Which 25mm tubular tire?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

I've been debating on buying a set of Zipp 303 firecrest and I planning on running 25mm tires for a comfy ride, I've searched for 25mm tubular tired I've come up,with these 3, anyone have a preferences to these three brands?

http://www.vittoria.com/en/product/cotton-tires/#

http://www.veloflextires.com/veloflex_roubaix_tubular2.htm

http://www.contionline.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/race/tubularroad/competition/competition_en.html (seems harder to find)

by Weenie

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I tried the vittoria's in 25 and they were good.
The Veloflex Roubaix is a very nice tire too. 6/9 bar pressure. I used those as well and they come out a bit more narrow as compared to the vitto's. The roubaix's are more designed to run at lower pressures - they do roll great but for a pure road tire i'd go with the vitto.

Forget the Conti's :D

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

strobbekoen wrote:I tried the vittoria's in 25 and they were good.
The Veloflex Roubaix is a very nice tire too. 6/9 bar pressure. I used those as well and they come out a bit more narrow as compared to the vitto's. The roubaix's are more designed to run at lower pressures - they do roll great but for a pure road tire i'd go with the vitto.

Forget the Conti's :D

The Vittoria's are nice: But way to puncture prone... I prefer Conti's, because of their best overall performance (puncture resistance, rolling resistance and price).

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I'm riding Continentals only for the last 4 years and had never a single flat on the road , and I'm talking 50.000 + miles. I used the Sprinter, Gatorskin, GP 4000 and since available the Competition in 25mm and they are by far the best and changed the ride feel to a Cadillac. They also fit perfect to my wider HED wheels. I also would like to mention that I only ride carbon tubular wheels and don't have special wheels for training, like clinchers.

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

So it between the veloflex & competitions

kgt

by kgt

Veloflex

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Unfortunately the Vittoria vs Veloflex arguments are more often than not based on brand loyalty. I for one would be genuinely interested how the Vittoria Pave (24mm) stacks up against Veloflex' Paris Roubaix (between 24 and 25mm apparenty).

shinyboy

by shinyboy

Do yourself a favour and get the Veloflex
Roubaix, if you like skinwall - Arenberg, if you prefer all black

HillRPete

by HillRPete

shiny, it would be great if you could go into some detail about your recommendation -- particularly regarding protection from cuts and punctures. Cheers.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

wassertreter wrote:Unfortunately the Vittoria vs Veloflex arguments are more often than not based on brand loyalty. I for one would be genuinely interested how the Vittoria Pave (24mm) stacks up against Veloflex' Paris Roubaix (between 24 and 25mm apparenty).

I'd say the vittoria pave get cuts easier than the veloflex roubaix but neither actually puncture easily. The roubaix rolls better so between those two, I would take the veloflex roubaix. For normal roads I'd take the CX II. For 22 or 23mm tires, the Veloflex Carbon.

shinyboy

by shinyboy

what strobbekoen said.

the Roubaix/Arenberg is everything you could want in a tire - grippy wet or dry, supple and they certainly seem to be harder wearing than the Vittoria's

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Interesting about the puncture protection. Does the Paris Roubaix / Arenberg have a protection strip as well, like the Pave? I thought the latter might be better for that reason.

ducan

by ducan

Ensure you will have enough clearance in your frame. Sounds like a wide combo.

Will a tubular tyre stretch on a wider rim like a clincher would ?

shinyboy

by shinyboy

wassertreter wrote:Interesting about the puncture protection. Does the Paris Roubaix / Arenberg have a protection strip as well, like the Pave? I thought the latter might be better for that reason.

Yes it has a protection strip - not sure if it's kevlar though

ergott

by ergott

ducan wrote:Will a tubular tyre stretch on a wider rim like a clincher would ?

No. A tubular tire is a self contained pressure vessel. It will measure the same regardless of the rim.

by Weenie