HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:43 am 

A friend of mine said he's able to help me pick up an S-works Toupe saddle from Thailand for a steal, and took a photo of it
I've never seen the brand name splashed out across the saddle for this particular saddle however, though the shape and form of it looks like it - is this look new for the year, or is that actually something else? I'll really rather have it in plain white!

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:43 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:03 pm 
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

My guess? Counterfeit.

It's a cross between the Chicane S-Works graphics and the Toupe S-Works shape. And they don't have the red tape on the rails on the aftermarket version.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:37 pm 

oh no, it's coming after me!
coincidence or not, I lost an auction on ebay just yesterday for this same saddle. cant see from your pic what the rails are, but the one from ebay had solid Ti (as oposed to regular hollow Ti from the expert toupe). I wanted it for the carbon shell, Im loving my s-works with the carbon shell as it flex more than regular and so absorbs the road better than the traditional toupe even though it has less padding. I was runner up yesterday, it sold for $183 - which is still not bad, barely half the s-works just because the carbon rails in it take 40 grams more, but this is way more exclusive - Im always checking for carbon toupes and that is the first time I seen this model there. so my guess it is not a counterfeit, spec is doing team versions of the carbon shell toupe just as they did different team versions in the past. Anyway it is good I didnt overspend since Im planning to ask Berk for a combo soon!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:39 pm 

Ok I'm an idiot for answering my own question - I never seen it in this graphic scheme before but apparently it does exist on the official website! I still like the pure white one though, but my friend says they can't order that for some reason. Price is damn good though.
http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/ftb/saddles/road-multisportsaddles/s-workstoupe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:43 am 

This saddle is stiff, stiff, stiff! There's barely any give to the shell at all and a buddy who just bought one (and was previously using a Romin Team) complains about pain. :cry: It might be a good idea to go with the other Pro model for a little more weight (140-ish grams) but with more padding. On the other hand, we ARE weight weenies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:07 am 

slightly different graphics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:55 am 

I've seen these designs in the Philippines, can't say for sure if they're counterfeit but I've seen them in a couple of respectable LBS. As early as 2010 I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:24 am 

Using a toupe currently with hollow Ti rails and thought the slightly wider nose and 50gm weight savings will be good. Am able to get it at 2/3 of the standard price brand new, so definitely worth a try IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:22 pm 

Kayrehn wrote:
Ok I'm an idiot for answering my own question [/url]

you're not (says me)! I also knew I had seen it somewhere before at their site.. and I dont agree that this saddle is stiff as in no give at all. But that's my personal opinion, I weight 150lbs and I dont pedal so hard..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:44 pm 

BikeTart wrote:
My guess? Counterfeit.

It's a cross between the Chicane S-Works graphics and the Toupe S-Works shape. And they don't have the red tape on the rails on the aftermarket version.

Yes, it is a stock graphic and they do have the red logo on the carbon railed version. I worked at a Specialized dealer and the saddle appears odd only because the S-Works Toupe only comes in a wooden box.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:44 pm