've got some Reynolds tubbies for race day I can chuck on it. I have a feeling that it's not going to be terribly refined though and I do ride around 10 big sportives a year on top (5-8 hrs) so as mentioned above, a touch of comfort is important. I owned a Canyon Ultimate Cf (2009 I think) which was great over short distances, but whatever 'Tour' mag says, it wasn't comfy. It would take big hits very poorly in my opinion even if it did ok w/ buzz. My Merckx had a bit of buzz, but most importantly for me took big hits in stride very well and held it's line.

edit- I'll defend my Aeroad choice up there as it's reportedly a decent bit softer riding than the Ulimtate cf

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The 2011 Kuota KOM frame can be founds in that price range, I think, if that sort of no frills race bike floats your boat.

davidalone

by davidalone

if you're travelling alot, try the Ritchey Ti/Carbon Break away frame. nice high performance frame, easy to disassemble and transport. Ti makes majority of it near indestructible. carbon seatstays (but how often do seat stays get damaged?) . wrap it up with high quality alu bars and a thomson post and you have a bike you can take anywhere and race with no issue.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Yup the Kom fits, but have also heard they're a touch fragile- anyone know how well Kuota's warranty has been? Haven't really heard much about them review-wise.

Don't need a folder, travel more by car than by plane.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Regarding fragility -- the recent interations of the KOM have been beefed up compared to (i think) the 2008 model. It's also a bit heavier now, which in my book makes the claim more credible than the usual marketing blurb that comes with a new bike release.

Have to pass on the warranty, "unfortunately" I didn't need to test that yet ...

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Franklin wrote:Race: Alu and a par of extra wheels (Cosmic Carbone Bombproof). And you could walk away with cash left.

Rose, Canyon, Ridley, Cube, Stevens, Fort

A
Also, if you are traveling a lot, Carbon is expensive and scratches could affect integrity.
And good (cheap overbuilt!) Alu certainly can survive a few years of hard life.

To sum it up: your useage makes Alu the primary choice imho.

Amen to this. Certainly in Europe. Canyon & Cube & Rose, are the best idea. None are as stiff as the old 2009 Canyon (had one, loved it)...

andyindo

by andyindo

ultyguy wrote:Great comments weenies, keep them coming-

c50jim- Good points for sure and in face I think an Extreme Power can be had in my size for around 1,500 so that would fit the bill. The only thing is that I have a feeling I would crave the increased stiffness and tapered steerer of the EPS/Q? I think the geo works well and there's lots of testimonies of them being quite durable, but as you said it is a touch of a lottery with these things. I think inherrently tube-lug or wrapped is going to be a bit tougher then monocoque, but what do i know.

Seriously I doubt you'd notice the difference in stiffness between an Extreme Power(which was built to be stiff!) and an EPS/Q.
Also I can vouch for Lugged Colnagos durability. They are very strong and much stronger than most monocoque frames. I've had a C40 for 9 years now and I abuse that thing daily and its still perfect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Franklin

by Franklin

Ok, if racing is covered thru the Ridley and comfort+durability are he key factors we shift to Titanium.

Enigma: http://www.enigmabikes.com/
Van Nicholas: http://vannicholas.com/

You could try Spin, though I have no experience with them
http://www.spincycleworks.com/servlet/StoreFront

And don't forget Steel with a personal paintjob!