HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:24 pm 

I have a 2011 Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL3. It has the Carbon Shell OSBB. I have a Campagnolo 11 speed, Ultra Torque, Super Record crank installed. Currently, the Campy 68x42 cups are installed inside the Delrin Rings/Cups. This was the way Specialized suggested we do it, and it's been great. I should add I personally didn't do the build, my bike shop did. Now, Specialized makes some "cups" that replace the Campy cups and the Delrin rings...it's the new "supported" solution. They made it for the new Campy EPS equipped Venge (which is unbelievably cool by the way).

I had my bike shop order one in for me, and it should be here on Monday. I have been doing most of my own wrenching for a while, but have never messed with the bottom bracket/crank. I'm curious how difficult of a job this is...to remove the crank and cups/bearings that are in place, and put new ones in. I have a pretty extensive tool collection, and I'm not opposed to buying something if it will prove to be cost effective (IE: doesn't cost 100x what the shop would charge to do the work).

Is this a difficult job? Anyone care to share the steps and point out any "specialty" tools that may be required? Thansk in advance.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:24 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:51 am 
Shop Owner

with the specialized osbb cups, everything is pretty easy. careful use of a long punch and a plastic faced hammer will get them out easy peasy. a standard headset cup removal tool may work as well. getting the new ones in should only require a headset/large bearing press.